LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Considering an LS 460

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-13, 11:44 PM
dsadsauser
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering an LS 460

Hey everyone. I am considering buying an LS 460. I currently have a 335i, which is absolutely fantastic and has not given me a single problem. However, my wife is pregnant with our third child and I think it is time for me to go to a full-size car. I know it will be tight, but I am pretty sure I can fit 3 car seats in the backseat. I have a few questions:

1. How well does the AWD perform in the snow? Ever any issues with the drivetrain?

2. How can I visually tell if the LS 460 has the radar cruise control or lane guidance system? Is it on the steering wheel?

3. Does the "L" version shrink the size of the trunk?

4. I keep seeing there are control arm issues with this car. How much do they cost to repair if that goes down? Is it likely?

5. Does the novelty of the LS 460 wear off quick?

6. Do things start breaking after 100k?

7. Can you play .mp3s on a flash drive in an 07-09? If not, '10+?

8. Should I go CPO and spend a grand or two more?

Thanks much for your time and responses. Feel free to answer one or two.
Old 12-29-13, 03:43 AM
philj
Driver

Wow you ask a lot of Questions!

1. I am on my 2nd AWD and it drives fine. I never feel out of control. I do not drive crazy but I do push the car and I have never been disappointed in the snow or around the curves. I think a lot has to do with your tires also.

2. my 2013 has little warring lights in the rear view mirrors to tell me if someone is in my blind spot. I like that a lot. I do not know about the radar based cruse.

3. I had a 09 L and I went to non L in 2013. The trunk is the same size on both. they add the extra room in the back seat of the car. The long body is nice but it is just a tad harder to park and and turn. However if parking is not a issue the extra room is a real plus. It is like a Limo in the back. You better check the center in the back because a person can not sit there even though it look like they can.

4. I never had any service issues not even brakes in 78,000 miles but I am a very careful driver and I avoid bumps..

5. I hated to sell my car. so no IMO.

6 N/A

7. my car was a 09 and I had to copy on to the car HD via CD. The 13 has all the options. Bluetooth, thumb drive via USB and iPhone or iPod. (the new interface is much better)

8. I would drive the F Sport. I went with that and it is more fun to drive. The seats are also nicer.

good luck!
Old 12-29-13, 06:17 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

2. See post 10 in this thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...e-control.html

8. For a grand more I think it is worth it.
Old 12-29-13, 08:29 PM
dsadsauser
Pole Position

^ ^ ^ Thanks to both of you. Excellent information.
Old 12-31-13, 11:13 PM
thegov3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a LS 460 SWB AWD 2009. I love it. Amazing in the snow.

Great for a pregnant person. Very smooth. But before you buy, I would look at the rear seat close and see if you can truly get three car seats in the back with LATCH straps (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children). Yes, there are three seat belts, but the middle is tight. Plus, like I said, I am not sure if the LS has three LATCH tether locations.
Old 01-01-14, 05:36 AM
Greezy
Rookie

I've only had my (08 LS SWB RWD) for a couple weeks but I can tell you a little.

1) The awd model is really good in the snow from what I've heard. I have the rear wheel drive LS and I thought it would be useless in any amount of snow, but to my surprise I took it out in about 3 inches and it was completely fine and I didnt get stuck once. I was actually having fun on open roads, turning traction off and with a little gas and the wheel turnt the car really liked to go sideways drifting for me without too much computer interference. I doubt I'd be able to get anywhere far with 6 inches or more though. Like someone else said a lot of this depends on your tires.

2) There are two ways to tell. One, the steering wheel will have a button for it on the right side in the middle. Basically there's a Hold feature standard on the left side of the wheel, and opposite that button will be your radar cruise control button. Then if you look at the Lexus symbol on the grille, you'll notice there's a clear screen over it. Like there's a mini plastic window over the L symbol. That is where they house the radar I guess.

3) Not sure but I've heard people say that having seperate rear climate control shrinks the trunk a little. Don't take my word for that tho.

4) I saw a lot of control arm issues also. This is something that concerns me a little, but my car is covered under cpo warranty for another 3yr/50k miles so I have time. I wouldn't stress too hard about it.

5) I just got mine so its hard to say. But to me this car is timeless. I doubt I'll get tired of it any time soon.

6) I'd imagine most cars after 100k tend to need things replaced and there will be some minor issues. Most of that all has to do with the driver and how well the car was maintained. A lot of factors play into that but apparently these cars are "bulletproof" so for now I'll take that as peace of mind

7) on 07-09 I doubt it. On a 2010+, probably.

8) To me getting a cpo was the only option. I would only buy a pre owned lexus from a lexus dealership and if it's not a cpo than why? There has to be a reason they don't want to certify it. Unless the mileage is over 60-70k which I think is the limit for them to certify a car then I don't see why you would accept anything less than a cpo. There is a whole checklist of things the dealership needs to make sure are good (to a certain percentage) before it can be certified such as brakes, tires, etc.

Hope this helped, good luck.