LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

8x BMW owner migrating to Lexus LS F Sport

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-17, 01:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
uhhhhhh.. did you not test drive the car before you paid for it?
He didn't. He bought it and had it delivered to him without ever having driven one, posted another thread about it. Can you even imagine that? LOL

This is what happens when you buy a car without driving it, and without doing any research into it at all.

Yes it is a terrible sport sedan, because it isn't a sport sedan at all. I can't imaging coming from a BMW 6 GC and going to an LS when you actually want a sport sedan. It would be terrible. It feels like you're driving a huge boat...because thats what it is...a huge boat.

I'm 36 and am VERY happy with mine...but I bought the sort of car that I wanted, a big soft riding comfortable sedan, and thats what I got. I would have no interest in a BMW 6 Series GC. They're gorgeous, its just not my sort of car. The LS has sold well through its life, so clearly there are plenty of people who do want this sort of ride and feel to a car. You should drive an LS430, the predecessor to the LS460. The 460 feels like a sports car compared to the handling of an LS430.

Its not the car's fault, its his fault for buying a car he's never driven and clearly never even done any research into. Seriously, watch one YouTube review and he would know its not for him. The LS is widely known in the automotive world for being just as you describe. Its not unlike buying a big Cadillac or Lincoln Town Car and complaining about the same things.

Originally Posted by WILLY1
On mine the jolt was so bad I thought I had a control arm issue, cause it almost felt like a clunk when I hit the brakes, and swapping to the akebono pads fixed that and really changed the whole feel of the brakes to that smooth , gradual braking

The only thing is I'm not sure if they make akebono pads for the F sport, mine is non F 460L
The reason the brakes are grabby according to my mechanic is that Lexus started using very thick pads OEM, aftermarket pads are thinner and the grabbiness goes away. Sure enough just like you replacement pads and rotors did away with the grabbiness completely.

Last edited by SW17LS; 09-14-17 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-14-17, 03:23 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
He didn't. He bought it and had it delivered to him without ever having driven one, posted another thread about it. Can you even imagine that? LOL

This is what happens when you buy a car without driving it, and without doing any research into it at all.

Yes it is a terrible sport sedan, because it isn't a sport sedan at all. I can't imaging coming from a BMW 6 GC and going to an LS when you actually want a sport sedan. It would be terrible. It feels like you're driving a huge boat...because thats what it is...a huge boat.

I'm 36 and am VERY happy with mine...but I bought the sort of car that I wanted, a big soft riding comfortable sedan, and thats what I got. I would have no interest in a BMW 6 Series GC. They're gorgeous, its just not my sort of car. The LS has sold well through its life, so clearly there are plenty of people who do want this sort of ride and feel to a car. You should drive an LS430, the predecessor to the LS460. The 460 feels like a sports car compared to the handling of an LS430.

Its not the car's fault, its his fault for buying a car he's never driven and clearly never even done any research into. Seriously, watch one YouTube review and he would know its not for him. The LS is widely known in the automotive world for being just as you describe. Its not unlike buying a big Cadillac or Lincoln Town Car and complaining about the same things.

The reason the brakes are grabby according to my mechanic is that Lexus started using very thick pads OEM, aftermarket pads are thinner and the grabbiness goes away. Sure enough just like you replacement pads and rotors did away with the grabbiness completely.
lol I cant believe we are so close in age , I pictured you as this really old man for some reason

And I'm not sure if your mechanic is right or not, but my oem pads were worn so thin that the metal shims were starting to make noise, my brake sensor had already triggered long ago and they were still grabby and jolty

the akebono pads were quite thick as well

I think the material of the pads has something to do with it as well , with corvettes you can buy a kind of performance pad that grabs super hard, but creates a lot of dust and has a shorter lifespan, which to me sounds pretty much exactly like the oem pads we have
Old 09-14-17, 03:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Haha, I'm an old soul.

No clue, but the new brakes did exactly what he said they would do! Has anybody compared the physical pads themselves to replacement pads?

Mine are Centric Posi-Quiet pads, not Akebono, would lead me to believe any pad other than OEM would help.
Old 09-15-17, 12:34 AM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1

The F badge really means nothing especially when compared to the AMG or M models , I think you get a slightly stiffer suspension or something ,,(woop-de-doo )
More than just suspension... List below is specific to 2010-12 models, the 13+ has a Torsen differential. More transmission modes, an Alcantara headliner and more chassis bracing.

​​​​​​-19x8 split 10-spoke forged alloy wheels made by BBS. 245/45/19 tires.
-5 piece Aero kit includes front lower spoilers, side rocker panels and rear lower spoiler with blacked out air diffuser. Unique front sport grille (Also available as a RWD stand alone option part of the 'Apperance Package' which featured different 19 inch 5 spoke wheels)
-Black/Saddle Brown unique interior trim with additional leather on doors over 'base' models. Ecsaine headliner.
-Sport front seats with additional side bolsters and support
-Dark Brown Ash Burl trim with matte finish
-Perforated leather-trimmed and heated steering wheel
-Brembo 6 piston front brakes used in the ISF with 380mm rotors and high friction
pads
-Custom 2mm larger stabilizer bars and absorber. 21mm total
-Quicker shifting Lexus’ Sport Direct Shift transmission with M mode also used in the GSF/ISF with rev matching down shifts. Upshifts are 0.3 seconds while downshifts are 0.2 seconds. Aluminum Paddle shifters 
-Sport-tuned air suspension
-Sport-tuned steering with Variable Gear Ratio Steering (VGRS)
-Driving Response and Acceleration Management System (DRAMS) have been exclusively tuned
for the Sports version

Originally Posted by bankerbry
I recently switched from a 14 BMW 650i Grant Coupe to a 14 LS460 F Sport, and I couldn't be more disappointed. My goal also was to decrease my cost of ownership by getting into a more reliable vehicle, but its definitely not worth it. This is an absolutely pathetic attempt at a sports sedan. I owned several A8's also, and there is no comparison. The Lexus may be quiet, but that's all it has going for it. The performance is pathetic and it doesn't have many of the standard features of the other vehicles in its class. The Lexus looks ok from certain angles, but still looks old and boxy with too small wheels. It feels like your driving a huge boat. Also the infotainment system is about a decade behind. No digital dash, cc doesn't tell you the exact speed, the satellite presets doesn't tell you the name of the station etc.
If you are under the age of 70, you need to look at the BMW, Audi or MB.
You should have bought a GSF.

We are in this forum because we enjoy reliability. No it is not a sports sedan by AMG, M, or S standards. The LS has never felt connected to the road like those cars. It's roots have always been a soft riding sedan. To say it rides like a boat is on par with previous generations.

The Brembos are touchy and difficult to modulate but work great. While the 8 speed in 'M' mode may not be a quick shifting as some of the German units, it does work well as proven in the ISF/GSF/RCF. What the Sport/FSport does lack is the 5L Yamaha tuned V8 found in those cars. Another 50 horsepower would be nice but even the new model shares the same horsepower. Calling the performance pathetic I can't agree with even though new turbo motors do have a broader range of torque. I think a major let down is the wheel size particularly width. In Toyota/Lexus fashion they have always choose conservative widths. Push it in the corners and you'll find out fast. This has been corrected in the '18 model which now wears 275s out back.
Old 09-15-17, 05:47 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by VanCityLS4
More than just suspension... List below is specific to 2010-12 models, the 13+ has a Torsen differential. More transmission modes, an Alcantara headliner and more chassis bracing.

​​​​​​-19x8 split 10-spoke forged alloy wheels made by BBS. 245/45/19 tires. +
-5 piece Aero kit includes front lower spoilers, side rocker panels and rear lower spoiler with blacked out air diffuser. Unique front sport grille (Also available as a RWD stand alone option part of the 'Apperance Package' which featured different 19 inch 5 spoke wheels)
-Black/Saddle Brown unique interior trim with additional leather on doors over 'base' models. Ecsaine headliner.
-Sport front seats with additional side bolsters and support
-Dark Brown Ash Burl trim with matte finish
-Perforated leather-trimmed and heated steering wheel +
-Brembo 6 piston front brakes used in the ISF with 380mm rotors and high friction
pads
-Custom 2mm larger stabilizer bars and absorber. 21mm total
-Quicker shifting Lexus’ Sport Direct Shift transmission with M mode also used in the GSF/ISF with rev matching down shifts. Upshifts are 0.3 seconds while downshifts are 0.2 seconds. Aluminum Paddle shifters 
-Sport-tuned air suspension
-Sport-tuned steering with Variable Gear Ratio Steering (VGRS)
-Driving Response and Acceleration Management System (DRAMS) have been exclusively tuned
for the Sports version

Without any extra power that list might as well be written in Chinese

The F sport package really certified Lexus's place as the brand that continually plays it safe

Toyota makes supercharged pick up trucks and offers supercharger packages directly from the dealer, not sure why that hasn't been allowed for the lexus lineup as well

Also I cant blame him for expecting a better performing "sports sedan" when Lexus labels it an f sport
Old 09-15-17, 06:52 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

The F sport package really certified Lexus's place as the brand that continually plays it safe

Toyota makes supercharged pick up trucks and offers supercharger packages directly from the dealer, not sure why that hasn't been allowed for the lexus lineup as well

Also I cant blame him for expecting a better performing "sports sedan" when Lexus labels it an f sport
i think the 8-time BMW owner must have had some idea of what he was getting. Certainly, a little research and some test drives would have made it obvious. All the LS-F Sport reviews I've read mention the lack of additional HP, for example.

Last edited by Gbp; 09-16-17 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Struck out "Sport" per SW15LS's below post.
Old 09-15-17, 07:56 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

Soon to be 9 x BMW owner .

Not sure if you are leasing, have a car note or paid in full your 2014 LS460 but you can try to do a private sale to get out of it and try to recoup as much of your cash as possible. Maybe you can go back to the dealership you got it from and get a "mercy trade in" for nearly all your money back and have them get you back into a car you are familiar with. While you decide try to give the LS460 a chance.

Several years back I bought a 2004 E500 Benz and the next day I wanting to give the car back to the dealership! It drove like a dream with airshocks and pulled like a train on the highway. Definitely was higher quality fit and finish than the many Lexus I've owned to but there were so many more electronic lights, noises and buzzing (SBC brakes) going no that it made me feel uneasy owning it. After 3 months I was able to sell it for $900 less that what I paid. Crossing over to a new calendar year hurt the KBB sale slightly. Real numbers, I also took a $1500 hit on registration, brake job, and tires that I put on it. So in the end it was a $2500 mistake for 3 month of owning it. Shortly after I ended up getting a 2005 Lexus GS430 and all was right again.

Last edited by JLAWS; 09-16-17 at 10:58 AM.
Old 09-15-17, 09:11 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Junglequac
I might need to rethink adding Brembos. The one thing that has always confounded me is why insurance companies do not provide a discount when folks add demonstrative superior braking for instance considering that such a high percentage of accidents involve rear ending and the like.

On Monday, I am going to look into Brembos. I shudder to think how expensive they are, but when a matter of inches can make the difference between an accident or not. It also goes without staying that the OEM's are made to a price with performance taking a back seat.

I had a 380mm GT kit on my 2007 LS460 and they would suck your eyeballs out! Worth it IMO.
Old 09-15-17, 09:21 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The LS460 is a big reliable Luxury car. If I wanted a high performance sedan I'd have a E63, S63, M5, etc. I'd rather have a better engineered, higher quality, more reliable car that I can add personal touches to and be happy with it.
Old 09-16-17, 05:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It's just a sport appearance package. Lexus isn't the only one who does it. Think M Sport BMW, AMG appearance package Mercedes. No engine changes there either.

What you describe wanting is an LS-F, not an LS F Sport.