LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

8x BMW owner migrating to Lexus LS F Sport

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-13, 11:54 AM
amit1947
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What was your poison?

It was an E60 5 series in my case.
Old 12-26-13, 04:08 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by amit1947
What was your poison?

It was an E60 5 series in my case.
It was the same brand of Scotch. 2007 525i .

What are the statistical chances that we are the only ones that experienced problems.

Every car has it's recalls and Toyota has it's share but I never experienced actual known engineering blunders that so many critical parts had to be redesign. There were also safety issues with the wiring a year before the car was sold.

Even with a warranty the car will leave you stranded without warning. This is certainly not the car for elderly people, pregnant wives or somewhere you need to be that's urgent. It's quiet embarrassing having the employees at Burger King console you as you wait for the tow truck in the middle of a cold winter morning.
Old 12-27-13, 07:48 AM
RodT
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Congrats..I love the A8 too... but you'll be getting to know your audi service advisor very well..enough so that you will know their kids birthday's and attending their soccer games loool
I like the look of all the Lexus competitors too however, I only stick with autos from Japan, they have proven their reliability worldwide, I have read several forums of the Lexus competitors with the owners faces looking like this about the constant repair bills.
Old 12-27-13, 09:20 AM
whitetooth
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RodT
I like the look of all the Lexus competitors too however, I only stick with autos from Japan, they have proven their reliability worldwide, I have read several forums of the Lexus competitors with the owners faces looking like this about the constant repair bills.
Reliability is very important, not for cars only. As long as all parts are made in Japan all is reliable but neither powerful nor fun to ride. Brakes is a good sample: Those of the LS400 could not even stop the car but did this the whole car life; reliable malfunction regarding power. Now, with powerful Brembos, it is of course not quiet. Have you ever been in an Italian restaurant or in Italy? Wonder why Lexus sells the cars with Brembo to U.S. where the speed is limit to what pedestrians can rich; LOL.

I googled around and searched the meaning of manufacturer names such as FIAT, an Italian who took over Chrysler. I thought it stands for "For Italians Adequate Transportation" but there is not such a result at Google. BMW does not stand for Bring Me to the Workshop. So, my search failed. Perhaps I have to search at Japanese Yahoo, haven't I ?

Last edited by whitetooth; 12-27-13 at 10:03 AM.
Old 12-27-13, 11:02 AM
1Putt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought BMW stood for Break My Wallet.... I have some experience coming from a 2002 E39 540i which started giving me lots of problems after about 7 years and only 55k mi. Had an 1998 E36 M3 sedan before that which was much more reliable than the 540i

Last edited by 1Putt; 12-27-13 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-27-13, 01:11 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

I happen to be a car history buff and I just started reading the Relentless pursuit.

Lexus: The Relentless Pursuit: Chester Dawson: 9780470828045: Amazon.com: Books Lexus: The Relentless Pursuit: Chester Dawson: 9780470828045: Amazon.com: Books

In the book they talk about the expectations of the LS engines and and the challenges that went into designing it. The LS engine was motivated after the design goals of the Japanese Zero engine which at the time exceeded other piston engines for its time.

If you look at so called European heritage or pedigree you will find that it's not as prestigious as one would think.
Old 12-30-13, 12:22 PM
LS460Lover
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
I drive a 13 LS460, non F Sport. I researched damn near everything about this car and decided that the AWD base model is the best of the LS line up. I have no problems at all with the analog clock and I can set it manually without the dealer, my text messages via BT can be read even when the car is moving , you just can't reply even though there are options to choose from but for some reason the car will not allow you to reply. I test drove the F Sport model and to the OP... I didn't hear a sound from the engine until I laid on the gas a little, and still barely heard anything. Jumped into an Audi A8L... Was not impressed at all with the interior although I did like the interior lighting design. The drive is nice but again, I was not impressed. I guess I chose reliability over everything else. There is the dreaded brake actuator issue with the LS, but a quick fix VIA the actuator from the 600. Other than that I have had absolutely no problems with this car. This post is solely based on my opinions ans observations.
This is the first time I hear that you can get your text messages via BT... Can you share with us how you do that?
Old 08-15-17, 06:36 AM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a 2011 LS460 & a 2005 E-60, 545i.

i know my mechanic rather well due to the 545i & it's N62 engine.
Old 08-15-17, 12:22 PM
bigsherv
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

I recently got a 2014 F Sport to replace my 2005 530i (e60). Different type of cars. The old 5 series still handles really well but it was a money pit. I feel the handling that comes with sport+ is enough for me. The extra acceleration is nice too. I won't get started on the tech. My old car had no back up camera, no bt audio, and no aux cable. It is a dream streaming music to my ML stereo.
Old 08-15-17, 02:09 PM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

Heh, that $88k 2013 A8 4.0T is now worth about $30k:
https://cargur.us/h1961
Old 08-16-17, 07:20 PM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tec80
Heh, that $88k 2013 A8 4.0T is now worth about $30k:
https://cargur.us/h1961
The 2013 LS460 started at $70k didn't it? Well, they are going for $30k now, so the difference isn't that staggering. That A8 is also a 420hp V8 twin turbo and AWD Quattro, compared to the 20 less HP and RWD LS460. Have you sat in an A8? Audi's have some of the best, highest quality interiors in the market. 4 years of ownership of an arguably more luxurious, higher performance german car comes at a price.
Old 08-18-17, 12:42 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

While I have no doubt the Brembo's on Lvbadboyz are problematic, I would reckon part of it is the nature of the beast. On a car like the LS460, I am not sure Brembo's make a great deal of sense.

Don't get me wrong, powerful brakes are exceedingly important when hauling down a 4000 pound plus car. It is just that aggressive pads with the attendant dust and comparative lower lifespan just does not really fit with pretty much a full on luxury car.

If the OEM were substandard, I would have purchased Brembo's the day I purchased the car.
Old 08-18-17, 11:48 AM
brianlin87
Resident JDM Snob

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Junglequac
While I have no doubt the Brembo's on Lvbadboyz are problematic, I would reckon part of it is the nature of the beast. On a car like the LS460, I am not sure Brembo's make a great deal of sense.

Don't get me wrong, powerful brakes are exceedingly important when hauling down a 4000 pound plus car. It is just that aggressive pads with the attendant dust and comparative lower lifespan just does not really fit with pretty much a full on luxury car.

If the OEM were substandard, I would have purchased Brembo's the day I purchased the car.
My first impression of the OEM brakes on our LS460s was just that, the brakes were subpar for a vehicle of this weight. This is subjective I'm sure, but the stopping power of the factory brakes relative to the weight of the car made it seem like the car was always sloshing forward as I approached stop signs/red lights. I changed out my factory front brakes for the Brembo GT BBK the first year I owned this car because it became unbearable to me. No complaints ever since.
Old 08-18-17, 08:57 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Braking in the LS is fine, According to Autotweek:

"....average braking distance for an elite luxury sedan."

119 feet 60-0 for the reg LS and only 4 feet shorter for the Brembo equipped F Sport. That puts the LS right in the mix for any of the large Luxury sedans.
Old 08-19-17, 08:53 PM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by brianlin87
My first impression of the OEM brakes on our LS460s was just that, the brakes were subpar for a vehicle of this weight. This is subjective I'm sure, but the stopping power of the factory brakes relative to the weight of the car made it seem like the car was always sloshing forward as I approached stop signs/red lights. I changed out my factory front brakes for the Brembo GT BBK the first year I owned this car because it became unbearable to me. No complaints ever since.
I might need to rethink adding Brembos. The one thing that has always confounded me is why insurance companies do not provide a discount when folks add demonstrative superior braking for instance considering that such a high percentage of accidents involve rear ending and the like.

On Monday, I am going to look into Brembos. I shudder to think how expensive they are, but when a matter of inches can make the difference between an accident or not. It also goes without staying that the OEM's are made to a price with performance taking a back seat.

Quick Reply: 8x BMW owner migrating to Lexus LS F Sport