LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 - Easy or Hard to Steal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-13, 02:12 PM
astrotoy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LS460 - Easy or Hard to Steal?

Sorry if this is redundant - couldn't find anything with the search function.

We've had our LS460L Exec Class for more than 5 years. As far as we know, no one has tried to steal our car, even though it is parked in carport. However, our area (SF East Bay) has just been named one of the country's hot spots for car theft. We are also about to get another fancy car (Tesla S), so my wife is now worried about car theft. Any words to reassure or frighten her?

Thanks, Larry
Old 02-01-13, 02:21 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

That's what insurance is for so I wouldn't worry about it. It's harder and harder to steal cars nowadays but if they really want it there's nothing really we can do to completely stop it from happening. They can tow a car away faster than you think.
The following users liked this post:
CamelKool (06-26-20)
Old 02-01-13, 02:57 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Well the good thing about the Tesla S is the thief can't get more than 300 miles without stopping at a charging station overnight!

We looked at that car at a Tesla showroom they have here in Mass. (they don't have a set dealer yet) and my wife absolutely loves it. Unfortunately its limitations don't work for us.

Oh, and I wouldn't worry too much about having it stolen. They are so rare it would kind of be hard to register one in any state, and I doubt if there is much demand for them in chop shops just yet.
Old 02-02-13, 01:11 AM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Just invest in one of these new high-tech anti-theft devices and sleep well at night.

Old 02-02-13, 07:37 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyV
Just invest in one of these new high-tech anti-theft devices and sleep well at night.
If they want it, they will have it. They just saw thru the steering wheel ring and pull the club off. With battery-operated reciprocal saws, takes about 10 seconds. If they want A car, the added hassle of the club works in your favor. They'll simply steal the car next to yours. But if they want YOUR car, the club or any other anti-theft device is child's play to defeat. Only effective countermeasure is to hide your car from view. Out of sight, out of mind.

Last edited by williakz; 02-02-13 at 09:22 AM.
Old 02-02-13, 08:40 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My experience with "The Club" was a positive one.

Back about 15 years ago we had a local fleet of 200 Dodge Caravans for our field techs. These were being stolen at an alarming rate, about. 10% stolen every year. One Monday when I came to work there were 3 reported stolen over the weekend. These were stolen from tech's homes or when parked on the street in Miami.

I called Winner Corp, manufacture of the club, and ordered 200 Clubs for $6,000 total. Techs were directed that any time they left there vehicle they were required to install the club.

THE THEFTS STOPPED COLD! In the following 12 months only 1 van was stolen and it was a spare van parked at our office without a club.

We did have a few with bent steering wheels where dumb crooks tried to pry the club off.

JR
Old 02-02-13, 10:51 AM
whitetooth
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by astrotoy
Sorry if this is redundant - couldn't find anything with the search function.

We've had our LS460L Exec Class for more than 5 years. As far as we know, no one has tried to steal our car, even though it is parked in carport. However, our area (SF East Bay) has just been named one of the country's hot spots for car theft. We are also about to get another fancy car (Tesla S), so my wife is now worried about car theft. Any words to reassure or frighten her?

Thanks, Larry
I can ask my LS600 to send me an SMS with her position thanks to an Aftermarket solution. I get a warning when she is not in the garage. I will find her before the sender is found. Go, Gone, Gun.
Old 02-02-13, 07:50 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

sorry to disappoint but the club is just about worthless. i had a rep show up one day pitching the club saying "there is no way to cut the club from the steering wheel".... in a word TRUE..

BUT you can easily cut the steering wheel an the club will come off intact with no damage to the club at all.. unfortunately the crook will be driving off with your car.. (fyi steering wheels are made of softer metals and designed to collapse or bend in an accident..

they do offer a pedal brake lock which works much better..

BUT!!! a determined thief can always use the all mighty flatbed truck an tow your car away..

being in the car security industry over 20 yrs.. 1 thing is certain if they REALLY WANT IT... u cant stop them from taking it.. get good insurance anything you can do to lengthen to process of theft increases the chances of them getting caught..

fyi i just put some IR night vision cameras up around the house.. i love them

the 1 i chose is called night gaurd the camera has 3 motion sensors built in so as the object or person moves so does the halogen flood light an camera.. it connect to my cpu (which is backed up online)
Attached Thumbnails LS460 - Easy or Hard to Steal?-night-gard.jpeg  
Old 02-02-13, 08:57 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't believe it's easy to steal unless they have a key or a flatbed.
Old 02-02-13, 09:02 PM
dieselmilk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure you have insurance and don't worry. The cars stolen most are old civics and corollas and stuff like that. It takes too much time to try and steal newer cars compared to older ones. Thieves are trying to make a quick buck instead of taking the insane amount of time to steal a lexus I'd be more worried about vandalism.
Old 02-03-13, 03:46 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Um. it was a JOKE.

Old 02-03-13, 04:34 PM
FLYCT

Um. it was a JOKE.

Joke or not, anything that provides a deterrent so the theif goes to an easier target seems to work.

I was not convinced that the club would be very effective but after having 20 vans in our local fleet of 200 stolen in 12 months, we were desperate for a quick solution. We explored many options. One was rewiring the rear defroster switch to the starter solinoid.

At $30 each the club was a quick solution. Before the clubs were handed out our average loss was $6000 per vehicle stloen. This icluded damage to van, loss of parts, tools and laptops. I bought clubs for 200 vans for the cost of one theft. Maybe it's unique to Miami

One local sheriff department was handing out clubs with their logo on them for free.

JR

Last edited by FLYCT; 02-03-13 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-03-13, 05:24 PM
305Busa
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by PRSUIT460
I don't believe it's easy to steal unless they have a key or a flatbed.

Even with a flatbed, the LS would be a pain to steal. My repo buddy went to get a 600 a few years ago. Hooked it from the back and the front wheels were locked. Leads me to believe that when the parking brake is engaged as in auto, all 4 wheels would be locked.
Old 02-03-13, 07:38 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

if they really want it... they'll take it, nothing you can do. there is no car that is theft proof. insurance will take care of it and the GAP insurance will pick up the rest. i've been there... was supposed to wait 30 days before i bought another car... i waited 3.
Old 02-03-13, 08:10 PM
FLYCT

Originally Posted by 305Busa
Even with a flatbed, the LS would be a pain to steal. My repo buddy went to get a 600 a few years ago. Hooked it from the back and the front wheels were locked. Leads me to believe that when the parking brake is engaged as in auto, all 4 wheels would be locked.
With a flatbed they would just pull it up the flatbed ramp with a which, even with wheels locked.

I have skid marks in my garage when my Prius was dragged out and up the flatbed ramp with the front wheels locked.

JR

Quick Reply: LS460 - Easy or Hard to Steal?