LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

PCS light on my ls 600hl

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-12, 07:02 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default PCS light on my ls 600hl

PCS light is blinking on my 2008 LS 600HL. Any one else had that problem? If so, what was it and what did it take to fix it?
Old 11-26-12, 08:19 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

That could be anything setting off a code. Try cleaning off the sensors in the grill, clean off "L" smooth logo on grill also... makes sure headlights are clean since there are sensors in there..see if the radar cruise still works...if no luck, then it's a trip to the dealer unfortunately. Has the car been around any excessive moisture lately?
Old 11-26-12, 12:16 PM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

There is that pretty common problem that seems to suddenly pop up in every PCS-equipped LS.

Unfortunately almost all of the instances I read about was a $3K - $4K fix.
The following users liked this post:
sapco202 (09-28-23)
Old 11-26-12, 04:30 PM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CJITTY
That could be anything setting off a code. Try cleaning off the sensors in the grill, clean off "L" smooth logo on grill also... makes sure headlights are clean since there are sensors in there..see if the radar cruise still works...if no luck, then it's a trip to the dealer unfortunately. Has the car been around any excessive moisture lately?
The car has been in normal use. No excessive moisture.
Old 11-26-12, 05:35 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Did you try the cleaning tips?
Old 11-27-12, 06:53 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

I could not find any sensors in the grill to clean.
The cruise control works just fine, even though the pcs light is still flashing.

Last edited by lexus600hl; 11-29-12 at 06:52 AM.
Old 11-27-12, 09:27 AM
CJITTY

Dont forget to get on the road and test the radar cruise control function..i forgot to do that when I test drove mine and didn't realize until I was 50 miles from the dealership and had to drive the rest of the way home with no cruise. It was a brake stop switch that was faulty..was only $85 but covered under CPO..that caused my system to not work at all until fixed.
Old 11-27-12, 10:25 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

That could be anything setting off a code. Try cleaning off the sensors in the grill, clean off "L" smooth logo on grill also...
Where are the sensors in the grill? I looked with a flashlight and could not find any!
I did clean the L logo.. it was very clean already
Old 11-27-12, 11:29 AM
CJITTY

If I am not mistaken, I thought he lower grill had a sensor toward the passenger side...the headlights also have a small sensor that may not be obvious...as long as they are clean, should be ok. I know someone before reported an issue with their setup, but they cleand those items and it cleared..I think it was grease or bugs blocking the sensor. But, that radar and system in general has a lot of potential for issues, so anything could be triggering that..it may just need to be reset. Having the tech do that may be the best way. Knowing me, I would disconect the negative battery cable for a while, then reconnect to see if that clears it out..but, the LS is smarter than that..that type of stuff worked on my Acura lol
Old 11-27-12, 03:16 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Is it regular PCS or Advanced PCS?
I believe the only sensor in standard PCS is directly behind the L symbol on the grille (only uses radar).
If that unit goes it's about 5k to replace. Not worth it IMO.
I have an 04 with PCS (1st model year) and it's still working great at 102k miles.
Old 11-29-12, 03:37 PM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

the radar cruise works fine but pcs light is flashing
Old 12-07-12, 11:19 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JFNash
There is that pretty common problem that seems to suddenly pop up in every PCS-equipped LS.

Unfortunately almost all of the instances I read about was a $3K - $4K fix.
The $3k scare was unwarranted. No need to scare people like that.. True, a real repair of PCS might well be expensive but there seems a simple fix. Here it is..

Two buttons that almost all LS owners don't know about (I have owned one 2007 ls 460l and three ls 600HLs and I have never heard of these two buttons).

1. TPMS on/off. I actually need this because I don't want to spend $228 for 3 months that I put snow tires on. My dealer charges me $114 to program tmps of my snow tires and another $114 to program the summer tires back in spring.
2. There is a reset button right next to the preceding button. This would reset the PCS. It worked for me.

Anyway, when I sent my car in for service, regarding the PCS button, he said that the pcs light went away, after they hit the PCS reset button.

These two buttons are just above the accelerator pedal. If you lean into the well, you will see them side by side.

You can turn on/off the tpms. next is the reset button.. If anyone's pcs light comes on.. don't be scared by the $3k comment. Just try this reset button. If that does not work.. and if your radar cruise works fine, you still don't have to worry too much (hopefully!).. It might well be a minor sensor issue..

Last edited by lexus600hl; 12-07-12 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-07-12, 05:18 PM
CJITTY

Tpms off button?? What?? Im going to check my 600 right now...I know my 460 had a tpms benchmark button..but not an on/off switch

Edit..
Just checked my 2008 600hL. No TPMS off button..just the benchmark set button and beep volume ****. I do have a blank switch panel..assume for advanced PCS reset.

Please take a picture of your under dash buttons..here are mine
Attached Thumbnails PCS light on my ls 600hl-20121207_202357.jpg  

Last edited by CJITTY; 12-07-12 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-07-12, 05:40 PM
CJITTY

Oh..and the dealer is playing you by charging to reset TPMS..my tire shop does that for free (Discount Tire)..that job literally takes less than 15 minutes to do...they are ripping you off. Also..companies like Orange TPMS can clone a set of new sensors with your existing oem sensor frequency IDs so you never have to reprogram the car tpms system when swapping diff sets of tires/wheels..I have posted on this several times in the past..have a tire shop scan your existing sensors on the car..take a picture of the tpms tool after each wheel scan..then call or email those to Orange and they will send you 4 new sensors with those same iDs..beyond awesome
Old 12-08-12, 04:30 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Oh..and the dealer is playing you by charging to reset TPMS..my tire shop does that for free (Discount Tire)..that job literally takes less than 15 minutes to do...they are ripping you off. Also..companies like Orange TPMS can clone a set of new sensors with your existing oem sensor frequency IDs so you never have to reprogram the car tpms system when swapping diff sets of tires/wheels..I have posted on this several times in the past..have a tire shop scan your existing sensors on the car..take a picture of the tpms tool after each wheel scan..then call or email those to Orange and they will send you 4 new sensors with those same iDs..beyond awesome
Great info! What do you mean by "picture of TPMS tool"? You mean, just get the TPMS numbers, via picture? This means, I have to buy new TPMS sensors from Orange?

Quick Reply: PCS light on my ls 600hl