LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

DataSystems Air Suspension Controller info thread

Old 03-19-18, 02:57 PM
Miksu
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 213374U
I asked for a few reasons.

First, the LS460 with air suspension automatically lowers itself with sustained speed above a certain threshold, and raises itself when you return to a sustained speed under a certain threshold (65mph and 60mph from my own testing). The purpose is for better aerodynamics at cruising speed. The amount it lowers is about the same as it will raise when you press the Height High button, so I use the button if I'm already riding lowered and do not want the car to lower any further at highway speed.

Now, I do not have the connector plugged into the NAV. After more thought, I believed that this connection was intended to activate the Height High mode once speed is achieved so that the car doesn't lower itself further. Essentially automating what I am doing manually above. Your post may have just confirmed this for me so I'm going to take the time to hook up that connector and see what I get.

Will post back with what I find

I also disconnected the controllers harness from NAV wiring earlier today and without that connected Height High light didnt come on anymore.

Yes I know that there is this lowering function at speed, but in my car that light came on at so low speed that I thought it was nothing to do with it. But your theory would make sense.

I was also thinking it might be some built in warning in controller for driving car lowered at certain speed. I have assumed that Height High function wouldnt work at higher speeds even though that light comes on, so have you noticed that the suspension will actually rise when using that on higher speeds? I might be going to leave it like that for now, but I will also try to test if that speed signal makes any difference in actual ride height.

Thanks quys for the help so far!
Old 03-20-18, 01:08 PM
Miksu
Driver School Candidate

Did just a quick test on highway with and without the speed signal and looks like it is working just like you said @213374U. Without speed signal car lowers quite much at speed and when I connected speed signal back it stays about the same height as adjusted, or atleast won't get much lower.

So it looks like there is good purpose for that speed signal wiring and I just have to get used to driving with Height High light on. Proper english manual for the controller would save us from this quess work, but Im not sure is there any available?

Last edited by Miksu; 03-20-18 at 01:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
213374U (03-20-18)
Old 03-20-18, 02:02 PM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 137 Likes on 118 Posts

Awesome! I figured that's what it had to be for when I really put thought into it, glad to see it's the case. Found that harness in my garage last night so I'll likely be installing in the next couple days. Will be nice to not have to worry about pushing the Height High button before the wife drives it so she doesn't scrape off the underside of the car :P
Miksu (03-20-18)
Old 03-20-18, 03:38 PM
Miksu
Driver School Candidate

Awesome! I figured that's what it had to be for when I really put thought into it, glad to see it's the case. Found that harness in my garage last night so I'll likely be installing in the next couple days. Will be nice to not have to worry about pushing the Height High button before the wife drives it so she doesn't scrape off the underside of the car :P
Yes Im not either too tempted to teach my wife any more buttons if she drives my car, heater settings for Webasto pre heater has caused enough headache.

And also because its daily driver for me I just want it to act like a normal car without some adjustments needed all the time. If I have understood right many drive without this speed signal, but if you lower your car and oem suspension ecu slams the rest in highway speeds it cant be good for handling, stock suspension components and tire wear etc.
Old 03-20-18, 04:20 PM
YOYO711
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Miksu
I also disconnected the controllers harness from NAV wiring earlier today and without that connected Height High light didnt come on anymore.

Yes I know that there is this lowering function at speed, but in my car that light came on at so low speed that I thought it was nothing to do with it. But your theory would make sense.

I was also thinking it might be some built in warning in controller for driving car lowered at certain speed. I have assumed that Height High function wouldnt work at higher speeds even though that light comes on, so have you noticed that the suspension will actually rise when using that on higher speeds? I might be going to leave it like that for now, but I will also try to test if that speed signal makes any difference in actual ride height.

Thanks quys for the help so far!
Miksu
213374U

2 Weeks go I trade in my 2012 CL550 to 2013 LS460 Fspot + more cash I been driving for bez for 17 years but just sick of the big or small problem
In 2 days I'm going get my Data System controller & harness (ASR681L & H-087i) install need help for 2013 LS460 Fsport.
1. Do I need to disconnect the controllers' harness from NAV?
2. Do you have English manual?
3. 19" wheel what level do i need to setting 5 front 4 back?

Thank you very much!

Old 03-20-18, 07:00 PM
Miksu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by YOYO711
Miksu
213374U

2 Weeks go I trade in my 2012 CL550 to 2013 LS460 Fspot + more cash I been driving for bez for 17 years but just sick of the big or small problem
In 2 days I'm going get my Data System controller & harness (ASR681L & H-087i) install need help for 2013 LS460 Fsport.
1. Do I need to disconnect the controllers' harness from NAV?
2. Do you have English manual?
3. 19" wheel what level do i need to setting 5 front 4 back?

Thank you very much!
Congratulations about your purchase and welcome to Lexus society!

1. I just got my controller installed about 2 weeks ago and my opinnion is after the research mentioned above that you should connect everything that is included with your controller wiring package...

2. I dont have and I bought the controller directly form Japan. All the disclaimers in the package says this controller shouldnt be used anywhere else than Japan, but Japan made product in Japan made car seems to work also here close to the arctic circle.

3. Just about the wheel looks 19"s will look small if you lower your car 5/4. Wheel size still does have almost nothing to do about your total wheel circumference or width. 18,19,20,21,22"...they all fit if you have right tire and wheel. Good point to start is to keep front and rear tires overall diameter/circumference close to each other and stay in about the same circumference as stock tire is. For 20"s like I have these cars need some "meaty rubber" and that wont ruin your ride quality...

Helpful tool https://tire-calc.com/
Old 03-20-18, 09:42 PM
YOYO711
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Miksu
Congratulations about your purchase and welcome to Lexus society!

1. I just got my controller installed about 2 weeks ago and my opinnion is after the research mentioned above that you should connect everything that is included with your controller wiring package...

2. I dont have and I bought the controller directly form Japan. All the disclaimers in the package says this controller shouldnt be used anywhere else than Japan, but Japan made product in Japan made car seems to work also here close to the arctic circle.

3. Just about the wheel looks 19"s will look small if you lower your car 5/4. Wheel size still does have almost nothing to do about your total wheel circumference or width. 18,19,20,21,22"...they all fit if you have right tire and wheel. Good point to start is to keep front and rear tires overall diameter/circumference close to each other and stay in about the same circumference as stock tire is. For 20"s like I have these cars need some "meaty rubber" and that wont ruin your ride quality...

Helpful tool https://tire-calc.com/
Thanks for the reply.

I'm not going to upgrade wheel anymore. I still have original bez wheel
I'm going to keep 19" wheel and low about 1 inch or 1.5 inch

Thank you very much!
Old 03-21-18, 06:47 PM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

@Miksu's posts motivated me to rip apart the dash and install the NAV harness. Took all of an hour and a half from start to test drive since everything comes apart with like 6-8 bolts.

Headed to the toll road to confirm all works well and it was exactly as you said. Height High light came on as soon as I topped 50mph, and went off when I dropped below 35mph. I also confirmed that even though the light comes on at 50, it doesn't actually raise the suspension if you never exceed 65mph. The NAV harness makes the controller truly set-and-forget!!

Wish I had done it sooner, but I might not have made all these discoveries about the suspension so I'm glad it played out like it did

Oooo, I also took the chance while everything was apart to route my usb cable from the center console to the left of the steering wheel where my suction cup mount holds my phone. Had to modify the little trim piece in the front of the console (figured that would be easily replaced if I wanted to remove it) but it came out great, no more cable strung around the shift lever and over the steering column.
Old 03-23-18, 02:08 PM
YOYO711
Driver School Candidate

Just got Data System need to install.
Old 03-23-18, 05:16 PM
YOYO711
Driver School Candidate

Here sets 5 and 4 later I'll test drive it's only 30,700 miles on it less than 1 month old pick up from lexus dealer

Last edited by YOYO711; 03-23-18 at 05:53 PM. Reason: missing
Old 03-27-18, 03:50 PM
Miksu
Driver School Candidate

@Miksu's posts motivated me to rip apart the dash and install the NAV harness. Took all of an hour and a half from start to test drive since everything comes apart with like 6-8 bolts.

Headed to the toll road to confirm all works well and it was exactly as you said. Height High light came on as soon as I topped 50mph, and went off when I dropped below 35mph. I also confirmed that even though the light comes on at 50, it doesn't actually raise the suspension if you never exceed 65mph. The NAV harness makes the controller truly set-and-forget!!

Wish I had done it sooner, but I might not have made all these discoveries about the suspension so I'm glad it played out like it did

Oooo, I also took the chance while everything was apart to route my usb cable from the center console to the left of the steering wheel where my suction cup mount holds my phone. Had to modify the little trim piece in the front of the console (figured that would be easily replaced if I wanted to remove it) but it came out great, no more cable strung around the shift lever and over the steering column.
213374U I thank you about making me to think twice how this all works and you presented theory that seemed to be right.

Previously when doing the research about lowering the stock air suspension I found out some posts saying that you should not connect the speed signal and it is just for "nanny" to prevent you use your controller at speed etc. That might be my misunderstanding, but it is total nonsense. You can adjust your controller at speed if you select super low mode like op said. One option I was considering was to just adjust the height sensor links and lower the car without any controller, but because original suspension ECU will lower the car significantly at high way speeds this "manual" lowering or controller without speed signal is not neither recomendable. And like said in this thread before Data Systems controller doesnt override that factory lowering function without speed signal.

If you select nice low ride height either manually by adjusting the sensor links or with the controller, things will get wrong when your car lowers at 65mph even more. Your stock shocks are not made for that height, your wheel agliment is way off and I gues your ride sucks...

Im just a ex-car mechanic and not any kind of expert with this controller, but I hope this helps someone with the questions I just had and correct me if Im wrong.

This is is done before, but many still talks about controller in the glovebox. I recommend to sacrifice the ashtray...I smoke but not in this car and never used any ashtray in any car even if I have smoked in them.. Just my solution and underneath it is not that pretty after my friends careful dremeling, but works fine. Controller is attached to the top of the stock ashtray panel with a double sided tape and stock cover mechanism works fine.

Last edited by Miksu; 03-28-18 at 08:37 AM.
Old 03-28-18, 07:46 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

I ride mine around town fairly low. Enough that those who know LS vehicles can decipher that it is lower than stock. When I get on the interstate, I don't touch it. I go above 65 mph, sometimes well above. If it lowers, it must not be by much, because my ride is still very good. And there's a particlular bump on the interstate, that is more like a launch ramp that I run across frequently. My truck nearly jumps it. The LS, even when low, takes it nice and comfortable. I do not have the speed sensor wire attached, as my HEIGHT HIGH light does not come on at any time, unless I push the button.

What I've done with my daily low drive position is, I've experimented a lot, until I have the car sitting offset below the OEM ride height, as perfectly equal as possible to the displacement that is achieved by putting the car on HEIGHT HIGH from the stock setting. What I mean is, if HEIGHT HIGH raises the car exactly 2 inches (for example), my daily ride height is as close to exactly 2" below the stock ride height.

In this way I achieve 2 things. 1). The car looks good at this lowering setting, while still having a very good ride. And 2) when I want the stock ride height, I don't have to open the glove box door and fool with the ASC, I just push the HEIGHT HIGH button and voila. I'm riding at the stock height. Works slick.

Jason Oliver
Ragnar1348 (06-23-22)
Old 03-28-18, 08:59 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, that's how I ran mine for the past year, but after installing the NAV harness I'd never go back to having to adjust it manually with the Height High button. Especially so since I have an AWD car with the pre-fix front CV axles. Here's why:

I'm fairly certain that my front differential issues began when the bearing on the right CV axle went bad. My guess is that the vibration when slowing between 60-45 over time is what caused that bearing to go bad. The vibration is noticeably worse when the car is lowered, so even without the controller installed the vibration was noticeably worse when exiting the freeway and coming down from speed. . My daily height is just lowered a touch in the front so as to level out the car and I haven't experienced the decel vibration since I installed the NAV harness because the car will not lower itself.

Also, driving/riding characteristics change as you lower the vehicle. Standard mode at 30mph does not feel the same as Standard at 70mph. Sport at 70mph is closer to standard at 30mph. With the controller maintaining the height at all times the handling characteristics remain unchanged as well, unless of course I decide I want to change it.

To top this all off, with the method you describe Oliver you will never be able to cruise at speed at any height higher than your low/daily driving setting. Even with Height High engaged, it will raise your vehicle back to stock right up until the point you cross over 65 then it drops right back down to your lowered height. With the NAV harness installed you have the full range at your fingertips under any driving conditions.

The DataSystems guys knew what they were doing
Old 03-28-18, 10:17 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Even with Height High engaged, it will raise your vehicle back to stock right up until the point you cross over 65 then it drops right back down to your lowered height.
I see what you're saying. But my point was that I don't believe my car is doing any further lowering above 65 mph. Because it's fairly low on my normal setting. And if it dropped further, I would most certainly notice a degradation in the ride, especially handling of bumps. But it rides the same at 70 mph as it does at 55 mph.
Old 03-28-18, 10:52 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Here's how you can verify: Start your car at your normal driving height, set the controller to the screen that says "Valve", press the Height High button and watch for the arrows on the controller that show each corner being raised. Once those arrows stop flashing, take it out for a drive over 65mph and keep watching the Valve screen on the controller. You should see the the down arrows start flashing after about 5-10 seconds over 65mph. This is the car returning to your lowered driving height. Once you slow back down below 60mph you'll see the up arrows flashing which is the car returning to the Height High setting.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DataSystems Air Suspension Controller info thread