LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

VSC, ABS, Brake Lights on After Brake Job

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-21, 09:13 AM
akican
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks yyymmm31,
I will try to uninstall the Techstream and clean up the registry and reinstall it without internet to see if it makes any different. Logically it would make sense since Techstream controls the ECUs. This is the only thing that explained why others were success to bleed the actuator and I got stuck at this step.
I will try it this weekend and let you know the result.
Again, thank you for your support.
Old 06-26-21, 08:05 PM
akican
Driver School Candidate

Hi yyymmm31,
Just try to perform to bleed with " Actuator has been remove" after reinstall techstream and execute it without internet connection. Here are the steps I did.
1/ Zero down
2/ disconnect accumulator connector
3/ ECB invalid
4/ Dry run FR and FL
5/ Reconnect the accumulator connector
6/ Ignition ON, pump comes ON
7/ Zero down again without disconnect the connector
This time go to page 19 select bleeding with option "Actuator remove"
Follow Techstream on screen instruction. Techstream shows "Air bleeding has failed" message. Change Techstream to different region redo all the step follow the PDF guide. Stuck at step 6 as listed above. At this point I don't know what's wrong with my car. Just wondering what version of Techstream do you use. Since I use version 15 and run it with Techstream loader to bypass the registration, is it cause this problem. I need help how to do this since the squawk/bark is very load. The brake is still function well and the car had 107000 mile on it.
Thanks.
Old 06-27-21, 10:37 AM
yyymmm31
Intermediate

Received 213 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by akican
Hi yyymmm31,
Just try to perform to bleed with " Actuator has been remove" after reinstall techstream and execute it without internet connection. Here are the steps I did.
1/ Zero down
2/ disconnect accumulator connector
3/ ECB invalid
4/ Dry run FR and FL
5/ Reconnect the accumulator connector
6/ Ignition ON, pump comes ON
7/ Zero down again without disconnect the connector
This time go to page 19 select bleeding with option "Actuator remove"
Follow Techstream on screen instruction. Techstream shows "Air bleeding has failed" message. Change Techstream to different region redo all the step follow the PDF guide. Stuck at step 6 as listed above. At this point I don't know what's wrong with my car. Just wondering what version of Techstream do you use. Since I use version 15 and run it with Techstream loader to bypass the registration, is it cause this problem. I need help how to do this since the squawk/bark is very load. The brake is still function well and the car had 107000 mile on it.
Thanks.
----
Hi, akcan. I have nearly all versions of Techstream above 10.x.x. My regularly used Techstream versions are 10.30.029, 12.20.024 and 15.30.026. I installed them on three old laptops with OS Win Vista 32-bit, Win7 32-bit, and Win10 32-bit. For bleeding LS460 brakes, these three versions of Techstream all worked on my 2008 LS460. The preferred versions of Techstream depend on the model year of the car. For example, if you have a 2017 LS460/600, you will need at least version 12.x.x or above, while for an older model-year LS like my 2008 LS, any version above 10.x.x should work fine. Of course, the newer the version of Techstream, the better as newer versions fix software glitches and cover latest Toyota/Lexus cars. The latest version of Techtream (in June of 2021) is 16.00.021, according to Toyota TIS website. In your case, you may try the suggestion I made here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-4th-gen-2007-2017/882726-tutorial-ls460-clear-brake-malfunction-check-vsc-system-dash-error-messages-9.html#post11074839
-------

Last edited by yyymmm31; 06-27-21 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-27-21, 12:03 PM
akican
Driver School Candidate

Hi yyymmm31
I see you used windows 32 -bit while I used Windows 10 64-bit. I don't know whether this contribute to the problem I had; but I know 32-bit application is running fine with OS 64-bit. I will try to reinstall my laptop to windows 7 32-bit to see if it works.
Thank you,
Old 06-27-21, 12:21 PM
yyymmm31
Intermediate

Hi yyymmm31
I see you used windows 32 -bit while I used Windows 10 64-bit. I don't know whether this contribute to the problem I had; but I know 32-bit application is running fine with OS 64-bit. I will try to reinstall my laptop to windows 7 32-bit to see if it works.
Thank you,
------
Check if the CPU on your laptop supports 32-bit OS before wiping out your existing 64-bit OS. Newer Intel CPUs don't support 32-bit Win OS. While it's worth trying 32-bit OS, given your situation, it may still be a good idea to try my suggestion in https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...l#post11074839.
-------
Old 06-27-21, 09:33 PM
akican
Driver School Candidate

Hi yyymmm31, I did try your suggestion by going directly to page 19 and selecting bleeding "Actuator has been removed". Follow Techstream on screen instruction. Do dry run FR, FL. When it comes to RR, Techstream pops up a failed message. I will try to install a windows 7 32-bit in virtual mode and try Techstream again.
Thank you for your support.
Old 06-27-21, 11:24 PM
yyymmm31
Intermediate

Hi yyymmm31, I did try your suggestion by going directly to page 19 and selecting bleeding "Actuator has been removed". Follow Techstream on screen instruction. Do dry run FR, FL. When it comes to RR, Techstream pops up a failed message. I will try to install a windows 7 32-bit in virtual mode and try Techstream again.
Thank you for your support.
-----
There have been reports of mixed results from using virtual win 32-bit OS in either MacOS or Win 64-OS. Hope that your Win7 32-bit will work reliably. In the event you can't pass the RR brake bleeding in "Actuator has been removed" procedure, as a temporary solution, you may try the individual line brake bleeding by using the "Usual air bleeding" procedure to bleed the two rear brake lines. Although it doesn't bleed the brake actuators, it will bleed air out of the two rear brake lines. After that, you may take time to figure out why your Techstream can't bleed RR with the "Actuator has been removed" procedure.
------
Old 07-01-21, 08:12 PM
akican
Driver School Candidate

Hi yyymmm31,
I tried Techstream version 14 with Windows 7 32-bit in virtual. Using VCX NANO module. The VCX had firmware 1.8.4 and VX manager 1.8.1. The result is unsuccess for " Actuator has been removed" procedure. So I concluded that I had is not Windows OS related. For VXDIAG driver, I installed both passthrough and Toyota drivers. First I select Toyota-J2534 driver in Techstream and try to bleed "Actuator has been removed" step by step based on the PDF guide. Again, after zero down and ECB invalid. Do dry run bleeding the FR and FL. Ignition OFF and reconnect the pump connector, pump comes ON as soon as the Ignition ON. Try zero down again and go to page 19 to do bleeding with "Actuator has been removed". Follow Techstream on screen instruction by ignition OFF remove pump connector, dry run FR, FL. Ignition OFF reconnect pump connector, and wait for 3 minutes. Ignition ON and select next button. Techstream showed failed message and pump comes ON. Up to this point I do a normal bleeding for now.
yyymmm31, do you recall when you perform this procedure, especially after you do ECB invalid and manually bleed FR,FL, does your pump come ON after you reconnect pump connetor back and ignition ON. There must be something missing on my end I could not understand. Anyone had a similar issues like I had.
Thanks,
Old 07-01-21, 10:22 PM
yyymmm31
Intermediate

Hi yyymmm31,
I tried Techstream version 14 with Windows 7 32-bit in virtual. Using VCX NANO module. The VCX had firmware 1.8.4 and VX manager 1.8.1. The result is unsuccess for " Actuator has been removed" procedure. So I concluded that I had is not Windows OS related. For VXDIAG driver, I installed both passthrough and Toyota drivers. First I select Toyota-J2534 driver in Techstream and try to bleed "Actuator has been removed" step by step based on the PDF guide. Again, after zero down and ECB invalid. Do dry run bleeding the FR and FL. Ignition OFF and reconnect the pump connector, pump comes ON as soon as the Ignition ON. Try zero down again and go to page 19 to do bleeding with "Actuator has been removed". Follow Techstream on screen instruction by ignition OFF remove pump connector, dry run FR, FL. Ignition OFF reconnect pump connector, and wait for 3 minutes. Ignition ON and select next button. Techstream showed failed message and pump comes ON. Up to this point I do a normal bleeding for now.
yyymmm31, do you recall when you perform this procedure, especially after you do ECB invalid and manually bleed FR,FL, does your pump come ON after you reconnect pump connetor back and ignition ON. There must be something missing on my end I could not understand. Anyone had a similar issues like I had.
Thanks,
------
My most recent use of the "Brake actuator was removed" bleeding procedure was six months ago back in January. At the time, as my car was getting to 120K miles and it was due for the 30K brake fluid replacement schedule. Since my brake system was in good condition and I had just done a rebuild of brake calipers (replaced all brake caliper cylinder rubber boots and lubricated all the brake moving parts, etc), I intended to do a simple regular brake bleeding (the "Usual air bleeding" method). As I had worked on Lexus/Toyota brakes so many times, I was getting a bit carried away with myself and was a bit careless. When I was bleeding the RR brake line, I let the actuator run a few seconds too long. As a result, the brake actuator pushed out too much fluid and the fluid level dropped below the LOW line on the brake fluid reservoir. By looking at the brake reservoir, I knew that air was already sucked into my brake actuator. As a result, I had to do the "Brake actuator was removed" bleeding procedure to purge the air out of my brake actuator. I followed the instruction that KV2 posted. I don't remember if my pump came on or not. I just followed through all the steps in the instruction, and I don't recall that I had to do anything special or out of ordinary during the bleeding process. The only thing unusual I did was that I had my laptop connected to the power instead of running on its battery during the entire bleeding process (I wanted to make sure that the laptop had sufficient power to support Techstream commands and sustain its communication with my car).
--------
Old 01-25-24, 04:47 PM
TyranaKok
1st Gear

Default Here is the fix for this problem.

Originally Posted by MyLS460
With help from a friend, I recently turned the rotors and replaced the brake pads in my 2008 LS460 with ceramic pads by Akebono. We didn't follow the right sequence so before releasing the automatic parking brake, I pushed the brake pedal to start the engine forgetting that one (driver-side front) of the old brake pad sets had already been removed - the consequence was that one of the brake pistons was pushed out beyond its norm (not completely out) and brake fluid oozed out . . . We pushed the piston back in, bled the fluid line and all seemed to work well just as any new brakes would (slight hesitation as the pads are being broken in, particularly after a few miles as the brakes got hot - expansion)

Well, my problem now is that despite the new brakes appearing to be working fine, the ABS, VSC, brake lights are on and we don't know if something is wrong, or the brake system just needs resetting.

Have any of you LS460 owners in the forum experienced this problem and how did you get it fixed? If this was a dealer job, how much did it cost to get it fixed/reset?

Please note that the brake sensors were carefully removed and reattached; i.e., no damage observed.

Thanks for your help!
Mine came on after brake bleed and piston came out.
I bought a mini Vci cable from eBay, took forever to get correct driver to work, but I did finally.
Then hooked it up to techstream and found this video.
It totally worked even though this is a Prius.
Old 01-25-24, 09:06 PM
macLexy55
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great to hear it worked for you .... tho you said it was on a Prius, after mentioning a Lexus 460 ?

Anyway, either way, I have yet to see or hear a solution that gets rid of the VSC lights. Nor have I heard the real reason why they come on in the first place. There are so many theories to why they do, which results in so many possible ways to get rid of them 🤷🏻‍♂️