LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Battery replacement assistance help

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-12, 04:48 AM
jmcraney

Received 255 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by SBlexus
Maybe that happens to some cars, just helped a friend change his out a few days ago and only needed to adjust the clock and reset the radio station. Maybe this occurs if the battery is drain or removed for a period of time.
How were you able to determine that the TPMS "benchmarks" were not altered?
Old 08-10-12, 06:09 AM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Change the battery, re-program what needs to be re-programmed and that's it..
Old 08-10-12, 01:31 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcraney
How were you able to determine that the TPMS "benchmarks" were not altered?
Everything on the car is still factory. What I'm saying is if the battery is completely drain them maybe u have to do all those things, but if your accessories are working and the car doesn't start and you Change the battery right away then the process isn't that drastic. At least that was the case for me.
Old 08-10-12, 02:08 PM
jmcraney

Received 255 Likes on 195 Posts

The TPMS is a NHTSA mandated safety system. Although these system are required on all cars sold in the US, there is no implementation standard, and thus, many variations. The LS460 does provide a display of the reported pressures for five wheels but there is no way to tell anything about the benchmarks. The benchmarks provide a reference that is used to calculate the low pressure warning thresholds, one for each wheel. The benchmarks are established by an initialization process that is started by pressing the TPMS SET button that is under the dash, above the drivers right knee. There are some conditions that must be met to correctly establish the benchmarks and if the button is operated when the conditions are not met then the benchmarks are mal-established and the safety advantage of the TPMS is compromised. Since the TPMS SET button can be operated by anyone, I always benchmark my TPMS after my car is serviced, tires are changed/rotated or the battery is discharged/reconnected. The owner's manual clearly says that TPMS initialization is required after the battery is discharged or reconnected and I always do that.

Some owners view the TPMS as a nuisance system and for them, skipping the recommendations probably works fine.
Old 08-10-12, 06:31 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcraney
The TPMS is a NHTSA mandated safety system. Although these system are required on all cars sold in the US, there is no implementation standard, and thus, many variations. The LS460 does provide a display of the reported pressures for five wheels but there is no way to tell anything about the benchmarks. The benchmarks provide a reference that is used to calculate the low pressure warning thresholds, one for each wheel. The benchmarks are established by an initialization process that is started by pressing the TPMS SET button that is under the dash, above the drivers right knee. There are some conditions that must be met to correctly establish the benchmarks and if the button is operated when the conditions are not met then the benchmarks are mal-established and the safety advantage of the TPMS is compromised. Since the TPMS SET button can be operated by anyone, I always benchmark my TPMS after my car is serviced, tires are changed/rotated or the battery is discharged/reconnected. The owner's manual clearly says that TPMS initialization is required after the battery is discharged or reconnected and I always do that.

Some owners view the TPMS as a nuisance system and for them, skipping the recommendations probably works fine.
I don't know what u are trying to get at, all I was saying is that when we replace the battery it never effected the TPMS. The battery never completely drain the car didn't start because of the battery we changed it the car started and the only thing that wasn't correct was the radio station and the clock. I love the TPMS option it's not a nuisance I think it's very helpful when you a expensive set of wheels on your car.
Old 08-13-12, 02:49 PM
sellshomes
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The battery was changed out and no issues whatsoever other than I dropped a couple of push pins putting back

on the engine covers, lost forever in the front wheel well somewhere down deep.

All presets stayed the same and no impact on my TPMS or anything else on the car.

Thanks for the assistance from all of you.
Old 08-13-12, 03:04 PM
GregCon
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

If I am doing the change-out in my garage where I have time and resources, I will connect a second battery to the cables with some alligator clips so the car never sees a no-voltage condition. That way nothing needs to be reset and there is no danger of voltage spikes causing computer problems.
Old 08-13-12, 04:03 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

When I changed my battery the tech had a little device that plugged in via the cigarette lighter and was powered by a 9V battery. It supplied enough power to the car and absolutely no presets were lost. If I could recommend a battery it would be the Optima line. They are really fantastic batteries. I once left my 400 for nearly 2 months without being started and it cranked right up without any issues. They are a gel based battery so no maintenance or corrosion.

Something like this.
Amazon Amazon
and
Amazon Amazon

Edit: fixed link

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 08-13-12 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-13-12, 07:46 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GregCon
I would never have some place change my battery for free.......who knows what they will do?
Well they might not drop your fasteners..
Old 08-13-12, 08:15 PM
CJITTY

Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

Optima batteries are all I use when I am not under warranty for free replacements at dealer
Old 12-07-12, 01:03 PM
LS2k
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Never used an Optima, which one is the right fit for an '07? This
Optima Batteries 8020-164 35 RedTop Starting Battery Optima Batteries 8020-164 35 RedTop Starting Battery
or
Optima Batteries 8025-160 25 RedTop Starting Battery Optima Batteries 8025-160 25 RedTop Starting Battery
?
Old 12-07-12, 02:48 PM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LS2k
Never used an Optima, which one is the right fit for an '07? This Optima Batteries 8020-164 35 RedTop Starting Battery or Optima Batteries 8025-160 25 RedTop Starting Battery ?
Amazon says one of the batteries needs a top height adjustment and the other needs a bottom height adjustment
Old 12-08-12, 11:31 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

They don't make an Optima battery that's made for the LS 460. I would purchase the best Interstate battery, Megatron Plus that's made for the LS 460.
Old 12-08-12, 09:33 PM
wchain
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Interstate aint what it used to be.

They rank low on the Consumer Reports ratings these days.
The following users liked this post:
DrQuality (07-22-21)
Old 02-11-20, 04:51 PM
ijones027
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Falbz
Just push down on the clips..... It's real easy. Once you lift the plastic covers, there is one bolt holding the battery down. Just lift the tie down up and pull it out. Unhook terminals and swapped batterys.
I'm having problems putting the bolt holding the battery down back does anybody know where the bottom of it connects to so i can bolt it in?

Quick Reply: Battery replacement assistance help