LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Factory Air Suspension 101: Share your A/S knowledge here

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-18, 01:17 PM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

Personally I wouldn’t wait now that I know how well the car rides at this height on Fortune 500s with Swift springs. I’ve had BC Racing on my last two 400 & 430 and they were alright. These are much better but they also cost more. I was concerned about ‘ruining’ the car as she says to get the height I wanted but that’s behind me now. I wasn’t there to watch it go down but from what I heard front is pretty standard but the rear is difficult. More steps are involved to get them in and coil adjustment is almost non accessible because of the ‘pocket’ it sits in.

I have my OEM air suspension for sale if anyone is interested PM me. Car has 44000 miles and there is no visible damage to the KYB struts.
Old 05-26-18, 05:01 AM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by VanCityLS4
Personally I wouldn’t wait now that I know how well the car rides at this height on Fortune 500s with Swift springs. I’ve had BC Racing on my last two 400 & 430 and they were alright. These are much better but they also cost more. I was concerned about ‘ruining’ the car as she says to get the height I wanted but that’s behind me now. I wasn’t there to watch it go down but from what I heard front is pretty standard but the rear is difficult. More steps are involved to get them in and coil adjustment is almost non accessible because of the ‘pocket’ it sits in.

I have my OEM air suspension for sale if anyone is interested PM me. Car has 44000 miles and there is no visible damage to the KYB struts.
Hey Vancity,
Glad to hear your conversion worked out.
Would you be wiling to share some of the specifics about the conversions? It would be good fro others who are thinking about or need to do this conversion. Could you share the parts, source, prices and any mods the shop had to do to make the system work?

There is a ton of anecdotal information on the replacement threads but very few success stories with specifics regarding parts and such.
Lots of folks have upgraded the air systems with different controllers, etc. For those who are just looking to do a straight swap from factory air to the equivalent of factory non-air, a parts list, sources and key issues to address would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Old 05-26-18, 05:49 AM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

◢Auto-Saved
To view/manage your attachmen

Hey Vancity,
Glad to hear your conversion worked out.
Would you be wiling to share some of the specifics about the conversions? It would be good fro others who are thinking about or need to do this conversion. Could you share the parts, source, prices and any mods the shop had to do to make the system work?

There is a ton of anecdotal information on the replacement threads but very few success stories with specifics regarding parts and such.
Lots of folks have upgraded the air systems with different controllers, etc. For those who are just looking to do a straight swap from factory air to the equivalent of factory non-air, a parts list, sources and key issues to address would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Old 05-26-18, 10:44 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

I've experimented with the "drop at speed" thing, and mine does not do it when at 'normal rde height.

On a toll road on the way home a few weeks ago...70 MPH, exit, as speed dropped to 65, I braked _hard_ on to the shoulder, killed the ignition as soon as I was stopped, got out...there's rarely anyone exiting here, as of now, so it was safe...grabbed the tape measure from the back seat, measured both front and rear wheel arch to ground distances, started Silvia back up, and waited.

After 3 minutes, no change in height.
Old 05-26-18, 01:04 PM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

I didn’t do the work but it’s a pretty standard swap. Undo air line and harness on each strut and swap in your coil and spring choice. Mo mods needed. I don’t see why there would be a different between OEM coils and aftermarket. If anything I would have experienced issues slamming the car more than 2”. My Sport switch seems to work still (steering). It’s crazy that people are buying these Chinese air strut replacements before buying OEM coils... Get static...
Old 05-26-18, 03:08 PM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

I didn’t do the work but it’s a pretty standard swap. Undo air line and harness on each strut and swap in your coil and spring choice. Mo mods needed. I don’t see why there would be a different between OEM coils and aftermarket. If anything I would have experienced issues slamming the car more than 2”. My Sport switch seems to work still (steering). It’s crazy that people are buying these Chinese air strut replacements before buying OEM coils... Get static...
VanCity,
Which springs and coils did you choose to get the results you have?
Old 05-28-18, 08:48 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

@VanCity

Definitely need details on parts! So excited to hear there's an option that actually produces a near factory ride.
Old 05-28-18, 06:00 PM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

What parts? Read above, I’m sitting on Coilovers.
Old 05-29-18, 12:22 PM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Right, but I saw you reference Fortune Auto struts, Swift springs, and then talk about OEM.

Am I to assume you just went with OEM-sized aftermarket struts/coils and just used the existing air suspension hardware to bolt it up? In other words, the lower connecting rod from the air strut fit on the coil strut as well and all lined up?
Old 05-29-18, 03:52 PM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Fortune Auto coilovers with Swift spring upgrade.

My reference to OEM was on the topic of why not just run OEM shocks and struts. If aftermarket coilovers fit then why wouldn’t factory parts bolt right in.
Old 05-29-18, 08:28 PM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 213374U
@VanCity

Definitely need details on parts! So excited to hear there's an option that actually produces a near factory ride.
I don't really understand why Van is being so coy with this information. The reference to the fortune Auto coil overs is pretty vague; they make custom suspension parts and have several variations/models. I doubt this fix is any where close to being cost effective.

Seems like a waste of time to pursue this discussion with him.
Old 05-29-18, 09:43 PM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

It probably is...

The point is that aftermarket coilovers will swap in for OEM air with no dash lights. No extra parts needed.. End of discussion.
Old 07-19-19, 07:44 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 210 Likes on 188 Posts

Lots of experts on here so I shall go ahead and ask my questions:
1. Has anyone tried swapping out the back struts only?
2.It seems that all the functionality is with the front? the front has sensors or whatever you call them that over the top of the strut mounts/air struts. Are these present on the back struts as well? I may be reading it wrong but i understand it as all the stifness and height stuff only occurs in the front? Or does it happen in the back too ?
3, So I have read some post and comments that they just left the sensors and wires as is...hell if I know what that means? for the front that means reinstalling that control module on the strut mount even if it is doing nothing, and if the compressor is still working and the hose is no longer connected where do you leave it hanging? Wouldnt exposed hoses with the ends open allow bad air and dirt water and moisture to ingress into the compressor which will cause it to fail?
4. So I dont like the idea of swapping out all coilovers, but my back drivers side air strut has failed at the mount point. So i am thinking of changing out just the rears. And while I have the factory ones out i can get them refurbed or play with them myself n see what I can do with them. But say I do that. what do I do with the hoses... if the ends are open, wouldnt the compressor keep working and trying to pump air ? which would cause it to fail. or can we close the ends off somehow? any idea on how this would affect ride? handling? My reason is simple all the control features seem to happen in the front, so since they are still working why not leave it there? Since the back ones dont seem to do much, Ill just swap them out.
5. Are you aware of any sellers that sell the whole FACTORY/oem coilovers and everything needed as a package?

THANKS GUYS