LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

first gen non air to factory air suspension conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-11, 02:44 AM
BlueLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question first gen non air to factory air suspension conversion

I just got done doing a search and didnt find if anybody has ever converted their non air equipped suspension to the factory air suspension to do a poor man's air ride setup. If someone has i would like to know what would be involved or if you know the ins and outs of the factory air suspension tell me what you think would be involved. PLEASE dont post if you are going to tell me to just buy an aftermarket setup or flame the idea because i have access to a factory air setup and would like to know if it is possible? Any input is appreciated. Thanx
Old 01-05-11, 04:38 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

the reason they dont is because the factory air suspension is more complicated than aftermarket systems, not as long lasting, and can't ride low at ALL or it WILL blow.

not to mention generally ends up costing more...
Old 01-05-11, 04:38 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueLS
I just got done doing a search and didnt find if anybody has ever converted their non air equipped suspension to the factory air suspension to do a poor man's air ride setup. If someone has i would like to know what would be involved or if you know the ins and outs of the factory air suspension tell me what you think would be involved. PLEASE dont post if you are going to tell me to just buy an aftermarket setup or flame the idea because i have access to a factory air setup and would like to know if it is possible? Any input is appreciated. Thanx
Not to "flame" you but alot of people will say don't do it. Although I love the air ride, I wish I didn't have my factory air. The reason is when something breaks, and it will break, it's very expensive to fix. (Like $1000 a shock) But if that's what you want to do, I'm sure it can be done, with some work. Someone else will have to chime in to say exactly what needs to be done.
Are you taking this off a donor car or is it all already off?
Old 01-05-11, 09:10 AM
BlueLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
the reason they dont is because the factory air suspension is more complicated than aftermarket systems, not as long lasting, and can't ride low at ALL or it WILL blow.

not to mention generally ends up costing more...
it seems a lot people on the forum, when i searched on this, ride low and even park and dump the car with the data controller is whats kinda got me envious of cars that came factory air ride and it doesnt seem that people have too much trouble other than leaking bags due to age which is expected and used good factory strutbags seem to go on ebay for around $200 and not a $1000 which would suck, but the more i look into it would be easier and more durable doing a universal air kit with the strut over bags. i still wouldnt mind doing the factory conversion as temporary solution to my air ride woes if its cost effective.
Old 01-05-11, 03:16 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

when you can go UAS over shock for ~2500 total, no reason to go oem.

and nobody i know rides low on OEM air. the ride high and park low.