LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Thermal imaging camera

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-12, 03:16 AM
verneyboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thermal imaging camera

Hi , I'd like to instal thermal imaging camera such as they have in the merc and BMW
I think the only place the camera could be installed would bu just under the Lexus badge
On the grill , I would have to cut the lowest bar out

Not sure,either on integrating it into one of the existing screens , BMW have it between
The taco and speedo , could go over on the sat nav screen but I'd have to turn
Of if wanted sat visible there is a spare switch position were it sais passenger

I'd appreciate any in put want it to be as indiscreet as possible

Regards Vern
Old 06-27-12, 04:29 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I want to see you pull this off. This is going to get expensive pretty quick. How are planning on displaying the info? Can you trick the nav screen into doing it ? I always thought it was cool to have the night vision but who the hell is going to use it. I guess you live in the sticks or rural area. Good luck buddy and welcome to Club Lexus
Old 06-27-12, 06:21 PM
jgbackes
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a few Cadillacs with Night Vision and loved it.

If you are crafty you could wire up an LCD on the dashboard and reflect the image off the front window... Poor man's heads up display. Or perhaps if you took the dashpad off, there is room to mount the LCD further away from the window.

The Cadillac used a series of mirrors in the dash to bounce the image around. This makes the image appear to float above the middle of the hood.

I don't think displaying it on the Navi is a good idea, too much time with your eyes off the road.

I wonder if the display between the tach and speedo is just a simple LCD, if so you might be able to come up with a simple video switch.

Good luck with your project, keep us posted!
Old 06-28-12, 05:01 AM
stanatl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jgbackes
I

I don't think displaying it on the Navi is a good idea, too much time with your eyes off the road.

!
I agree that displaying it on the NAV screen is not a good idea. I had the Night Vision option on my 550i and it was a really cool option. The problem was that having on the center console screen took my eyes off the road. Since you're primarily using this at night on dark roads, taking your eyes off the road long enough to see if there's an image of a deer in the road ahead is pretty unsafe. I had the head up display and if they could have figured out a way to have the thermal image from the Night Vision show up on the head up display then it would have made it a much more effective option to have. It turned out to be have a high "cool factor" but was not really useful.
Old 06-28-12, 05:54 AM
verneyboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your input, certainly helps me see not to go with sat nav screen , have to look
At something near the speedo and tachometer area, what do you think about camera position
To be hidden just under the Lexus badge Center of the grill and cut the bar as neatly as I can.
To not make it look obvious that it's been altered will be the hard part