LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Ls 460 moon roof rattle

Old 08-01-16, 05:14 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Yes I can hear it, but it sounds like its on the rear panel. The last guy went missing when he said his wife was going to drive hime around in the trunk, so no I'm not doing that. hahaha
Old 08-01-16, 05:35 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Thank you again! I think you and I are experiencing the same issue.

I really wish someone else who DOESN'T hear anything can whack their roof to verify if the sound we are hearing is in fact that. I highly suspect it is, but if someone can hit it and they hear nothing, that would give a negative proof and validation that I'm really looking for before I commit my car to headliner surgery.

You also bring up a good point in that the sound we are hearing might be attributed to a number of phantom sounds, like the poor sap we, or I told to climb in the trunk, lol.

What we discovered and are hearing might in fact be the same rattle that other guy is hearing because it does sound like it's coming from the rear deck area. That's what I first thought until I investigated a little bit more.

Hopefully he reads this and can do the same test.
Old 08-01-16, 06:56 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

OK, I just went out to my car and hit the roof from inside and out. I do not hear any rattle. There is kind of a hollow sound, that's all. Hope that helps.
Old 08-01-16, 07:18 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you very much! Just needed a false positive so to speak.

The strange thing is that it is intermittent. Some jarring bumps will cause it whereas others don't. There's no rhyme or reason I can tell. With the radio even on 20, it's imperceptible almost, but it is a one-shot clank over jarring bumps sounding like it came from the rear deck area when in fact it's the sunroof rails, at least I strongly suspect that. It may be just a matter of time before it becomes more consistent as this just started.

It looks like headliner surgery. I'll report what they found and how they fixed it. I'll even ask how much it would have cost, if it wasn't done under warranty, which in my case it surely will be.

Thanks again. I would be grateful if anyone else wouldn't mind testing and sharing.

Old 09-30-16, 06:24 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Well, about to take my car in finally next week. Just been busy, but have an appointment I'll likely keep this time.

This gave me time to research this a bit and found some pictures of our sunroof with frame out of the car, which was a major score.

Based on the structure of our sunroof, the sound (which sounds like two pieces of sheet metal clanging against each other) and the location of the sound (rear of the roof near the rear courtesy light), I think I was able to pinpoint what is rattling up there. I circled the area I think is most likely the source. There are two cross members that brace the sunroof frame and it could simply be one of those bolts are loose, allowing that cross member brace to clang against the frame over jarring bumps.

It's just a guess, but eh, I really wanted to see for myself what might be causing this before taking it in. In any case, it could be something else entirely as there's a lot of sheet metal in that frame, so I guess we'll find out.

Old 10-01-16, 09:20 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Interested in finding out if it fixes the issue. It used to drive me nuts but no one else heard it. Funny I haven't heard it once since I totaled the LS.
Old 10-01-16, 12:37 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah I'll definitely report what they found. Just a bit uneasy having the headliner ripped off but hey, I'm sure there are shop procedures to do it, or I presume there are. Someone else in this thread had their headliner removed so maybe it's rather straightforward, at least I hope.

It's also driving me nuts too as the roads in my parts aren't the greatest. I can drown it out with the radio up and sometimes it's not even there, strangely enough, and yeah, it's not very loud actually, but I like to occassionaly drive with no radio to think (and appreciate the tomb silence) and that's when it starts getting aggravating when I hear that clank in an otherwise dead-silent car.
Old 10-10-16, 08:00 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Well just dropped it off. I dragged the service advisor into my car and banged on the roof right in front of the rear dome light and of course it wasn't as apparent as it was yesterday when I checked. Still audible though.

In any case, here's to hoping it gets fixed.

They gave me a 2016 ES and it's very nice but it's not nearly as quiet and smooth. It doesn't absorb bumps as well and isn't nearly as cacoon-like as our car. I guess we really don't appreciate how vault-like it is until you drive something else.

The seats are much firmer, the steering is way lighter, but overall it's still very nice. It's drives and feels like my old RL, but a bit quieter.

They gave me a choice between this and the new RX and I chose this simply because I may get one.

Last edited by Rhambler; 10-10-16 at 08:09 AM.
Old 10-12-16, 03:21 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Well they found it. Took them three days, well two as I don't think they worked on it the first day, but they did it apparently!

The service advisor at Lexus of Roseville, which is great by the way, said it was the screws that held the rear vanity mirrors. Apparently it was loose or not in correctly and was banging against the sheet metal frame of the moonroof.

Correction (just read the paperwork): vanity mirror bracket was loose. Tightened and insulated.

Woo! Relieved it's over with. Can't say enough about Lexus of Roseville. They persevered.

Last edited by Rhambler; 10-12-16 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10-12-16, 05:51 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Good to hear. I'm going to check mine.....oh wait.... lol. Glad you got it sorted.
Old 10-12-16, 06:34 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah I turned off the radio for the first time without trepidation.

It was nice driving back in dead silence without me cringing whenever I drive over a bump. It was irritating to say the least.

I cannot believe how much more quieter and insulated our car is versus the ES. By no means is that a bad car, it just isn't in the same league when it comes to keeping everything out, sounds, bumps, everything. There's no comparison at all. You get use to how smooth it is until you drive something else.

Hopefully you get to rejoin the quiet train again soon.
Old 10-13-16, 05:14 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

I'm getting there. I am installing sound deadening right now. The quiet is slowly returning. My trunk lid actually feels more substantial to shut than the LS was. Not looking forward to removing the interior of the car but meh. I had to do the doors next anyway so I can put off the interior for the time being.

I think one of the things I miss the most was the size of the car. The height of it, the mass, everything. It was just a big car. I've been keeping my eye on them. The bug will hit me right after I'm done playing with the sound system in this I'm sure. It always works like that.