LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2007 460 strange engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-11, 07:02 AM
rcpromo1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats what im saying
Old 03-12-11, 07:20 AM
ccardan
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same noise also after VSR repair on a 2008 LS 460.
Brought it back to the dealer and they said the left side was defective, bleeding, and they replaced it.
Old 03-12-11, 08:42 AM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

JM, I don't think Lexus says this is normal, I think that some technicians think that all LS owners are dumb a$$es.

Last edited by Silverpaws; 03-12-11 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Restate
Old 03-28-11, 01:16 PM
dreddy
Driver School Candidate

Hello,

I am a new owner of 2008 LS460. The previous owner did the VSR and not sure about the engine noise earlier. But now, I am able to hear this noise after I drive for a while. Especially when I stop and go. Since I am in Atlanta, not sure how to approach JM Lexus who seem to have fixed this problem. Can someone email me the vin number of any other info that I could take it to my dealer. Please advise.
Old 03-28-11, 11:53 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

take it to the dealer and if they refuse to figure out what the problem is or diagnose it you should contact a lexus representative....ive seen it done before on this website...
Old 04-01-11, 04:29 AM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris79
Does anyone know a Lexus dealership or independent mechanics in Southern CA that can make this ticking noise go away? I have taken it to Santa Monica Lexus and Lexus Beverly hills and neither will help..They say it is just how it is...I mentioned it seems like a defect and the Lexus mechanic pretty much chuckled in agreement. It would be nice to have this fixed.

Can anyone help?
Recommend you contact Lexus customer service and advise them that two dealers have no interest in addressing your concerns. Advise them that you are an unhappy Lexus owner and request that they contact you for technical assistance. Have you listened to another LS engine with comparable mileage to compare to yours? I could not expect my engine to be any quieter either while idling or accelerating.
Old 04-01-11, 07:24 AM
marky2mark
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris79
Does anyone know a Lexus dealership or independent mechanics in Southern CA that can make this ticking noise go away? I have taken it to Santa Monica Lexus and Lexus Beverly hills and neither will help..They say it is just how it is...I mentioned it seems like a defect and the Lexus mechanic pretty much chuckled in agreement. It would be nice to have this fixed.

Can anyone help?
If you want an independent mechanic to take a look you might try R&M Automotive in Northridge. They specialize in Toyota/Lexus and Honda/Acura. I haven't had any work done there yet but some people I know have good things to say about them. I have communicated with one of the owners John and he seems like a nice guy. But they are not authorized to do Lexus warranty repairs....if anything needs to be fixed under warranty then a dealer has to do it. But at least they could take a listen and see if there is a problem.
Old 04-01-11, 11:37 AM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i bought mine in to Sterling Mccall Lexus and they said it's normal..it's the FI fuel pump noise...not sure what to expect now cuz everything is "normal" to them...even with the brake noise which I fixed at another dealership is "normal" to them.
They even specifically said "I can't fix whatever that is normal"....whatever...
Old 04-01-11, 11:59 AM
marky2mark
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by marky2mark
If you want an independent mechanic to take a look you might try R&M Automotive in Northridge. They specialize in Toyota/Lexus and Honda/Acura. I haven't had any work done there yet but some people I know have good things to say about them. I have communicated with one of the owners John and he seems like a nice guy. But they are not authorized to do Lexus warranty repairs....if anything needs to be fixed under warranty then a dealer has to do it. But at least they could take a listen and see if there is a problem.
Sorry..it's RM automotive not R&M. They are at Tampa & Roscoe.

http://www.rmauto.com/
Old 04-01-11, 03:30 PM
highroler
Driver School Candidate

Default Tick...Tick...Tick...Tick

Originally Posted by randomwalk
i bought mine in to Sterling Mccall Lexus and they said it's normal..it's the FI fuel pump noise...not sure what to expect now cuz everything is "normal" to them...even with the brake noise which I fixed at another dealership is "normal" to them.
They even specifically said "I can't fix whatever that is normal"....whatever...
I found your comment from Lexus interesting that they are pointing to the fuel pump as the source of the noise. I have a 2009 with a ticking noise at idle and thought it was valve related. I have never heard a fuel pump make a noise from inside the cabin. I plan to ask my service tech his thoughts and be ready for the "its normal" comment.

Old 04-05-11, 10:27 AM
dreddy
Driver School Candidate

I just took my 2008 LS460 to the dealer this morning. He was able to hear the tickling noise, even though it was not consistent. He mentioned that not many technicians know the VSR, and he has agreed to take a look at this. The previous owner got this done somewhere else.

So I can't wait to see my car back. For Lexus, we should not hear any engine noise, that's what this car is known for. I'll keep you all posted.
Old 04-05-11, 12:11 PM
vancouverl
Driver

could someone be kind enough to post a clip of how the engine is supposed to sound mine sounds like a sewing machine smooth but i can hear it not quiet as poster above mentioned
Old 04-07-11, 12:01 PM
dreddy
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Good news. I just got my 200 LS460 back and the tickling/rattling noise is gone. The previous dealer who installed the VSR did not do a good job. Lexus Hennessey said the following:

Road test car with Chassisear to Engine. Valve cover on Bank 1 & 2, and Engine Block
FOund noise coming from Both Bank. Bank 1 at 1600RPM to 2000RPM. Bank2 2000RPM to 2500Rpm. Removed Valve Cover, found all of the valve cover bolts loose. One bolt on Bank1 was only by 2 turns. Causing oil to Bleed out of lifters. Making Rattle Noise.

I am glad that my dealer fixed this problem and I am extremely happy now. I would definitely recommend this dealer if you are in the Atlanta area.
Old 04-07-11, 02:44 PM
MikeE12345
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It might be a favour to others if you were to report this to Lexus Corp. Such shoddy work should be brought to their attention. Were you in touch with the previous dealer?

Mike
Old 04-08-11, 09:40 AM
dreddy
Driver School Candidate

I will call Lexus and let them know. I do not know who the previous dealer was, but they should have the record. Now, the car ride is very smooth...

Quick Reply: 2007 460 strange engine noise