ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-4th-gen-2007-2017-178/)
-   -   2007 460 strange engine noise (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-4th-gen-2007-2017/554593-2007-460-strange-engine-noise.html)

rcpromo1 02-22-11 01:35 PM

2007 460 strange engine noise

has any body had a strange ticking noise that you can hear in the cabin sounds almost like a exaust leak or a fan blade ticking something under the hood..i have had the dealer check it they say nothing is wrong i just can't belive a 75k car can have this noise...any help:)

nolimitguj 02-22-11 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by rcpromo1 (Post 6167326)
has any body had a strange ticking noise that you can hear in the cabin sounds almost like a exaust leak or a fan blade ticking something under the hood..i have had the dealer check it they say nothing is wrong i just can't belive a 75k car can have this noise...any help:)

I had that noise after I got my VSR done. I took it to another dealership and they re-did the VSR. Apparently they left a spring loose? Who knows if they were telling me the truth. And then about a week later when the temperature dropped I heard it again, but not anywhere near as loud. I still heard it in the cabin. They said it had something to do with the fuel rail or injectors or throttle body, I dont exactly recall. However I havent heard it since so I think I am in the clear for now.

Take it to the dealer as have them look at it.

MikeE12345 02-23-11 12:08 PM

In cold weather my, now departed, Acura TL used to make a ticking noise for a while until the engine warmed up. I was told it was the fuel injectors and nothing to worry about. That seemed to make sense since it never happened in the summer.

jmcraney 02-23-11 01:54 PM

rcpromo1,

I have followed the LS460/600 discussions in several forums for the past three years because of my special interest in the "Wind Noise" problem. The engine noise problem that you described was the most common complaint after the wind noise in the 07s and 08s. It was usually passed off as fuel injector noise by Lexus and considered within the normal range of their expectation much to the consternation of many new car owners. There were indications that some of the complaints were resolved through Lemon Law claims that culminated in the repurchase of some of the cars by Lexus.

If I recall correctly the most likely cause is a "valve lash adjuster." There have been a few reports of cars that didn't have this problem before the Valve Spring Retrofit and then exhibiting it after the Valve Spring Retrofit. And, there were several reports of cars that had the engine noise problem before the Valve Spring Retrofit and they were very quiet after the retrofit. The VSR, in addition to all new valve springs, provides all new valve lash adjusters.

This admonishment in the Valve Spring Retrofit instructions caught my eye:
STOP, These are not self bleeding lash adjusters, if they are not bled properly, you will have excessive valve noise after installation.
End quote

If your car has not had the Valve Spring Retrofit then perhaps there will be some improvement when you get that done. The VSR is a NHTSA Safety Recall affecting all 2007 and 2008 LS460s.

cmasten 02-23-11 03:10 PM

Agreed, i had this noise and both it and my slight smoking when i jumped on it where both remedied with the VSR,, it runs smooth as silk now, 1000 miles and three months later

rcpromo1 03-06-11 01:35 PM

mine has had the valve springs replaced and they insist nothing is wrong but at an idle you can really hear it. Any ideas to make them repair it?

Thanks

Silverpaws 03-06-11 04:37 PM

If you live in south Fl and have not used JMLexus in Margate, you might want to see if they will address your concerns.

rcpromo1 03-07-11 06:04 AM

any chance i could get your vin so i can get my dealer to look at it and maybe redo mine?

Thanks!

ralph

IStoSC 03-07-11 06:21 AM

THIS HAPPENED TO OUR CAR after we got valve springs TSB done at Lexus of North Miami...there was a ton of noice. We took it to JM Lexus in Margate and I believe they fixed the problem...I do believe it may have to do with the VSR that Jmcraney is writing about...

rcpromo1 03-09-11 04:00 PM

could i possibly get your vin number to refrence it at my dealer?

Ralph

randomwalk 03-10-11 03:08 AM

I have this noise too. Need to have them look at it when they do the brake actuator.

edarte 03-10-11 08:17 AM

Is this noise different from the previously reported complaints that have been attributed to the high pressure direct injection? It was my understanding that this produces a "ticking" like sound that reminds me of the sound of valve tappets that need adjusting.

I hear this on my 2009 at idle and when I raised it with an LS mechanic he said it was due to the direct injection and "normal". Do others think this is in fact a correctable "problem"?

jbrittmart 03-10-11 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by edarte (Post 6212360)
Is this noise different from the previously reported complaints that have been attributed to the high pressure direct injection? It was my understanding that this produces a "ticking" like sound that reminds me of the sound of valve tappets that need adjusting.

I hear this on my 2009 at idle and when I raised it with an LS mechanic he said it was due to the direct injection and "normal". Do others think this is in fact a correctable "problem"?

i too have the very slight ticking at idle (after the VSR) and have heard this explanation before.

rcpromo1 03-11-11 08:55 AM

don't you think its weird that the noise is not there until the vsr is done

jmcraney 03-11-11 10:07 AM

Let's see now.:uh:

All of the cars have the same fuel injection system.:agreed:

Some of the cars have an odd engine noise.:sad:

Lexus says this is normal.:rolleyes: