LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

IS Mark Levinson system really worth it? THAT great?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-11, 11:07 PM
sgmorton
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I experimented today. XM is terrible. All the way around few channels sounded good. Aux play from my iPhone was quite a bit better and cd even better yet. The kick in the teeth is I like the variety of XM but now it's become tarnished.
Old 02-13-11, 08:50 AM
rolloman
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I test drove an 11 LS SWB yesterday with the ML system. WOW! I bluetoothed my iPhone 4 music and was totally blown away by the sound clarity and quality. I would think that would improve even more if hard wired via USB. I cranked it to about 75% and didn't hear any distortion or rattle.

Unless you're a sound engineer or expert audiophile, go for the ML! Crazy not to.
Old 02-13-11, 08:57 AM
CJITTY

Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

I think my ML sounds better than standard system, I have heard both and I think the extra 9 speakers makes a difference. My XM sounds great, especailly with mid range control, but i think the 10 speaker system has mid range adjustment too. XM sound i compressed and some channels sound better than other, luckily my stations have that better sound than when they play songs on the Foxxhole channel..which sounds kind of AM'ish if folks know what I am sayin.
Old 02-13-11, 09:37 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 232 Likes on 163 Posts

When I bought mine I didn't think the ML was that great b/c I tested it just by using FM radio since I didn't know it had XM and I didn't have a CD with me. It sounded no better than the premium stereo I had with my IS250. Once I got it home and listened to XM it sounded great. I plugged up my iphone and it sounded even better. I am glad my car had it b/c I looked for a month and not many had it in the color combination I wanted. I am surprised it wouldn't be standard. I believe it is standard in my GX470 although I think the ML in the LS460 is much better.
Old 02-13-11, 10:34 AM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

of all of the ML systems I have heard (LX, LS, SC and GS) I would easily say the ML in the LS is by far the best sounding all around. It is a very competent system and well worth the $2,000 investment. If I was buying new or a CPO with 1 or 2 years on it I would say it is a good investment if you like your audio and need to play DVDs etc for trips.

Audio CDs will get you about as good as your going to hear, if you have an IPOD and have some really clean audio samples, then make SURE you go into your AUX on your ML systems "line level" and not through the headphone jack. You will bypass the headphone amp and some circuity to help with the quality. You can use the center console which has a power outlet and use this, http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPa...duct_Id=156032 to keep your IPOD charged, there is a stereo mini output which takes the line output of your IPOD and you can plug right into the center console AUX input. They also give you an adjustable output on the power plug. Its an inexpensive way to get the best quality out of your IPODS. The wireless transmitters will usually just sound like FM.... and the bluetooth is not a bad option, but if you can go line out into your AUX you may be surprised. If you want to spend a couple of hundred and get the VAIS Tech unit, Nav integration is the way to go, that utilizes the line out also

Also to note, this Belkin only works with older IPODS , NOT the Iphone4 or newer IPODS, Griffin and some other companies make a device very similar for those. Kensington, makes a very nice one in black for the newer Ipods and Iphones at http://us.kensington.com/html/17597.html

Last edited by cmasten; 02-14-11 at 07:00 AM. Reason: added Vais as the top option
Old 02-13-11, 11:22 AM
krzyd
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I am a huge audiophile, I used to DJ, and have a 900 watt system in one of my older cars and the ML system in my LS is still amazing. The fidelity, clarity, and depth of bass is truly amazing. Also you really feel that the designers did an amazing job to integrate the system into the car with no vibrations or rattles no matter how loud you go. I have never been in a car that had a stock stereo even close to this. Its amazing. The first month I had the car it impressed me every day.....still does
I just got a 2008 LS460 with ML, and I couldn't agree more. You can get a louder system sure, but the clarity is hard to beat.
Old 02-13-11, 09:34 PM
ALeX300
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

oh you guys...I paused my search for the 'right' LS but i guess i'll continue to look for opaline pearl on black w/ML and comfort plus...
Old 02-13-11, 11:40 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

ML system is totally worth the wait. Even after owning the car for almost 4 moths I still find myself laughing at how amazing the sound is. Sometimes I will get out to check the mail and will simply roll my passenger side front window down so I can continue listening the the music while I get out to grab the mail
Old 02-14-11, 07:10 AM
mocon1422
Driver School Candidate

I love the ML system. My 460L has 19 speakers of crisp clear sound. Plenty enough to play it load. I had a moster aftermarket system with 2 12inch subs and that was overkill. Unless you want to be booming down the road, the ML is perfect.
Old 02-14-11, 09:20 PM
energie8
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I love my ML sound system, the thing is sounds amazing, better than Harmon/Kardon system in ML350 IMO thats in the family.
Old 01-30-15, 07:36 AM
jarodeve
Driver School Candidate

ML is one of the deciding factors in this car purchase for me. It's balance is what impressed me the most. It's like hearing BOSE for the first time back in the early 90's.
Old 01-30-15, 08:08 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

wow! you dug up an old thread! lol

Yes, any future Lexus, (looking for another LS for my mom ) will definitely have to have the ML system.
Old 01-30-15, 08:55 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Smile

The ML sound system is incredible. Listening to CD's or recorded songs on the HDD sounds "live". The clarity, fidelity and deep bass is awesome. If you just want to hear the music the standard system will suit you well. However, if you are a audiophile or really enjoy listening to music, the ML 19 speakers system is really worth it.
Old 01-30-15, 10:28 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i will just say again that it's the "reference" system that's the bomb (ls460, lx570). outside of these two, the rest of the ML systems in lexus, they are good but seriously i don't feel they are super outstanding. imho they are marginally better than the factory premium system and a lot of other audio upgrades in other brands nowadays that are better

but when it comes to mark levinson reference audio system in the LS and LX? just wow
Old 01-30-15, 10:47 AM
jarm
Pit Crew

Well you are going thru what I did when I bought my LS460 2007. I bought one without a ML in it. I took it to a auto sound custom place for the upgrade. I purchased several speakers and amp and had it installed. I went on the low side with speakers but not the amp. It was around 2500. Sounds great. Some people put Focal speakers for the upside in the money range.I am now looking to buy another LS. I want the 2013. When you sit inside the LS with the ML sound system, it will absolutely blow you away. I will NEVER buy another LS without it. One thing to remember. When you trade in or sell your non ML Lexus, do you want to remove all the good stuff you put in or leave it. My wife and I just went to the 2015 Car show in Houston. We sat in the new 2015 LS and listened to the ML system loud. It was unbelievable. Save your money, buy the ML system and never look back.

Quick Reply: IS Mark Levinson system really worth it? THAT great?