LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2008 LS460 Brake problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-10, 10:50 AM
camron
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 LS460 Brake problems

I have a 2008 LS460 with only 20K miles (bought it new) and have had brake issues from the very begining. First there was a squeak and rough braking with pulsating brakes. Took it in to the dealer (Lexus of Austin) and they bled the system several times. That did not cure the problem. So, they replaced the actuator. That seemed to fix the squeak. But, the rough braking (with pulsating brakes and small amount of shuddering) continued and infact increased. The pulsation and rough braking were very obvious when I lightly pressed the brakes.

I finally, took it in again and complained for the third or fourth time. This time they found the rotors were "warped" and resurfaced them without charge. The brakes are much smoother now. But the dealership claims the rotors are a wear item and not under warranty. Additionally, that this model has this issue with brakes and any future work would be a charge item.

The questions I have are, has any one heard about such a probelm with the LS460 brakes? and, how can they claim it is not a warranty item? Is there someone/somewhere I can raise visibility of this issue (so I don't have to pay for Lexus' quality problems)?

Not sure if NHTSA will look in to this?

I own/have owned 3 Lexus (SC400, RX300, LS460) and convinced several friends to buy them too. But this is very disappointing.

Thanks,
Camron
Old 11-27-10, 04:48 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

I have a 2008 LS 460 with about 15K miles. Almost from day one I heard a groaning sound when I applied the brakes, or when the car was started and put in reverse. The brake actuator was replaced under warranty and that fixed the groaning noise. Over the last few months I felt a slight shimmy when applying the brakes. The rotors were resurfaced under warranty. Lexus of Orlando has never given me any trouble about fixing any issues under warranty.
Old 11-30-10, 01:07 PM
KJFenton
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2007 LS 460L and I'm still fighting with Lexus Houston about the actuator. Had it in several times and they said it was because my brakes were glazed - paid to have them turned but still have the groan/squalk. Didn't know about the TSB until I found this site. Headed back for trip #4 to dealership!
Old 11-30-10, 02:59 PM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

I had the most noise when the car was started and I moved from park to reverse. The car was stationary so they could not say that the rotors were bad or brake pads were glazed etc. It took me a year to get the dealer to accept that there was a problem -- mostly because in the early stages it did not happen all the time so I could never show it to them when I took it in. However after about 10,000 miles it happened every single time I started the car and put it into reverse. They replaced it under warranty. It's quite expensive -- about $3.2K for parts and labor.

I also heard the same sound when I braked hard. This did not happen all the time. There are a few other people on this forum who had similar problems -- so search for threads that are about a year old and you will find other people who had the actuator replaced.
Old 12-01-10, 06:06 AM
dyeelitt
Driver School Candidate

I have an 08 460L with Touring package and have not had a problem. I have over 30K and the original brakes. I don't do a lot of city driving. The wheels get dirty almost immediately after the car is washed but that is the nature of the pads.
Old 12-06-10, 01:10 AM
topgun04
Driver

I have the same brake problem in my 08 LS460 as well. did the brake actuator and resurfacing the rotor.. Worked for awhile (about 5+ months) but now the noise is coming back.. Cold weather seems to make it worse.. I may trade in the car instead of chasing this problem. I already took the car to 2 different dealership 3 times (total) already.. enough time waste on a problem that both dealers does not have a clue...
Old 08-05-11, 03:29 PM
RobN
Driver School Candidate

Hi, I am new here. I have seen that members have posted threads related to brake problems that I am experiencing. I bought my 2008 LS460L as a Lexus certified vehicle (33,000 miles). I began to notice immediately this highly annoying brake vibration that occurs during slow speed braking endeavors. I brought it up to the dealer, but thus far no explanation. It is really annoying and ruins the driving experience for me; I am especially upset because I traded an excellent 2010 Infinity FX35(22,000 miles) for it. While the Infinity was a bit rough around the edges, it was a sound car in perfect condition. To me, this is a highly obvious problem. Some members have described what I am experiencing on this site: a vibration/ rumbling noise that occurs during slow speed braking. It does not happen every time, but does occur very frequently and at some point each time I drive the car. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If any other member has had a similar experience, I would greatly appreciate hearing from you. Thanks, Rob
Old 08-05-11, 06:26 PM
BigDMan
Driver School Candidate

Just had my rotors resurfaced last week. Surprizingly, the rear rotors were more warped than the front. They said the brake pads were like new and the rotors were so thick that they could be resurfaced 2 or 3 more times.
Old 08-05-11, 07:57 PM
bruceko
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Same shudder on my 2008.
It started at about 20k. At 28k the dealer resurfaced the rotors as a "courtesy"
It started again at 50k. I guess the rotors are only good for about 20k.
Rather sucky for a $70000 vehicle.
Old 08-05-11, 10:21 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

this is why I purchased an after market stock size kit for more durability

http://brakeperformance.com/brake-ro...ake-Rotors.php
Old 08-08-11, 02:38 PM
RobN
Driver School Candidate

Default 2008 LS460L brakes

Thanks to all who responded. The car goes in to the dealer on 8-10-11. I will let you know the outcome. All of your responses are appreciated and helpful.
Old 08-14-11, 11:58 AM
RobN
Driver School Candidate

Default 2008 LS460L brakes

Update: Actuator replaced and all is well....thus far. The car is currently running superbly. I am very happy, and the service department was great, as usual. Anyway, I will keep my fingers crossed. This site was very helpful, and I appreciate the responses.
Rob
Old 08-14-11, 04:34 PM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2008 Brake issues

I8ABMR has the right idea. Even using Brembo rotors no longer "guarantees" any degree of success. However, to make some feel more satisfied, these problems are not by any means isolated to Lexus, nor Toyota. It's just part of the game these days. I understand how annoying it is, but it's far more common on many car types than many realize.

Best Wishes to all, Mike

By the way ....... If ya want CLEAN wheels, use ceramic pads, and preferably
those made by Akebono, who invented the ceramic pad and who is the OEM to most of the auto manufacturers.

Last edited by Mikey100; 10-26-11 at 06:44 PM.
Old 08-15-11, 09:44 AM
woppenhe
Rookie

Thumbs up

Yes I had the same issue at 5K, and now at high speeds at 20K. They are going to look at it again today. How many times can they 'resurface' the rotors? Had the noisy actuator replaced very early on, and has been fine to date. Also needed an alignment early on as well, but has been very smooth and true since then. All of this done under warranty so far.
2010 LS460, 20K miles.
Old 10-26-11, 01:12 PM
richgeo
Driver School Candidate

Default LS 460 Brake noise

Originally Posted by camron
I have a 2008 LS460 with only 20K miles (bought it new) and have had brake issues from the very begining. First there was a squeak and rough braking with pulsating brakes. Took it in to the dealer (Lexus of Austin) and they bled the system several times. That did not cure the problem. So, they replaced the actuator. That seemed to fix the squeak. But, the rough braking (with pulsating brakes and small amount of shuddering) continued and infact increased. The pulsation and rough braking were very obvious when I lightly pressed the brakes.

I finally, took it in again and complained for the third or fourth time. This time they found the rotors were "warped" and resurfaced them without charge. The brakes are much smoother now. But the dealership claims the rotors are a wear item and not under warranty. Additionally, that this model has this issue with brakes and any future work would be a charge item.

The questions I have are, has any one heard about such a probelm with the LS460 brakes? and, how can they claim it is not a warranty item? Is there someone/somewhere I can raise visibility of this issue (so I don't have to pay for Lexus' quality problems)?

Not sure if NHTSA will look in to this?

I own/have owned 3 Lexus (SC400, RX300, LS460) and convinced several friends to buy them too. But this is very disappointing.

Thanks,
Camron
I am getting a noise at almost a complete stop. It sounds like a tom-tom drum. Very weird. Any ides to the problem.

Quick Reply: 2008 LS460 Brake problems