LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 vs S550 vs BMW 7 series

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-10, 06:43 PM
elite7
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
I would like to read the review, can you post a link if possible?

As for the assessment of the three. The Lexus LS460 doesn't come close to the S550 or 7 series. The biggest problem with the LS is the design, all the materials, workmanship assembly are all state of the art but what defines the flagship luxury market right now is design.

Lexus clearly dropped the ball and miscalculated BMW and their iDrive technology. I don't care what anyone says about this subject, Lexus clearly made a mistake END OF STORY. Period. Every car manufacturing that sells luxury or near luxury now offer their own take on iDrive. Even the Hyundai Genesis has this. Lexus also designed a more traditional type of car with the way the interior is laid out. Step inside a Camry or a LS and the interior are designed following the old stand center stack with HVAC/Radio and what
else.

As for sales numbers, Lexus LS only does well because it starts almost $18k below the competition.

MT magazine said it right. The LS is "nice, but no longer nicest"
You are kidding me right?

You do realize that iDrive doesnt make the whole vehicle right? From what you are telling me the BMW is a better car compared to the LS460 because it has the iDrive.

I do not see how it is an advantage. I have played around with iDrive and did not like it at all. First it takes some time to learn it whereas in the Lexus you just push what you want on the touchscreen. In terms of ease of use the Lexus is clearly easier to use.

From my research there are many disadvantages to iDrive such as:

1. Too Slow.
2. Bad Controller.
3. Not Informational.

You can read more here:

http://themobileexperience.blogspot....lly-sucks.html

In terms of Consumer Reports the LS460 scored 99 out of 100 points and they are much more credible than your opinions. The same report rated the Mercedes S550 86 out of 100 points which is considerably lower and at the same time that is a car that costs $90,000+ which is substantially more expensive than the Lexus LS460. I am unsure what the BMW is rated. The only reason the LS460 didnt get 100 points is probably because the new LS will be better so they had to dock 1 point.

http://www.lexusreports.com/blog/101...ports-rankings

Best Car Overall was the LS460 L. Wonder why it wasnt BMW 7 series or Mercedes S550 because as you claim they are superios to the LS460 because the LS460 doesnt have iDrive .

To finish off you are discrediting the LS460 on the basis that it doesnt have iDrive which is completely unfair. From my 1996 LS400 to my 2005 LS430 and to my 2008 LS460 none have iDrive. Nonetheless each are better vehicles compared to their BMW and Mercedes counterparts. You are not taking into consideration reliability, safety, comfort, quality, and handling. Bottom line iDrive is not an advantage over the setup in the LS460.

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Hey Lexlaw. When I say upgrade, I mean new car, not better or advanced car. I guess I should of made it clear.

We don't need a large sedan, we really don't. I rarely drive it, my girlfriend drives it as it is hers. I also don't park it in my underground, I park my truck there. The LS stays outside because the place is mine and I paid for the place.
Wonderful. You are bashing a car that you do not have the intention of buying so why should you be seen as a credible source of information?

I would be interested to hear your insights in a few years after you buy that 1 series. You know BMW is offering 4 years of service free of charge for a reason right? Somehow i dont see Lexus offering this.

Last edited by elite7; 06-15-10 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-16-10, 03:42 AM
tomd
Rookie

Default You have got to be kidding

You Can't possibly be suggesting that the LExus is a better car than the BMW or Lexus.

My mother owns the 2010 LS460 awd, my brother the BMW and I have the 2009 S550 4 Matic. The Lexus isn't even in the same league as the other two. Case closed.
Old 06-16-10, 06:58 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by tomd
You Can't possibly be suggesting that the LExus is a better car than the BMW or Lexus.

My mother owns the 2010 LS460 awd, my brother the BMW and I have the 2009 S550 4 Matic. The Lexus isn't even in the same league as the other two. Case closed.

I guess it is in your court, others believe it or not do think Lexus is better than the Bimmer & Benz. In the end like all choices we make are all subjective, It will be a waste of energy thinking that anyone's mind will be changed to what another member thinks/feel about these brands. People have their camps for their own reasons even if we find their points valid or not, chalk it up to agree to disagree topic.

BTW-people will switch camps based on experiences, taste changing, and driving priorities. Some people will be lucky to own little of them all at once, having cake and eating it too!

Last edited by Tee; 06-16-10 at 07:30 AM.
Old 06-16-10, 07:05 AM
tomd
Rookie

Default I agree

Thanks for the post, and I agree with your thinking.

It's just that sometimes I'm reminded about a Buick ad that was run a number of years ago. The Buick announcer asserted; "Some people think that the new Buick is even better than a Mercedes".

My condolences to those people, and I hope they are able to convince themselves of that claim.

Reminds me of the phrase that was attributed to PT Barnum
Old 06-16-10, 07:23 AM
elite7
Driver

Im not suggesting it, because everyone knows the Lexus is better im just restating it. You are right, The LS460 isnt in the same league as the BMW and Mercedes.

Its on a completely higher level.

The other 2 dont have an 8 speed transmission, dont have a 19 speaker 450 watt mark levinson system, cost significantly higher, are far less reliable, are worse on fuel efficiency, are not as quiet in terms of db ratings, and 0-60 times are the same on the Lexus or Mercedes with the exception of the BMW because they had to turbo their 7 series just to get it to be slightly faster than the Lexus or Mercedes.

Of course you are not gonna say the Lexus is better because you own 2 Mercedes, but regardless the Lexus blows the Mercedes out of the water whether you choose to believe it or not. I dont believe the LS460 is better i KNOW the LS460 is better. If not why didnt the Mercedes S550 win Best Car of the Year?

Why did consumerreports rate your Mercedes S550 86 out of 100 points and its a $90,000+ car? I wonder how you are going to come up with an answer to this question.....

On the other hand as i mentioned the Lexus LS460 scored 99 our of 100 points compare to the Mercedes S550 86 points which is a huge difference especially considering the Mercedes costs quite a bit more cash.

Consumer reports isnt just a "joke" or unreliable report. They test the vehicles in multiple categories and have much more experience and knowledge in terms of comparisons than you or I do.

Thats fine if you Enjoy your Mercedes S550 and CL550 but please dont go up to any knowledgeable Mechanic and tell them Mercedes is better than Lexus because they will laugh at you. Lets talk in 4-5 years and then we will see whos car had more reliability issues.

I dont have a problem with you liking Mercedes S550 but you suggesting that the Lexus LS460 is inferior is just an unresearched and false claim.

I leave you with this question: Can you show me one other car that was reviewed by consumerreports to get 99 out of 100 points and if you can't find another vehicle with that score why couldn't you?

Also, What are you getting with your Mercedes S550 that makes it worth $20,000-$25,000 more than the Lexus LS460? Thats an insane price difference and from my research the LS460 is more loaded and has more feaures while at the same time costing significantly less.

Not only does the Lexus LS460 blow the Mercedes S550 out of the water, but the Exterior and Interior are nicer as well:

Last edited by elite7; 06-16-10 at 08:07 AM.
Old 06-16-10, 08:22 AM
tomd
Rookie

Default Insanity

Right.

Time to up your medication.

Consumer Reports knows nothing about enthusiast cars. They should stick with washing machines and feminine hygeine spray.

Not ONE car nut on earth would pick the Lexus. None. My mother owns a 2010 LS460. She's 86. Sounds about right.

Last edited by tomd; 06-16-10 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-16-10, 09:42 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by elite7
You are kidding me right?

You do realize that iDrive doesnt make the whole vehicle right? From what you are telling me the BMW is a better car compared to the LS460 because it has the iDrive.

I do not see how it is an advantage. I have played around with iDrive and did not like it at all. First it takes some time to learn it whereas in the Lexus you just push what you want on the touchscreen. In terms of ease of use the Lexus is clearly easier to use.

From my research there are many disadvantages to iDrive such as:

1. Too Slow.
2. Bad Controller.
3. Not Informational.

You can read more here:

http://themobileexperience.blogspot....lly-sucks.html

In terms of Consumer Reports the LS460 scored 99 out of 100 points and they are much more credible than your opinions. The same report rated the Mercedes S550 86 out of 100 points which is considerably lower and at the same time that is a car that costs $90,000+ which is substantially more expensive than the Lexus LS460. I am unsure what the BMW is rated. The only reason the LS460 didnt get 100 points is probably because the new LS will be better so they had to dock 1 point.

http://www.lexusreports.com/blog/101...ports-rankings

Best Car Overall was the LS460 L. Wonder why it wasnt BMW 7 series or Mercedes S550 because as you claim they are superios to the LS460 because the LS460 doesnt have iDrive .

To finish off you are discrediting the LS460 on the basis that it doesnt have iDrive which is completely unfair. From my 1996 LS400 to my 2005 LS430 and to my 2008 LS460 none have iDrive. Nonetheless each are better vehicles compared to their BMW and Mercedes counterparts. You are not taking into consideration reliability, safety, comfort, quality, and handling. Bottom line iDrive is not an advantage over the setup in the LS460.

Wonderful. You are bashing a car that you do not have the intention of buying so why should you be seen as a credible source of information?

I would be interested to hear your insights in a few years after you buy that 1 series. You know BMW is offering 4 years of service free of charge for a reason right? Somehow i dont see Lexus offering this.
Please don't bother responding to that member, he was banned for a multitude of reasons including trolling and baiting.

Right.

Consumer Reports knows nothing about enthusiast cars. They should stick with washing machines and feminine hygeine spray.

Not ONE car nut on earth would pick the Lexus. None. My mother owns a 2010 LS460. She's 86. Sounds about right.
Benz's avg age of buyer is in the same range as Lexus. Please let us not act like a bunch of 20 year olds are buying AMG 65s and going to Laguna Seca in them to drive on the track.

Consumer Reports doesn't judge cars on driving at the track, they judge them on everyday use.

Are 4500lbs and 5000 lbs cars really "enthusiast" cars in purity? No they are not.

People can be just as enthused with better steering feel as peace and quiet in a car.
Old 06-16-10, 10:36 AM
elite7
Driver

Right.

Sorry but no medication for me but thanks for your concern anyhow. Shows some lack of knowledge on your part, in terms of the car department by saying "Consumer Reports knows nothing about enthusiast cars. They should stick with washing machines and feminine hygeine spray." Anyone who knows something about cars would laugh at you if told them that Consumer Reports knows nothing about cars. After all they did announce that the 2010 GX460 was not safe at higher speeds which ended up to Lexus announcing the Recall. So they must know something apparently more than you or I do.

They rate cars on a variety of factors such as:

Overall the Lexus LS460 wins because it "delivers notably better fuel economy--21 mpg vs. 17--and easy, more intuitive controls." and "According to our latest Annual Auto Reliability Survey, the Lexus LS has shown consistently high reliability; the Mercedes-Benz S-Class continues to be below average. "

Also the article states that:

Lexus LS460 - HIGHS Acceleration, ride, engine and transmission, fuel economy, quietness, interior room, fit and finish, seat comfort.

LOWS Lack of agility.

Mercedes S550 - HIGHS Acceleration, ride, handling, steering, interior room, seat comfort, fit and finish.

LOWS Controls, price, rocker window switches, reliability.

Thats why the Lexus LS460 gets 99 out of 100 points while the Mercedes S550 gets 86 out of 100 points. The S550 has 4 low points compared to the LS460's one. Now if you want to keep shouting that the S550 is better you are only going to be kidding yourself. Just because you say its better with no solid proof doesnt make it a fact. If ConsumerReports gave the Mercedes S550 a 99 out of 100 I am sure you wouldnt be saying they know nothing about enthusiast cars.

Next you are gonna say consumerreports are biased which is false. As I mentioned they did announce that the 2010 GX460 was not safe at higher speeds which ended up to Lexus announcing the Recall.

There are a lot of car enthusiasts who like VW beetles, Chevy Impalas, Chevy Pinto, and Pacer enthusiasts. That doesnt mean they are good reliable cars. Your mother is a smart woman . She made a good choice. I am a Lexus owner for life thanks to my wife. Women have good tastes in cars.

By the way awesome response to not even ONE of my bolded questions. Shows you dont have an answer.

Also what is interesting is that although the Mercedes S550 engine has almost a full liter bigger engine the horsepower is almost equal between the 4.6L and 5.5L V8's and the Torque is only 20 more in the Mercedes S550 which is not impressive. 0-60 times will be the same on both vehicles in terms of daily driving.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Please don't bother responding to that member, he was banned for a multitude of reasons including trolling and baiting.

Benz's avg age of buyer is in the same range as Lexus. Please let us not act like a bunch of 20 year olds are buying AMG 65s and going to Laguna Seca in them to drive on the track.

Consumer Reports doesn't judge cars on driving at the track, they judge them on everyday use.

Are 4500lbs and 5000 lbs cars really "enthusiast" cars in purity? No they are not.

People can be just as enthused with better steering feel as peace and quiet in a car.
Nicely put 1SICKLEX I agree with your comments 100%. I agree that we should not act like a bunch of 20 year olds. By my postings i try to have meaningful discussions and post serious questions. Also unlike many others i actually back up what i am saying with sources as well as facts and i keep opinions out of discussions.

Last edited by elite7; 06-16-10 at 11:33 AM.
Old 06-16-10, 10:54 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by elite7
Sorry but no meds for me........
Don't waste too much effort on convincing anyone what they should like or shouldn't like.
This is why ice cream comes in 31 flavors (of course there are more)

MOST mbs and bmws are leased so after 3 years, hardly anyone wants to keep them knowing the maintenance will drain their pocket book.

As for lexus, the majority owners keep them for a long time.

reliability+smoothness (yes the road isolation that every mags hate)+luxury=this is why I prefer lexus.

at the end of the day, every car have their positive attributes

as for AMGS and the alpina B7
Old 06-16-10, 11:05 AM
elite7
Driver

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Don't waste too much effort on convincing anyone what they should like or shouldn't like.
Dont worry I am not, but when someone is falsely claiming one car is better than another with no facts or evidence I like to give my 2 cents. Cheers.

By the way this was :

"The LS-460 includes more technology than any other passenger vehicle offered for sale in the U.S." says Phil Magney, president and principal analyst with TRG. "Based on our criteria of 30 technology features in the areas of telematics, infotainment, and driver assist technologies, the LS-460 scores the highest of all vehicles."

Last edited by elite7; 06-16-10 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-16-10, 03:16 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

I have the 2009 S550 4 Matic. The Lexus isn't even in the same league as the other two. Case closed.
I have to admit you are right there. When I priced the 2007 S550 vs. my 2007 LS460 with identical options, the MB was a full $25,000 more.

I'll concede the MB was a slightly better handling car, but the outrageous price was the only thing that put it out of the LS460 league!
Old 06-16-10, 08:20 PM
MannyRCF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
I have to admit you are right there. When I priced the 2007 S550 vs. my 2007 LS460 with identical options, the MB was a full $25,000 more.

I'll concede the MB was a slightly better handling car, but the outrageous price was the only thing that put it out of the LS460 league!
I agree but for the 25K extra I would just pick up a new 370Z and turn into a track beast...then you got the best luxury sedan with a track monster.
Old 06-17-10, 08:53 AM
VQ35ohwhat
Driver School Candidate

my first pick would be the ls460, then s550, then the new 7 series. LS looks so slick from the side!!!
Old 06-17-10, 09:54 AM
Seven07
Rookie

Originally Posted by Manny735
I agree but for the 25K extra I would just pick up a new 370Z and turn into a track beast...then you got the best luxury sedan with a track monster.
It is an obvious fact that Lexus isn't in the same league as MB and BMW. Even Lexus knows this, hence the price is $25000 less. If the LS was priced at the same price as BMW and MB, it would have zero sales. So to compare he Lexus LS to BMW and MB, it's irrelevant
Old 06-17-10, 11:47 AM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Seven07
It is an obvious fact that Lexus isn't in the same league as MB and BMW. Even Lexus knows this, hence the price is $25000 less. If the LS was priced at the same price as BMW and MB, it would have zero sales. So to compare he Lexus LS to BMW and MB, it's irrelevant

My, these are pretty bold statements. I didn't realize it was so obvious.

Please go back under your bridge.

Quick Reply: LS460 vs S550 vs BMW 7 series