LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 vs S550 vs BMW 7 series

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-10, 10:43 AM
MannyRCF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
excuse me, but let me requote you again

you said it's an obvious fact that lexus isn't in the same league as mb and bmw, which last i checked was not a fact. again, you are entitled to your opinion, i respect that, and it's completely fine. but your opinion doesn't mean fact, not even close.

see, your opinion, nothing more, nothing less. just like some people say bmw is not the same as mb in terms of prestige or vise versa. opinions, not facts.

cheaper and more reliable AUTOMATICALLY put others out of business? i guess you missed the part about driving feel, handling, brand loyalty, personal preference, etc...?

and i guess all auto magazine editors are complete morons (not like i think they are genius though) coz' they constantly put mb, bmw, lexus, audi, jag together in comparison and compared fairly.

see, i am not pro lexus, i own bmw too. i respect comments from all sides, everyone has their preference. but when people put opinions as facts, that's another matter

Henry you are my hero
Old 06-18-10, 12:07 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Seven07
It is an obvious fact that Lexus isn't in the same league as MB and BMW. Even Lexus knows this, hence the price is $25000 less. If the LS was priced at the same price as BMW and MB, it would have zero sales. So to compare he Lexus LS to BMW and MB, it's irrelevant
Hmmm, you forgot (or don't know) you can get an S350 V-6 S-class in Europe for the price of a V-8 LS 460.

You also forget that nearly 80% of 7 series cars are leased in America, not bought. So MSRP means nothing, nadda, zilch.

It is a FACT that Lexus LS is priced lower than BMW and MB. It is OBVIOUS that Lexus priced it that way to give them a chance at sales against BMW and MB.

With that said, is it a fact that Lexus more reliable than BMW and MB? Yes. Is Lexus design better than BMW and MB? It's subjective and there's no definite answer for this since everyone has their own taste. Is Lexus as prestige and in the same league as BMW and MB? $25,000 No. Is Lexus better than BMW and MB? Again, it's subjective. It's depend on what you're looking for in a car in term of reliability, prestige, performance or design.

And that's why eventhough Lexus is more reliable and cheaper than it's competitors, it still can't put BMW and MB out of business.
You are making this a win/lose arguement. Lexus/BMW/Benz are all great brands and sell in great quantities all based on different merits.

Funny but the IS F costs as much/more than the M3/C63 and from the data we had it was selling just as well. Lexus is cheaper in some cases but in many cases as much or more expensive.
Old 06-19-10, 09:42 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This shouldn't be so emotional of a topic. The bottom line is that opinions are just that. OPINIONS! Just because we may disagree doesn't mean a person is right and were wrong. Gents/Ladies please don't get to bothered by what we disagree on. Most here like Lexus to but, they also may like Benz,Jaguar,Audi and BMW as well as own one of the other makes or all of them!

Just because this is a Lexus site we need to show class and I'm disappointed to see Lexus owners act like Benz,BMW/Jaguar and Audi owners. If you act a certain way, its either just an emotional act or who you truly are. These are just cars, not kids or wives or mothers or father nor any family members. Thats not to say cars arent important to members but heck, we are all adults and people have OPINIONS about cars that we wont agree with.

I actually appreciate the honesty from those who support the Euro makes. I owned a Benz and aside from the technical issues its a great car. Thats my OPINION only, Im not right or wrong, dont attack me. Im not the judge who decides what YOU or anyone else shuld like. In other words dont take what fellow members say personally.

Take the emotion out of your view of others OPINION and enjoy this site. Have fun and maybe if you and me open our minds we may learn from those who we disagree with. A disagreement is nothing more than a difference in knowledge. We tend to disagree with what we dont understand or dont like, on eor the other. In either case, we can learn from each other. Lexus is a great car but, that said so are Benz,BMW,Jaguar and Audi!

We all buy for different reasons gents/ladies, some buy for looks and other reliability while others for status/prestige! Does what another person eat make we use the bathroom? No, s why not learn why he or she likes the car instead of being a jerk and arguing. As we age we should get WISE, not angry! L.G.N.M
Old 06-19-10, 10:00 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

About the cars!!! The Lexus has a reputation for reliability and interior features but bad grades/reputation when it comes to performance and design(exterior). The BMW has a great reputation for performance as well as a bad reputation for resale and reliability issues. The Benz has a great reputation for performance and great design but, has developed a reputation for bad reliability. Jaguar has had horrible issues as far as reliability but, has a great reputation for design and performance while reliability remains an issue, they improved when Ford took over year by year.

Audi has a reputation for great design and performance but, reliability isnt perfect but, good. My point is all cars have pros and cons but, its the buyer who decides what she/he likes not us who disagree. The Benz is the best car ever to that human. The BMW is the best car ever to another human as is the case for each car made. Who's right? Whos wrong? Nobody is right nor wrong but, each individual is right to themselves.

It matters what we feel ourselves, not what others think. Opinions should be respected and used as a tool to learn and not viewed as something that is bad. I learn on this site more when not attacked. Using words are powerful and the tongue is the weapon. Its not what you say to a fellow member its how you say. Show why Benz is great without bashing the Lexus and Lexus lovers show why Lexus is great without bashing the BMW and on and on.

You can compare but, dont call the car you dont like a piece of junk because people will tune you out! To keep folks tuned in be respectful while proving your point. Point out whats good about what you oppose because there is good in everything. If you only point out the bad you will lose the debate and your opinion is biased.

Be WISE, a fool only wants to find why he/she is right but a WISE MAN/WOMAN proves himself as WISE by learning from one another. Perfection starts when realizing were flawed!

My point is that all these cars in the topic are top of the line. We can eat at "The Palm" or "Ruths Chris", doesnt matter, the food will be good!!!! Thats how I see all these top model cars. You can either date Halle Berry or Angelina Jolie, either way they look marvelous, its about taste and not which looks the best to me, but to YOU!!! L.G.N.M
Old 06-19-10, 12:49 PM
MrDC1000
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've avoided jumping into this discussion, but it is fun and there are smart opinions on both sides. Let's face it, all of these cars are awesome in certain aspects, and some people value certain aspects over others. I think there are a few key facts that distinguish these cars, and it's up to each of us to determine what is important to us:

1. Relaibility: Lexus > BMW > Mercedes
2. Ride Luxuriness: Lexus > BMW,Mercedes
3. Handling: BMW, Mercedes > Lexus

Everything else is just opinion (pretige, looks, design, etc). Make your own choice.

Having said that, I own an LS460L, as I value #1 and #2 much more than #3. Our chairman owned an S550 and it was in the shop all the friggin time! He traded it for a Maserati. I know a few owners of 750il and it's not quite as bad, but they still have a lot of problems. All of this is supported by CR data. So, my choice was easy, since I wanted a hassle free, roomy, luxurious ride. I could care less about the badge. (well, I also think the tech in Lexus is made with simplicity in mind, but that's only an opinion!!!!!!).

My 2 cents.
Old 06-19-10, 08:48 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I love the passion on the 460 forums.. So nice to see current generation owners of LS, MB and BMW duke it out and all getting nowhere really. Thus is the nature of automobiles, passion and irrational thoughts and emotional feelings.

Keep it coming, fun reading during midnight hours when I'm drowsy...

Take it for what it's worth, but last time I went back to Taiwan, the Lexus make was seen just as highly there as anything from BMW or MB, but then again, Ford is doing well there too...
Old 06-19-10, 09:01 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

In my opinion the LS460 Sport is the way to go. It is not a match for the BMW on handling but it is more than a match for the Benz. Plus in the comfort mode it is the plushest of the bunch. It's more reliable. And its substantially less expensive.

I only switched from driving BMWs in a row to driving my first Lexus a year ago. I made my decision because I wasn't prepared to drive a less equipped car, and for the same level of equipment the BMW 550i was $10,000 more expensive on list price and $15,000 more expensive on actual price. That's almost a 20% premium and the only way I could justify it is if that premium remained on the used cars. However when I went to the used lots, it seemed the Lexus was trading slightly above the equivalent BMW model - probably because the BMWs in practice were less well equipped.

And having owned the Lexus for a year it's the best car I've ever had. I'm not looking back.
Old 06-20-10, 01:52 PM
carfanmd
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have never seen such a heated debate and total emotions spilling over based on a car discussion. People need to take a breath or two. That being said, I must side with the Lexus folks here with regard to the value, quality and reliability of the Lexus LS460. I feel that it is second to none in those areas. That being said, sure some people feel BMW or MB have an "elevated prestige" over Lexus. They cite the increased price of the BMW and MB over the Lexus to prove the point such that the barrier to entry may be higher, the buyers must be really motivated, the number of cars are more limited and thus exclusive, etc. As a collector of mechanical watches I can understand this argument but in the watch world (where high end watches more closely resemble works of art rather than manufactured goods) there is a more direct correlation of quality, price and prestige...not so much so in the car world necessarily. In the case of cars, I feel quality can and does cost less with Lexus but that does not mean Lexus is less prestigious than some other luxury car. It simply means it is less expensive. I don't know about most of the folks here but I can buy any car I want any time I want. I always make my purchasing decisions with a sense of quality and value as priorities. To say Lexus is not as prestigious or valuable because it is less expensive misses the key point and focuses on something that I believe is tangential to the discussion of cars in an objective way. Really, how prestigious can any good be that is made in vast numbers year after year? There is nothing limited about these things nor should there be. I am proud that I can get a better product (in my opinion) for less money even though I can shell out more money elsewhere. That is part of what I consider a prestigious car to be. Prestige must incorporate more than price. When I drop the car at the Valet do I know what he thinks about me or do I care? Frankly, I have owned all these brands and am treated exactly the same way...with respect. To get to the bottom line, if we want to argue over which car drives better in tests (slalom, breaking etc), has more performance (0-60), or handles better I think that is a worthwhile exercise. But to say one is less prestigious (whatever that really means) simply because of price is a discussion that I feel is misplaced and is frankly a waste of time because people aspire to different things and nothing one person says will impact what the other really thinks about such matters and I'm not sure it should in any event. Each person feels what they do for whatever reason. If you want a BMW or MB buy it and enjoy. I am happy with my LS460 whether you think it to be prestigious or not. Live and let Live. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-20-10, 06:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Thank you. That's exactly my point. When you guys bought your LS, don't tell me you didn't put reliability first before prestige. Trust me, people that buy BMW and MB know that Lexus is more reliable, but reliability doesn't mean anything for a certain people. You can say all you want, but Lexus isn't there yet in term of prestige.

For you that said BMW and MB are over price, you don't understand a thing about prestige. I guess you've never paid 6 oz of steak for $100 and not complain about it.
yup, you can say all you want too, but that's about where your opinions end -- your opinions. and no, i don't trust you. when i shopped for my ls460l, it was head to head against the s550. but i chose the ls460l not coz' of reliability as my first priority, but overall better car.

oh and on the other hand, i do think the s550 has more presence and i feel it has a bit more prestige too, so what? i don't think bmw has close to as much prestige at all, so what makes you right that bmw and mb both are more prestigious? that's right, that's just nothing more than purely your opinions, which i respect, and at the same time disagree.
Old 06-20-10, 06:41 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

I am amazed how emotionl this topic is. I guess no matter what, if you give human beings anything to argue about, they will. Doesn't matter if its a debate over who's better,Kobe or LeBron James or the Dallas Cowboys,Pittsburgh Steelers,Green Bay Packers or SanFrancisco 49ers or New York City, Los Angeles or Chicago, people find away to go head to head.

I think all(Benz,BMW,Lexus and etc,.) the cars are great. It's like deciding which flavor of ice cream is better, chocolate,vanilla or strawberry? It's not a matter of either being the best, it's a matter of what's best to you!!! Let's remember, all on this site are mostly members of clublexus and like Lexus cars, let's respect the fact some members like Lexus and Benz as well as BMW, theres nothing wrong with that. PLEASE, open your minds to all opinions. It doesnt mean you have to like Benz more than Lexus or BMW,Audi or Jaguar more than Lexus.

Its just a chance to learn a bit more about other makes. These of us who have owned a Benz,BMW,Jaguar or Audi are with Lexus for various reasons I image. When the dust settles, there all just cars. YES, some have more features and last longer than others. Some drive sporty while others handle like limo's. Some feel cat quick and stop on a dime. Does it truly matter this much we argue over this. Disagree, please but how about showing the same respect to other memebrs we want from them. I learned something as I aged.

The problem with me isnt what people do to me nor what they say, its me. These are cars, just cars and theres no need for US fellow members to argue about a car. Its just not worth it. L.G.N.M

Last edited by usermel; 06-20-10 at 06:44 PM. Reason: many
Old 06-20-10, 06:52 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Oh, I owned a Benz(a couple ML500 and S-Class Benz) before and they are nice car. Had some issues as they are well documented. One memebr did mention the fact that some who own Benzes and BMW's aren't concerned with the reliability of there cars as much as people who decide Lexus is for them due to a higher rate of reliability with Lexus ownership.

That said, I have friends and Im the only one who owns a Lexus. They all own European makes and the question they ask me is the same. Why don't you get a Benz or BMW? I tell them that I owned a Benz and its not for me. YES, I love the look of the new S550 but, reliability holds me back. Im just happy with my LS430 and if given a new S550 or any other new car I would drive my LS I own now. WHY? I just like it. Im not right or wrong, Im just human. Heck, I dont blame those who support Benz and BMW as well as Audi and Jaguar at all. Those are all great cars ladies/gents. Those people feel about there European make autos like we do about our Lexus'!

Can WE all agree at least that the ability to like what we do should be respected?

L.G.N.M
Old 06-20-10, 09:23 PM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

Oh pleeeeeeeeeeasssssse. The best metric for "better engineering" is dB levels at different speeds?

This is what some Lexus people fail to understand. A car, to other people, is more than just a quiet, beautifully upholstered couch to sit on to get from A to B. S550 and 7 series are truly just more dang entertaining to drive than the LS460, and most comparisons note this. On TOP of that, the brand prestige is just there with the Merc and the Beamer.

We can argue all day whether or not elite7 thinks that the Mercedes and BMW are really worth the extra $20k. The FACT is that they are. The prices prove that. I'm sure they had at least one qualified person analyzing the market and setting the prices...
Old 06-21-10, 07:53 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Mmmm, I 've read at least 2 reviews that states the LS460 Sports model is a better drive than the S550, so Lexus took care of that as well, those who want the tradition serene LS ride(which many do) can just take the regular LS model.

And all the flagship cars from all luxury brands are too big and heavy to be enthusiasts cars anyway, only "pretend enthusiasts" which make up 90%+ of the people yapping at "enthusiasts car forums" would regard them as true enthusiasts' cars LMAO !!!

Want a real fun car, a smaller lightweight sports/sporty car is the only way to go.
Old 06-21-10, 11:42 AM
elite7
Driver

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Oh pleeeeeeeeeeasssssse. The best metric for "better engineering" is dB levels at different speeds?

This is what some Lexus people fail to understand. A car, to other people, is more than just a quiet, beautifully upholstered couch to sit on to get from A to B. S550 and 7 series are truly just more dang entertaining to drive than the LS460, and most comparisons note this. On TOP of that, the brand prestige is just there with the Merc and the Beamer.

We can argue all day whether or not elite7 thinks that the Mercedes and BMW are really worth the extra $20k. The FACT is that they are. The prices prove that. I'm sure they had at least one qualified person analyzing the market and setting the prices...
Here we go again.....another keyboard warrior providing his opinion rather than giving facts.

I guess you need to learn how to properly read. Where did i say its the best metric for "better engineering"?

It clearly is better engineering to have lower db at idle, full throttle, and driving at 70mph but i never stated that it's the best metric. It is just one of the many metrics.

Last time i checked the lower the db the better especially considering this is a LUXURY vehicle. You must be nuts to say that is not better engineering. Hope you realize no one is going to agree with what you just posted because you are EXTREMELY wrong. You would have to be extremely ignorant to want higher db on a Luxury vehicle which does not make any sense.

At these kinds of prices for each vehicle trust me anyone who owns a LS460 can easily afford to shell out the $15-20,000 extra that a S550 would cost. However the extra 20k that you are shelling out is just so that you have that badge. If it really was worth the extra $15-20,000 i would have a S550 sitting in my garage rather than my 2008 Lexus LS460.

You should really go do some research. Yet again you are wrong.

Last time i checked over at the bimmerfest forums the LS460 actually costs more to lease than a 750i.

So what if its more entertaining? Even if it is more entertaining we Lexus enthusiasts dont care. We want luxury, reliability, comfort, and technology but i guess you still cant get that through your thick skull .

As i said there are many cars that can be had for 1/2 the price of the Lexus LS460 that can outperform it and be more entertaining but we dont care about those things which you FAIL to realize.

Your post doesnt have a purpose and doesnt accomplish anything in this discussion .

BTW about your prestige "opinion" .... I bought my Lexus LS460 because I like it. I'm not trying to impress anyone.

Anyho you really have no clue what you are talking about:

"Luxury Institute reports most prestigeous brands: 1) Porsche 2) Lexus/Mercedes Benz 3) BMW

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEW YORK, NY -- (MARKET WIRE) -- 04/05/07 -- For the second straight year, Porsche earned the top score as the most prestigious luxury automobile brand in the 2007 Luxury Brand Status Index (LBSI) survey from the independent New York-based Luxury Institute. Mercedes and Lexus tied for second place; BMW was rated third.
"

Yes i know this was back in 2007 but if it can be just as prestigous as Mercedes and even more prestigous than BMW than 2-3 years arent going to make a difference.

To top it all off Lexus is much much younger than Porsche, Mercedes, or BMW and yet it still is as prestigous as Mercedes and even more Prestigous than BMW.

http://forums.caranddriver.com/showthread.php?t=538436

Last edited by elite7; 06-24-10 at 11:42 AM.
Old 06-21-10, 12:30 PM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I truly believe Lexus do offer better value for your money. Hands down
But it’s no way in hell do I believe Lexus is just as prestige as MB. Sorry I don't care what car and driver data say.

Quick Reply: LS460 vs S550 vs BMW 7 series