LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Blend Door Replacement - Air filter door broken

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-19, 08:46 PM
yangins
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mtrimarc
Like yoshirocks, I got lucky and my servo linkage didn't break when I replaced the cabin filter and forced the damper open, it just got "un-linked". I've posted close-ups of the linkage here:
Mine did the exact thing. Previous owner serviced at Lexus dealer only.
i was able to pull glove box and popped back in. Save a lot of money being able to diagnose and fix.
Thank the this forum.
Old 12-30-19, 06:02 AM
b9boy
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mtrimarc
Like yoshirocks, I got lucky and my servo linkage didn't break when I replaced the cabin filter and forced the damper open, it just got "un-linked". I've posted close-ups of the linkage here:
Hi - can I ask what your symptoms were please that led to you realising you need to fix the linkage etc?
Old 01-04-20, 11:38 AM
Sdriche
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

For the 2013+ ls 460 owners....I broke my own door so was forced to repair. Took about 40 mins and very doable. A few small differences from the pre 2013 ls 460s.

1. Unclip the four clips for the bottom panel as described in this thread and drop
2. Remove the One 10mm bolt on the right bottom (airbag) and TWO 10mm bolts on the left. To access the 2nd bolt you need to take off a small cover next to the center console to the left of the airbag. It pulls straight out. Removing these 3 bolts allows the airbag to be pulled out and dropped. Leave connected.
3. Open the glove box and remove 3 black screws at the top and 2 at the bottom. Pull glovebox straight out.
4. Locate the disconnected air box linkage and reconnect.

reassemble in reverse. If your glovebox doesn’t open after reassembly, you likely didn’t push the small cover on the left of the airbag all the way in.

Main symptom telling you you need to repair....temp defaults to 75 every time you start the car.
The following users liked this post:
andre2033 (05-27-23)
Old 01-05-20, 05:50 PM
RR601
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny
I never considered that when I changed my filter, so I'm puzzled why this happened to you - on a fairly simple procedure. I've had the filter out a few times since to add air freshening drops, and every time it goes back together without any hitches. Can you elaborate further on what exactly it is you did?
You just got lucky and already had it on recirculate mode.
Old 01-21-20, 09:42 AM
b9boy
Driver School Candidate

OK, so Ive finally got Techstream working and this is what I see. It was my first time using the system so sorry if I havent gone into the correct areas.

Is it maybe sounding like a CAN BUS communication problem that the left hand side of the car isnt producing hot air??

https://imgur.com/a/aruYewc

https://imgur.com/0W

Old 01-21-20, 11:55 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by b9boy
OK, so Ive finally got Techstream working and this is what I see. It was my first time using the system so sorry if I havent gone into the correct areas.

Is it maybe sounding like a CAN BUS communication problem that the left hand side of the car isnt producing hot air??

https://imgur.com/a/aruYewc

https://imgur.com/0W
If it's your first time running Techstream you should run the health in the left column so it can tell you if anything is wrong. It can take a little while to check all the systems.
Old 01-22-20, 07:47 AM
b9boy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sha4000
If it's your first time running Techstream you should run the health in the left column so it can tell you if anything is wrong. It can take a little while to check all the systems.
Hi. This is what I got when I ran the various things:

Blend Door Replacement - Air filter door broken-0w9vut5.jpg

Blend Door Replacement - Air filter door broken-iiqecfg.jpg

Blend Door Replacement - Air filter door broken-qmlbiw2.jpg

Blend Door Replacement - Air filter door broken-kw2cklo.jpg

Blend Door Replacement - Air filter door broken-wnmmbfw.jpg

Blend Door Replacement - Air filter door broken-5krukqo.jpg
Old 01-24-20, 01:42 AM
b9boy
Driver School Candidate

Is anyone able to assist in interpreting the results here?
Old 01-24-20, 03:22 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

When you run the health check does it complete the process and turn all the systems white? refresh my mind on What particular issue are you having?
Old 01-24-20, 11:11 PM
b9boy
Driver School Candidate

When I run the basic scan all operations show as yellow.

when I run a health check all areas show as white apart from the tilt and telescopic which shows orange.

when I do a communications check lots of them are red and say can bus comms error.

the problem I’m having is that one half of my car (passenger side on my RHD car), blows cold constantly regardless of requested temperature. The drivers side is fine and I can control the temperature but the passenger side will only blow cold from all vents. It’s the same in the back as the front.

ive also found out that the car will randomly decide to blow cold air in bursts through the front passenger footwell ie the vents under the glovebox will on occasion cold air, even if the vents are set to face only.

my other half will only go in the car now with a blanket wrapped around her legs!!!
Old 01-25-20, 03:40 AM
Sdriche
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

This happened to me in my es350. There are Independent servos which control the temp on either side. The es350 servos were located on the passenger side underneath the dash near the center console. If you can visually see the servos while selecting the temp, you should see them move. If one does not, you need to test for power and if yes on power, replace the servo. Some have had success taking them apart and cleaning them.
Old 01-25-20, 03:57 AM
b9boy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sdriche
This happened to me in my es350. There are Independent servos which control the temp on either side. The es350 servos were located on the passenger side underneath the dash near the center console. If you can visually see the servos while selecting the temp, you should see them move. If one does not, you need to test for power and if yes on power, replace the servo. Some have had success taking them apart and cleaning them.
Thanks for that tip! Could you see the servos without having to remove dash parts?
Old 01-26-20, 01:40 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Run the AC diagnostic test and if any servos are acting up it will display a 2 digit code on the outside temp screen. Hold the big auto button and the recirculate button while starting the car and wait for all the AC buttons to light up before releasing them and this will display the error codes. This issue could be servos but sounds a lot like a clogged heater core. It can also be a malfunctioning AC amplifier. If you pull the covers that's attached to the center console on both sides and pull back the carpet you can see most of the servos in action.
Old 01-07-21, 02:00 PM
sunny1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wanted to add to the post

Appreciate everybody’s input
i tried sugru them epoxy none worked as the door plastic was broken underneath and didn’t provide enough surface area
Finally drill and angled screw saved me thousands $$
pic attached

The following users liked this post:
BigMau (08-14-21)
Old 08-14-21, 11:41 AM
User 122922
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I did the same thing today I did forced open the housing cover and i heard it breaks, may I ask how did you get it fixed how much and is it okey to leave it like that or it will cause any problem in the future ???

Originally Posted by Geremology101
It appears that I changed my A/C filter without pushing the air recirculation button and now I have to spend $1700 fixing the blend door/ servo.

Right now nothing major is happening--only the climate control system turns itself off when I leave the car and resets to 75 every time, but will this get worse?

Are there any methods or places to go to save the $1700? Can I get this repair done at a Toyota dealership instead?

Quick Reply: Blend Door Replacement - Air filter door broken