LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 AWD Jerking on low speed

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-11, 10:01 AM
btexpress
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Edarte - did you have the transmission replaced and if so did it fix the problem?
Old 03-16-11, 10:38 AM
edarte
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by btexpress
Edarte - did you have the transmission replaced and if so did it fix the problem?
Well the repairs were planned to be completed by March 11th but the replacement transmission was damaged in transit. So the car just went in on March 11th and I expect to pick it up on March 18th. I will post the result as soon as I have had a chance to really evaluate the fix.
Old 03-16-11, 12:42 PM
edarte
Pole Position

I just got an update from my Lexus service rep and he tells me that the work is going well and he hopes to test drive it later today.

He also told me that because it is an AWD they had to remove the engine and the transmission as an assembly to remove the transmission.

Hopefully all this work will solve the problem.
Old 03-16-11, 05:19 PM
mkgupta
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by joeyb
Yes, my car is exactly the same. Only happens at about 35-40 MPH with very light touch on gas pedal. I had a tech drive it with me and he said it was OK and that it was just the transmission searching for a gear.

I don't know why this is so prominant on the AWD.

It was much worse when the car was new. I think as the transmission learns your habits, it starts to go away. I have about 9,000 miles so far, and it's still there, but hardly noticable.
i have the same issue but only when engine is cold, mine is an 08 L rear wheel dr
Old 03-21-11, 12:25 PM
edarte
Pole Position

Well I have had my AWD back for several days now after the transmission and torque converter were replaced. Unfortunately all this work has not made any difference. Even before I picked up the car my dealer rep. called to tell me that he and the mechanic did not detect any improvement in the problem. (All this work cost in excess of $12,000 - fortunately all covered by Lexus).

So it looks like the next step will be to contact Lexus engineering in Japan. Of course, given their terrible tragedy, I don't expect any solution soon.
Old 05-24-11, 04:42 PM
corvettesa
Driver School Candidate

Default hesitation @ 40MPH +/-

It appears the last post on the hesitation subject was in March 2011 shortly after “edarte” had the transmission replaced on his LS.

I am experiencing a similar problem.

After several trips to the Lexus dealer and leaving my car with the dealer for two weeks while the dealer awaited a reply from the Lexus engineers, there is still no solution.

The dealer technician compared my 2010 LS460 AWD with another 2010 LS460 AWD and two 2011 LS460 AWD. All three cars had similar symptoms.

The dealer technician was told by the Lexus engineers that they would have to research a fix may take six month or longer. The lengthy time period would be due to determining a fix, probably involving a software update that would change the car’s performance; therefore, making it necessary to get the LS460 re-certified with EPA - City and HWY mileage would change.

Are there others who been given an explanation on the above subject.

BTW, the problem seems to be only LS460 with AWD.

Last edited by corvettesa; 08-13-11 at 08:47 AM.
Old 05-30-11, 06:03 AM
btexpress
Driver School Candidate

Default Shuddering is normal according to Lexus

Corvettesa - I am sorry you are also experiencing the problem. Unfortunately Lexus is *not* going to fix the problem. They will ultimately tell you that the problem is not problem but a normal characteristic of the car and it's 8 speed transmission. What is happening is that the torque converter is trying to make up its mind whether to fully engage the gear or not. I have fought this all the way through arbitration and that is the result. You will note that edarte has had his torque converter, transmission and computers replaced with no improvement. I doubt that Lexus will ever change the programming because of the points you mention related to the EPA.

Wish there was a better answer...

btexpress

Originally Posted by corvettesa
It appears the last post on the hesitation subject was in March 2011 shortly after “edarte” had the transmission replaced on his LS.

I am experiencing a similar problem.

After several trips to the Lexus dealer and leaving my car with the dealer for two weeks while the dealer awaited a reply from the Lexus engineers.

The dealer technician compared my 2010 LS460 AWD with another 2010 LS460 AWD and two 2011 LS460 AWD. All three cars had similar symptoms.

The dealer technician was told by the Lexus engineers that they would have to research a fix may take six month or longer. The lengthy time period would be due to determining a fix, probably involving a software update that would change the car’s performance; therefore, making it necessary to get the LS460 re-certified with EPA - City and HWY mileage would change.

Are there others who been given an explanation on the above subject.

BTW, the problem seems to be only LS460 with AWD.
Old 05-30-11, 05:12 PM
MikeE12345
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Dec '10 build of a 2011 LS460 SWB AWB that I took delivery of in Feb '11.

I tried to duplicate edarte's shuddering on a fairly long uphill stretch of road. I didn't have the same problems. So far I haven't noticed any "shuddering" but on rare occasions have noticed a very slight sort of hesitation as if the transmission is trying to decide on which gear to be in; not much of an issue.
Old 06-03-11, 11:26 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts

BTEXPRESS: it's not clear: did you lose totally at arbitration?
Old 06-06-11, 04:14 AM
btexpress
Driver School Candidate

Yes I lost completely. They will not fix or replace the car. Essentially Lexus made the case that it is they way the car is designed and it can't be fixed.

Originally Posted by daryll40
BTEXPRESS: it's not clear: did you lose totally at arbitration?
Old 06-06-11, 02:39 PM
corvettesa
Driver School Candidate

Default LS 460 SWB AWD Hesitation

btexpress, thank you for your insight.

I started the process six weeks ago. It is sad to see how the dealer service personnel have been instructed to handle this situation now that I know the "defect" has existed since 2008.

They patronize the customer initially, and then when the customer persists, they admit there is a defect in the torque converter, and pass it up the line to Lexus customer service where I am now.

It will be aggravating to end up with no solution, but much more aggravating to suffer the financial loss of “Diminished Valve”. I have to believe that the Lexus Used Car Managers and the used car industry in general know about this defect and price these cars accordingly.

Ohio (and I am sure other states) has a Lemon Law - might have to detemine if there is recourse taking that route.

Last edited by corvettesa; 08-13-11 at 08:26 AM.
Old 07-14-11, 08:06 AM
corvettesa
Driver School Candidate

Default Hesitation/pulsing at 35 to 45 MPH

btexpress is correct about Lexus not admitting a transmission/torque converter defect in the LS460 AWD.

I just received my letter yesterday which states that ".... we have determined that the concerns you have reported are a normal operating characteristic of the vehicle".

It is interesting to note that the Lexus conclusion was reached after they admittedly reviewed a Lexus Dealer Invoice which states that talks with Lexus Technical Assistance requested a wire be removed from the wiring harness causing the torque converter to lock which eliminating the problem; however, they would not apply this fix???

My conclusion is that Lexus knows there is a defect, but would rather bundle all these concerns into the neatly worded phrase of "NORMAL OPERATING CHARACTERISTIC", thereby avoiding re-engineering costs and/or re-certification with EPA.

Last edited by corvettesa; 08-13-11 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-14-11, 08:15 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

I recently drove a newish LS. While I was driving, I definitely felt that shudder, but did not know it was an AWD until later, when it all came together in my mind and I felt what everyone here has been talking about.

All I will say is shame on you, Lexus. Not to add salt to the wound here, but I would not pay this price for a new car that does this. This shudder would be unacceptable in a $20k SUV, so there is no room for it in a $70k+ sedan, and it is appalling that Lexus expects you to put up with it. The IS and GS AWD models do not do this. Why should the LS?
Old 07-14-11, 10:14 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

I want my next car to be an LS460 and living in Nebraska it is better to get the AWD version; however, this issue will absolutely steer me away from the model.
Old 07-14-11, 08:13 PM
Teach
Driver School Candidate

I'm not sure if my experience is "NORMAL OPERATING CHARACTERISTIC", but with 10,000 miles on my Matador Red 2010 AWD LS 460, I have not experienced the 'shudder' that is being discussed, and I've got about 50 years of driving experience with lots of different vehicles including Audi, BMW and Caddy, so it's not like I'm a newbie that wouldn't recognize a malfunction. Hope it stays shudder free, but I will be back to let you know if that changes on my trip to Alaska and back to IL in September.

Teach

Quick Reply: LS460 AWD Jerking on low speed