LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

US perception of luxury LS vs S-Class

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-08, 02:11 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default US perception of luxury LS vs S-Class

Ok So the reason im bringin this up (and what started this whole debate) is cause my dad is gonna buy a new car, he is not much of a car guy but he loves his S-Class. Since he doesnt drive anymore, Im trying to convince him to buy the 4 seater LS, the one with retractable rear seats .(His view on the matter is that the S class is more prestigous he doesnt think Lexus has the same image as the Sclass, that and he prefers the exterior design of the S compared to the LS)

So anyway was having a debate with a buddy of mine, that in the US the LS has the perception of being more prestigious than an S class. My buddy completely disagrees.

My proof to him was in the numbers, Luxury car buyers (S, LS 7ers A8's buyers) all could afford to pay the premium than the german manufacturers charge over the LS, yet Lexus is the number one selling luxury car in the US.

What do you all think?

personally which is a more prestigeous car?

and

Whats considered more prestigious by high society in the US; the LS or S class?
Old 08-27-08, 02:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

here's what i think. you shouldn't look at the whole luxury car selling, that's very deceiving coz' large numbers are on the IS, C, and 3 series. if you want look at the S vs LS sales. i don't know which one is more though

to me both brands are prestigious, i don't see any one being more prestige than the other one. MB has longer history and a lot of loyalty to it. lexus has worked its way up hard in the psat yrs and with the ls460l, they are finally on par.

on the car, both have their goods and bads. i owned the ls460l and was tempted on getting the s550. i can give you a list of goods and bads on both. so it comes down to personal preference.

overall, i think lexus is a much better bang for the money. a lot of cool features as well. mb is a more solid feeling car, much higher price tag, but at the same time if you lease, the s class suddenly becomes an awesome deal

it's hard to say what high society in the US considers between the two. at this point i think it's very close. a lot of people still go with MB and think that's the brand for status, where lexus is just an expensive toyota. but at the same tmie obviously a lot of people have accepted lexus as a separate entity, happy with the product, and loyal to lexus now

my PERSONAL opinion? it's ok if someone chooses the S over the LS, that's totally personal and i respect that, as long as they have constructive views about the S. however if someone just come and say the S is better coz' MB is a more prestige brand over lexus, and lexus is nothing but just another toyota, and not even check out the LS, then i have zero respect

my 2 cents
Old 08-27-08, 02:37 PM
EskieFan54
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prestigeous

I have a 460L and I feel that currently the Benz has more status with the uninitiated. However their reputation for quality and reliability is erroding, (see Consumer Reports reliability ratings) I think they are beautifully engineered but I couldn't abide the problems.
I love my 460 and think that, all things considered, build quality, reliability, performance,economy,comfort,appearance,PRICE,that it could be considered the best sedan in the world!
Old 08-27-08, 02:58 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Buy him his S Class. Old farts are pretty set in their ways - regardless of what the prevailing opinion is, and will never let you forget what a bad decision you made, even for the slightest discrepancy... Take it from me, I went through the same thing with my father-in-law. Letting him control his destiny is psychologically important at this stage in his life. If something goes wrong with the S, then he can't blame you for it, and then and only then, can you gain the upper hand and influence his decision.
Old 08-27-08, 03:31 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Burnaby
Buy him his S Class. Old farts are pretty set in their ways - regardless of what the prevailing opinion is, and will never let you forget what a bad decision you made, even for the slightest discrepancy... Take it from me, I went through the same thing with my father-in-law. Letting him control his destiny is psychologically important at this stage in his life. If something goes wrong with the S, then he can't blame you for it, and then and only then, can you gain the upper hand and influence his decision.
HAHA thats true, my dads car was always in the shop for one reason or another, so bound to happen again with the new one. But nevertheless ill try. sides at the end of the day its his decision and hell buy what he wants, but i may be able to influence that decision.

Ive tried selling him the car verbally, all thats left is for me to take im on a test drive. I want him to experience the 4 seater business Lex, sit in the backseat, put his seat back,legs up, get a message, watch a movie. That car feels like ur in ur own private plane Since he doesnt drive im hoping that would be the selling pt.

We'll see, itll be interesting to see what he thinks, as he is an architect and has very fine taste in art and design. He is very unimpressed with the exterior design of the LS, he thinks it looks like any other car and its quite boring. At first glance i might have agreed with him, but once u see it a couple of times and you pay attention to the car i think the LS has a very menacing and aggressive presence on the road yet at the same time its quite elegant and understated. The however S class is very beautifully designed. It comes across sporty with elegant lines. Easily one of the best looking cars on the road.
The reason i want him to get the LS is cause interior wise i think it beats the S class in terms of gadgetry and design. Cause at the end of the day, you sit on the inside of the car and thats what should matter most.
Old 08-27-08, 03:41 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Lexus is not yet 20 years old, and yet it has become a formidable competitor to Mercedes-Benz, that says a lot about the company's record. Now, for a certain segment of the population, Mercedes-Benz will always be more prestigious and 'higher value'. That will never change for them. But for others, there is a lot of potential and Lexus has proven that in its short but illustrious history. Even the recent Luxury Institute Survey showed that American upper-class consumers now rate Lexus the #2 most prestigious luxury car brand behind Porsche; Benz is #3. Of course the longtime loyalists cry fowl.

IMO both the LS and S-Class this time around are in the top echelon of luxury flagship sedans, next the A8 and then 7-series. The LS gives more of a luxury ambience in its standard features, design, comfort, etc., while the S-Class gives a more ostentatious layout with a bit more performance. If your Dad prefers the exterior look of the S-Class, etc. then by all means let him go with his heart. But have a test-drive and see what the LS feels like too.
Old 08-27-08, 04:04 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

I don't think there's any question that the S is considered more prestigious. I think its a function of its history, price and public perception. The same reason a Rolls Royce or Bentley will be considered more prestigious than an S.

That being said, when I got my LS, a friend also got a new S. We both showed up at a large gathering of friends with our new cars. Everyone just swooned over my LS. Without exaggerating, not a single person walked over to the S.

I think its a good idea to take your Dad for a ride in the LS so he can experience it, but if he really wants the S, let him get the S. Hey, its only a car and his happiness is worth way more than a stupid car.
Old 08-27-08, 04:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Burnaby
hehe, i have to say, you hit it well!
Old 08-27-08, 05:04 PM
astrotoy
Driver

I have the 4 seater exec class 460L. You'll probably need to check around Lexus dealers since the exec is not always in stock. Normally it is a special order. It costs about the same as a S550 - MSRP in the mid 90's. The S550 doesn't have the option of anything like the right rear seat of the exec. If your dad likes to be chauffered around in style, then the back right seat of the exec class is the way to go. Make sure he tries the two different massage settings and if he isn't too tall, he can stretch out his legs and put his feet up on the ottoman. I think only the fancy Mercedes, the Maybach, that has that feature.

If he is practically minded you can show him Consumer Reports from November 2007 where they compared the two cars. Later, in their annual auto issue (April 2008), they rated the 460L at 99 (the highest rating they have ever given) and the S550 at 86.

As far as exterior appearance goes, we actually prefer that the 460L is rather inconspicuous. Even so, we've had many strangers come up to the car and admire it over the almost 11 months we've had it.
Old 08-28-08, 04:02 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
Lexus is not yet 20 years old, and yet it has become a formidable competitor to Mercedes-Benz, that says a lot about the company's record. Now, for a certain segment of the population, Mercedes-Benz will always be more prestigious and 'higher value'. That will never change for them. But for others, there is a lot of potential and Lexus has proven that in its short but illustrious history. Even the recent Luxury Institute Survey showed that American upper-class consumers now rate Lexus the #2 most prestigious luxury car brand behind Porsche; Benz is #3. Of course the longtime loyalists cry fowl.

IMO both the LS and S-Class this time around are in the top echelon of luxury flagship sedans, next the A8 and then 7-series. The LS gives more of a luxury ambience in its standard features, design, comfort, etc., while the S-Class gives a more ostentatious layout with a bit more performance. If your Dad prefers the exterior look of the S-Class, etc. then by all means let him go with his heart. But have a test-drive and see what the LS feels like too.
imho, those who have actually owned cars in this class, are widely convinced that the Lexus is as prestigious if not more than the Benz (reflected in the luxury institute survey results ?), because of their favorable impression of Lexus from actually owning them.
However, to the general population, most of which have not owned luxury cars, Benz still have the edge in prestige over Lexus ...
Old 08-28-08, 04:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
imho, those who have actually owned cars in this class, are widely convinced that the Lexus is as prestigious if not more than the Benz (reflected in the luxury institute survey results ?), because of their favorable impression of Lexus from actually owning them.
However, to the general population, most of which have not owned luxury cars, Benz still have the edge in prestige over Lexus ...
ahh...... that's a pretty good way to put it!
Old 08-28-08, 05:10 PM
cjf_moraga
Rookie

Originally Posted by ndk83
We'll see, itll be interesting to see what he thinks, as he is an architect and has very fine taste in art and design...... The reason i want him to get the LS is cause interior wise i think it beats the S class in terms of gadgetry and design. Cause at the end of the day, you sit on the inside of the car and thats what should matter most.
Actually if your father has finely tuned design sensibilities I imagine that he will much prefer the simplicity and economy of the S-Class interior - which in its general layout and driver interface characteristics feels designed and styled. (Whether you like it or not) The LS460 may feel luxurious in its materials but that is not the same as being well designed in its layout. The placement of all those buttons and gadgets does not show the same comparable thought and rigor from a design POV - a subjective opinion I know! Of course one might argue that the S-Class may be over designed.

In general though I would say that the S-Class is perceived as the more prestigious vehicle - even if only because in any debate of this type its position is never questioned by anyone ...but the LS460's (and Lexus) stature still occasionally is. (Though undeserved)

Chris

Last edited by cjf_moraga; 08-28-08 at 05:17 PM.
Old 08-28-08, 08:33 PM
LS600guy
Rookie

I like the 'old fart' term. It smacks of older monied folk who live in a past generation of remembered opulence. Their homes are antique-filled, leather-couched, walnut-panelled, libraried, chandaliered and gloomy, with long hallways and persian rugs in every room.

Look at Ralph Lauren - he is the epitomy of the English upper class style with his classic car collection and grand ivy covered mansions.

But I doubt he would be driving a Lexus - it just doesn't fit the mold. His cars are Ferraris, Mercedes and the odd Veyron. If someone is living that lifestyle, it is very unlikely they will turn to them newfangled Japanese one-car wonders

I've got the best of both worlds. I might be termed an old fart, but I enjoy the top of both brands - Mercedes and Lexus - for different reasons.

A leopard rarely changes its spots. Your dad won't like the Lexus.

--------------------------
2007 LS600hL, 5 seat
2000 LX470 (traded)

Mercedes SL500 AMG (sun)
Mercedes SLK 230 (wife)
Suzuki Grand Vitara (rain & runaround)
Old 08-29-08, 01:14 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

No we wont like a lexus, i think you all hit the nail on the head. My dad went ahead and pulled a trigger on the S, without even checking out the LS i might add. Mercedes has too much history and race pedigree to be outshined by the Lex in his world, event hough as lexus owners we are all very impressed with our cars, its hard to convince the old money farts. LS600guy post rand the most true, cause he got my dad spot on (well, sans the antiuqed filled and gloomy long hallways) It was very unlikely that he would turn to " newfangled japanese one car wonders" lol and he didnt, and i repeat didnt even consider it. In a way im happy, cause the S is a beautiful car and all and i can wait to drive it, but i would have much prefered to have seen him rollin aroundin in the back of a lex with his feet up.

sad part is, the S is gonna undergo a facelift for 2010 so he'll be missin out on that too I think!! (actually i should ask him, maybe hell order one of those)
Old 08-29-08, 07:13 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by ndk83
sad part is, the S is gonna undergo a facelift for 2010 so he'll be missin out on that too I think!! (actually i should ask him, maybe hell order one of those)
New nose look fugly from the "spy shots"

Quick Reply: US perception of luxury LS vs S-Class