LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Touring Package Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-07, 06:58 PM
LexFan87
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Touring Package Question

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forums here and I got a question to start off.

I'm considering whether to buy the LS 460 or the LS 460 L.

The LS 460 has plenty of room but my main concern is the touring package which only comes in the L version.

Does the air suspension make much of a difference in handling or is it a gimmick?

Thanks.
Old 08-08-07, 08:27 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Welcome to Club Lexus, LexFan87!

We have a few Touring LS 460 L members on here recently, but as in previous models the air suspension is somewhat rare in the U.S.

I have yet to test drive the touring model but Edmunds' review seemed to indicate that the air suspension did help:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=119408

At higher speeds, the LS 460 L feels a touch sportier, as its steering firms up while the adaptive shocks keep its body impressively level through turns. The suspension offers Normal, Comfort and Sport modes, but the differences are slight aside from subtly tighter rebound damping in Sport. The ride motions are beautifully controlled in any mode, even at triple-digit velocity.
I think it boils down to how much road feel/performance you want out of the car. If you have a chance to test drive the models that might be best. Taste of Lexus in SoCal is having a session as well later this month.

Good luck with your purchasing decision!
Old 08-08-07, 10:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

air suspension makes huge difference in the ride. it's much smoother and softer (in a good way). personally i wouldn't go without it
Old 08-08-07, 10:30 PM
LexFan87
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the responses guys.

The dealerships here, the San Francisco Bay Area, have a bunch of touring package equipped LS 460s but I couldn't really tell the difference in ride. I'll be going to the Taste of Lexus Event here in Alameda this Saturday so I'll put the car through a very thorough/extreme test on the course there.
Old 08-08-07, 10:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

really? have you tried to go through those very uneven roads? that's where i felt the biggest difference. on smoother roads they are very close i say

they do have ls460 and ls460l at the TOL event, go there early if you plan to drive different flavors. i am not sure if they have touring package there though, which might give you wrong feeling about handling.

plus, personally i am not sure if TOL event is the best to test difference between normal suspension and air
Old 08-09-07, 05:35 AM
garyr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you did not feel a difference than don't get it. It's a high priced option. In my case I came out of BMW's 7 and the stock Lex did not come close to the ride or handling.

All the tests I've read knocked the LS in brakes and handling. The touring package gives you, larger tires, bigger rotors and calipers and high performance ceramic brakes and 3 way adjustable suspension for sport or just cruising.

Their is a huge difference to me in the touring package, thats why I bought it. You can't get some of the options available in the stock cars like rear air conditioning but you do get a larger truck.

The touring package is really for just the opposite meaning, It's for high performance driving. I think all the LS should come with this option standard but I guess lex needs to keep the price down compared to other models in it's class.
Old 08-09-07, 08:56 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by garyr
If you did not feel a difference than don't get it. It's a high priced option. In my case I came out of BMW's 7 and the stock Lex did not come close to the ride or handling.

All the tests I've read knocked the LS in brakes and handling. The touring package gives you, larger tires, bigger rotors and calipers and high performance ceramic brakes and 3 way adjustable suspension for sport or just cruising.

Their is a huge difference to me in the touring package, thats why I bought it. You can't get some of the options available in the stock cars like rear air conditioning but you do get a larger truck.

The touring package is really for just the opposite meaning, It's for high performance driving. I think all the LS should come with this option standard but I guess lex needs to keep the price down compared to other models in it's class.
hehe, we are on the same page. i also wish the touring is more like standard at least make it available with the rear seat upgrade!
Old 08-09-07, 09:19 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
hehe, we are on the same page. i also wish the touring is more like standard at least make it available with the rear seat upgrade!
Lexus assumes that if the owner wants the Touring Package, he/she will be driving the car themselves, so they don't care much for the rear seat passengers
Old 08-09-07, 09:21 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Robarapta
Lexus assumes that if the owner wants the Touring Package, he/she will be driving the car themselves, so they don't care much for the rear seat passengers
lol, i guess then put that damn package on swb as well then!!!!

just messing. bottom line is i think it's a pretty silly setup from lexus. and we all know that in japan you can get all these combos....
Old 08-09-07, 09:22 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

BTW, even the non-Touring models have very good brakes, stopping distance comparable to a C6 Z06 corvette (in Autoweek review of the production non-Touring LS460L). The reviews with the poor braking distances are preproduction cars with crappy tires.
Old 08-09-07, 09:43 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

lol, i guess then put that damn package on swb as well then!!!!

just messing. bottom line is i think it's a pretty silly setup from lexus. and we all know that in japan you can get all these combos....
I think the European LS460 (no L version available to them) have the equivalent of the Touring Package as standard, they should make the Touring available for the SWB at least as an option here.
Old 08-09-07, 02:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

I think the European LS460 (no L version available to them) have the equivalent of the Touring Package as standard, they should make the Touring available for the SWB at least as an option here.
agree, basically the way they do it now where the touring is almost like a standalone setup for one wheel base, that's just way too limiting

BTW, even the non-Touring models have very good brakes, stopping distance comparable to a C6 Z06 corvette (in Autoweek review of the production non-Touring LS460L). The reviews with the poor braking distances are preproduction cars with crappy tires.
that might explain the not so impressive braking i experienced at the TOL event. when i did panic braking from ~60mph, i did started to hear tire squeal pretty soon. it would be really interesting to see more real world testing with better, more capable tires
Old 08-09-07, 06:31 PM
asolare
Driver School Candidate

air suspension makes huge difference in the ride. it's much smoother and softer (in a good way). personally i wouldn't go without it
I thought the purpose of the air suspension was to add the option of a sport mode to reduce sway on turns etc. Are you saying that a vehicle with the air suspension on the standard setting makes the ride smoother than a vehicle without this option? I had thought the standard setting on the air suspension was equivalent to the regular suspension on cars wothout this option.

By the way, I have a 2004 LS430 with the air suspension and feel just a little difference between the sport and standard modes.
Old 08-09-07, 06:45 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

The LS460L air suspension has 3 modes : sport, standard & comfort.
Old 08-09-07, 07:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

to be honest, i tried the 3 settings on the air suspension and i couldn't feel too much of a difference. so i basically just kept it in standard most of the time for comparison. and to me i felt some difference with the normal springs/shocks setup

Quick Reply: Touring Package Question