LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Wind noise update (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-07, 01:22 PM
garyr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Again this problem is not just the SWB but all models. I have a LWB and it's very bad. That leads me to believe Lex needs to redesign the door molding or series of moldings

Funny thing is I was looking at the top edge of the door glass and it has a vee shape on the top of the glass not a nice rounded edge. You can see the 2 pieces of glass laminated together.

Again I think the fix would have to be a molding. The SWB probably has thicker glass or the same size as the LWB just not laminated because they are 2 very thin pieces glued together. I'm surprised the dealers are changing them out.

At any rate this needs to be fixed soon, I really can't stand driving around in a car that the window seems to be open. Even at a stop noises outside the car are louder than they should be. It's clearly not sealing all the way and a newly designed window seal should fix it, at least thats what I would focus on being and ex-mechanic.

Some things don't bother me about the car like the lag from a dead stop to hard acceleration and somethings really do like this wind noise. If Lexus does not come out with a fix in a month I will sell this car and make sure I tell everyone about my experience.
Old 06-20-07, 01:27 PM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe this is part of the reason for the delay of the LS600hL.

HBH
Old 06-21-07, 07:01 AM
garyr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Helmar, You are most likely absolutely correct.

I was thinking that maybe the window regulator is stopping just 1-2mm short of sealing the window glass.

For me, after seeing all the complaints, having one of my own and than calling the dealer and than Lex for them to both tell me they know nothing about it just puts a bad taste in my mouth. I'm having to rely on other members for information to fix my car. Just never though I would be experiencing this from Lexus. I guess you can't be on top forever.
Old 06-21-07, 07:40 AM
sidgriggs
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took delivery of a swb model last week. The car was built May, 2007. Had it up to 85mph yesterday--no wind noise! Zero! Great car.
Old 06-21-07, 09:03 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by garyr
Helmar, You are most likely absolutely correct.

I was thinking that maybe the window regulator is stopping just 1-2mm short of sealing the window glass.

For me, after seeing all the complaints, having one of my own and than calling the dealer and than Lex for them to both tell me they know nothing about it just puts a bad taste in my mouth. I'm having to rely on other members for information to fix my car. Just never though I would be experiencing this from Lexus. I guess you can't be on top forever.
on the lwb i wonder if it's independent cases or on most cars? so far i have sat and driven 2-3 ls460l and i didn't notice any road noise (or wind noise) even at high speed. but seems like you guys are experiencing significant noise
Old 06-23-07, 07:17 PM
HiltonHead
Driver School Candidate

My 460L definitely has wind noise at highway speeds. As I'm always the driver, I can only confirm that it is on the driver's side. It is really noticeable when the car is heading into a headwind.

I would be interested to know if the passenger side is the same. My guess would be yes.
Old 06-23-07, 08:40 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

I took delivery of a swb model last week. The car was built May, 2007. Had it up to 85mph yesterday--no wind noise! Zero! Great car.
Same here.
Old 06-24-07, 09:50 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I have only been in the passenger seat once while the tech was driving my car. I did not notice any wind noise on the passenger side front window in my car. I do have the wind noise on the drivers side window. I'm going to have both windows replaced...

Craig
Old 06-24-07, 09:32 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

i spoke to my service advisor, and I was advised that no TSB currently exists, so i could not get the fix done.

Last edited by joedaddy1; 06-24-07 at 09:36 PM.
Old 06-28-07, 11:51 AM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

EDIT: Transferring this post to this thread in trying to keep things in one place only.

Originally Posted by dmvp29
Before you went to the service, did you have any transmission problems? If so, could you briefly describe the problems you had?

And, which of the transmission problems were resolved by your software upgrade?

Thanks.
There was one (and only one) instance when after 15 long minutes of stop-and-go traffic the car felt like it was running in just 2 cylinders, and I knew that was some transmission hickup. It felt like the car was in ECT Snow mode, but it wasn't. No big deal, because after a few miles of normal rolling traffic everything went back to normal. Also, the hickup from a dead stop was starting to get to my nerves, so I pointed that out at the dealer and they upgraded the software.

It will take 2 full tanks of gas for me to notice any difference, but I can tell it shifts on little higher rpms which is good, it feels even smoother.

It's important to note that on the service invoice it was written that "car has a system to disingage transmission torque converter when stopped for an extended period of time. System is operating within range". Even so, the software upgrade was done, and it's TSIB #TC004-07. This means "updated files for ECT ECU".

One thing I can tell: after the upgrade, the screen turns to the map faster right after I press the "I agree" button. It used to be a somewhat slow transition, now it's instant.

I'll post updates on the transmission after I burn two tanks of gas.

Another EDIT: The wind noise does have a fix by Lexus, I received a call from the tech with a scheduled date for the fix - mid July. It does involve changing the glass.
Old 07-03-07, 01:52 PM
Mallory H.
Driver

[QUOTE=Mallory H.;2691396]Gary,
I understand how you feel and what you are saying about the events of the 70's and 80's is so true. I left cadillac in 2002 because I was tired of hearing oh, that is normal or customer service giving you the run around.
I traded my Cadillac for a 2002 Q45 and sales and service was just great.
I traded the Q45 for a 2005 LS430 and saw a decline from the sales and service I was a custom to at Infiniti. Despite poor sales and service I returned to my Lexus dealer and purchased the LS460 in that I did not have allot of issues with my LS430 I felt comfortable with my purchase of the first year model LS460.
Old 07-03-07, 02:58 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Moderator note: threads merged

I have merged the 1-page "Wind noise the sequel" into this thread, as it was a continuation of the discussion regarding wind noise and the ongoing attempt to resolve this issue.

Let's try to keep the wind noise discussion in key threads so that it's easier to collect and discuss all the information. Speaking of which:

The following thread, "Wind noise fix," is the most up-to-date discussion regarding ongoing remedy efforts.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=295429
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=290201

Please discuss your experiences with the repair kits, etc. there. Thank you.

Last edited by encore888; 07-23-07 at 11:05 PM.