LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Wind Noise 460 (Not 460L) in Windows

Old 03-13-07, 11:43 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI, I"m not sure the ISX50's are wind noise exempt. I've got problems on the passenger side. Just hate to have them start tearing stuff apart and make matters worse.

I may just suck it up for a while.
feather3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There had better be a bulletin put out on this...some other posters said its from the mirror not door seals..but i heard it live and in color when i test drove it..was so angry i went back to my second choice an a8l to test drive and found it quieter. now i am debating what to do....
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts
Default wind noise from mirror and window trim

I found out they tried to seal off the mirror as well as to tighten the window trim to get a tighter seal against the window . It's better than it was, but I continue to have wind noise. This was the field fix. Lexus is aware of the problem and are woiking on a service bulletin. I don't have the brake noise someone else posted about. You would have thought Lexus would have known about this problem before going into production. This is their flag ship vehicle.
This is my 5th Lexus vehicle. I think it's the best one I've owned, but I'm not happy with this wind noise. My LS 430 did not have wind noise...

Craig
Old 03-13-07, 12:17 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig B
I found out they tried to seal off the mirror as well as to tighten the window trim to get a tighter seal against the window . It's better than it was, but I continue to have wind noise. This was the field fix. Lexus is aware of the problem and are woiking on a service bulletin. I don't have the brake noise someone else posted about. You would have thought Lexus would have known about this problem before going into production. This is their flag ship vehicle.
This is my 5th Lexus vehicle. I think it's the best one I've owned, but I'm not happy with this wind noise. My LS 430 did not have wind noise...

Craig
As Wanderer pointed out per ES350 owners, we have been waiting for even an acknowledgement that wind noise is a problem rather than have it renamed buffeting and being told it is normal as countless have. They will not state it is a problem, and in order for there to be a TSIB they have to first do that which seems unlikely for ES owners with this issue. I hope for better results for LS owners with this.
Old 03-13-07, 04:36 PM
Lex460
Driver School Candidate

Flag ship @ 70K should be perfect. period.
Old 03-13-07, 05:52 PM
Rocman
Pole Position

I have no noise to report on mine. As stated before, it appears that the LWB does not have this issue. Since mine is a LWB, I can confirm that I do not have it. I hope this is fixed soon for you guys.
Old 11-10-12, 09:12 PM
johnsonhua
Driver School Candidate

Check this link see is work. good luck!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...noise-fix.html
Old 01-23-14, 12:05 AM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Ls 460 wind noise

It's fixable . Go order the new 21013 LS side mirror wind deflectors and just stick them on in under 10 mins . No sealant required and the noise disappears . I swear the car steers a lot better particularly at speed .
My LS 460 is tomb like silent now ! Fantastic
Old 01-24-14, 05:02 AM
philj
Driver

Originally Posted by Lex460
I have the same problem and brought the car back to the dealer.

It's a little bit better, but the noise is still there.

I'm not happy and very upset by the dealer's work and answers:
They adjusted the window strip.
and told me : due to the "aerodynamic design" of the vehicule, air flow is close to the surface of the body and creates a "normal" "buffeting" noise!

Come on Lexus! You don't test your cars before putting them on the market!

The brake squeal is "normal" too if listening to their bull... It's due to the semi-metallic content of "modern" brake pad material, frequency and duration of the noise will vary according to outside temperature, humidity, and personal driving habits...as well as Lexus hability to NOT test their cars long enough before they reach dealerships showrooms!

Come on Lexus! This is a $70K car and it's your Flagship.

It should be perfect and I cannot accept blablabla regarding the 1st year model.

So, I called Lexus Customer Service and complained.
I will get these 2 issues resolved. If not fixed quickly, I'm decided to apply for the lemon law.
This is really unacceptable for a LS 460.
My 09 had wind noise. they tried to fix it and they did to some extent. I decided that I could live with the noise because overall the car was a net plus.

Someone suggested that you buy a 2013 mirror. I can tell you my 2013 has no wind noise.

As for the brake squeal I am going to try and research this issue this weekend and I will make a post. My brakes squeal and I hate it. My service adviser told me it is normal. I agree that this is the wrong answer but as that is the only problem I have I am going to fix it myself because I would rater fix it than fight with Lexus.

You could do the lemon law thing but changing the mirror and (I hope) the brake pads will be less time consuming for you and in the end you will have a great car.

good luck and watch for my brake research.
Old 01-24-14, 06:41 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by philj
My 09 had wind noise. they tried to fix it and they did to some extent. I decided that I could live with the noise because overall the car was a net plus.

Someone suggested that you buy a 2013 mirror. I can tell you my 2013 has no wind noise.

As for the brake squeal I am going to try and research this issue this weekend and I will make a post. My brakes squeal and I hate it. My service adviser told me it is normal. I agree that this is the wrong answer but as that is the only problem I have I am going to fix it myself because I would rater fix it than fight with Lexus.

You could do the lemon law thing but changing the mirror and (I hope) the brake pads will be less time consuming for you and in the end you will have a great car.

good luck and watch for my brake research.
You are quoting a post that is 7 years old - post is dated 03/07/2007. There was some suspicion that the "Wind Noise" that many '07 and '08 owners were experiencing was related to the mirrors. The mirrors being a cause of wind noise problems has been discounted long ago. The mirrors have never been a cause of wind noise. LS wind noise reports were extensive for the '07 and '08 models but there were many reports of cars of that period with no wind noise. Wind noise reports were less frequent with the '09 and '10 models and practically nonexistent for the '11 and '12 models, before the addition of the "fin" on the trim. The addition of a "fin" will not cure a nonexistent problem. Most of the wind noise problems in the earlier models, including the LS460Ls and LS600s, was related to the trim at the corner of the windows in the front doors. It was a problem that could be easily repaired and has never been acknowledged or addressed by Lexus.

There is more information about the wind noise problem here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...noise-fix.html

There are many ways of dealing with the trim defect that range from replacing the trim, to sealing with silicone sealant to applying several pieces of Duct Tape.
Old 01-24-14, 06:48 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Holy! Talk about reviving an OOOLLLLDDDD thread.......
Old 01-24-14, 08:55 AM
Greezy
Rookie

I've been trying to tell if my car (08 LS SWB) needs the infamous wind noise fix. I see so many people on the forums with this problem that it makes me paranoid that I might have it. Let's say you do have the wind noise issue.. How obvious is it? Would I blatantly know? I try driving fast on a smooth road with all the windows closed and no music on to test to see there's any wind noise, but for the most part its kinda quiet.. except I hear a little wind outside especially on windy days, but not enough that it sounds like something is open..How quiet should it be?..should I do the fix just for good measure?
Old 02-16-14, 03:21 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 2009 LS-460 and the left driver's window has wind noise that drives me CRAZY. Not HALF the car the LS-430 was. You'd think they would have it fixed by 2009.