LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Unusual problem...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-06, 04:25 PM
brt3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unusual problem...

I've found an interesting problem with our LS460L. Let's say you begin to shift from Park to Drive -- and suddenly remember you need to grab your FastPass from the glovebox. If you've moved the lever even a fraction out of Park -- but then return it to Park without shifting to Drive -- the car gets a bit confused. If you now go back to Drive the car won't move because the Automatic Parking Brake won't release. You have to cycle the button on and off to have it release. The Automatic Folding Mirrors have a similar issue.

Also, if you take the car out of Park the Automatic Parking Brake will release -- even if the motor is NOT running! I was working on the car in our garage, and wanted to see if I could remove the ashtray for more storage. To do that you have to move the gear lever. With the ignition in the Accessory position, you can now move the lever back to Drive to remove the ashtray. Once I did this the car began to roll backwards ever-so-slowly -- I wasn't even aware of the movement. Luckily, there was no damage to either the car or the garage door...

Finally, there is a significant omission on the car -- each outboard seat has a seat memory EXCEPT the front passenger seat! Since I'm quite tall, it's really a pain to have to relocate the seat anytime I sit on the right...
Old 11-08-06, 05:59 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In terms of the Automatic Parking Brake and the shifting, I remember the Lexus tech that demonstrated the car for me mentioned something about having to press the button again or something to 'reset' it if you did something unusual...this is the first implementation of the technology, maybe they haven't figured out everything perfectly yet. It's good to be careful!

Also, there has been this ongoing discussion on this board about the absence of front passenger seat memory going back to the first LS, up to the LS 430, and now LS 460. It's very strange as the ES/IS/GS/SC etc all have it, IIRC, while the LS has it for 3/4 seats. CL members asked Lexus product techs and so far have gotten very strange reasons, mainly something to do with the typical 'boss' that sits in an LS (may be some Japanese custom).

Some quirks of the car it seems!!! Hopefully you will be able to adjust to these less-than-perfect characteristics--and be sure to mention them when the Lexus customer surveys, etc. come in the mail and online! Maybe eventually they will address them.
Old 11-08-06, 07:03 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 126 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by brt3
I've found an interesting problem with our LS460L. Let's say you begin to shift from Park to Drive -- and suddenly remember you need to grab your FastPass from the glovebox. If you've moved the lever even a fraction out of Park -- but then return it to Park without shifting to Drive -- the car gets a bit confused. If you now go back to Drive the car won't move because the Automatic Parking Brake won't release. You have to cycle the button on and off to have it release. The Automatic Folding Mirrors have a similar issue.

Also, if you take the car out of Park the Automatic Parking Brake will release -- even if the motor is NOT running! I was working on the car in our garage, and wanted to see if I could remove the ashtray for more storage. To do that you have to move the gear lever. With the ignition in the Accessory position, you can now move the lever back to Drive to remove the ashtray. Once I did this the car began to roll backwards ever-so-slowly -- I wasn't even aware of the movement. Luckily, there was no damage to either the car or the garage door...

Finally, there is a significant omission on the car -- each outboard seat has a seat memory EXCEPT the front passenger seat! Since I'm quite tall, it's really a pain to have to relocate the seat anytime I sit on the right...
i understand why it needs to reset - it doesnt know what you are trying to do. I understand why it releases the brake once our of P - imagine having to tow the car or push it for whatever reason.

I certainly dont understand the front passenger seat though...
Old 11-08-06, 07:05 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 126 Likes on 96 Posts

p.s. i understand that in japan, you might be driven in it, but in Europe, I would be driving it!
Old 11-09-06, 09:58 AM
brt3
Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
p.s. i understand that in japan, you might be driven in it, but in Europe, I would be driving it!
Lucky wife, huh? I, on the other hand, have to rough it in my E55 wagon. Our life is a living hell...
Old 11-09-06, 10:02 AM
brt3
Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
i understand why it needs to reset - it doesnt know what you are trying to do. I understand why it releases the brake once our of P - imagine having to tow the car or push it for whatever reason.

I certainly dont understand the front passenger seat though...
Well, though it may be confused you should see how long it takes to get the car to work when you're unsure what's happening. Once confused it will NOT release the Parking brake under any circumstances; the only way to get the car to drive is to cycle the button.

Not sure I agree with you about towing; if you are going to tow the car it's plenty easy to turn the switch to OFF. It seems like -- for normal consumer use -- that if the Park brake is switched ON it should stay ON until the engine is running.