LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 Price Negotiating

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-06, 03:07 PM
Ex-Lexic
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS460 Price Negotiating

I put a deposit down on a Lexus LS460 today, and the salesman said there would be no discounts because he figured by the time the first month of delivery came around this dealer would have about 6 months of orders. No reason for them to offer discounts.

Is this what you experienced Lexus buyers would expect? Not discounting is one thing, but premium pricing is another. Would you expect any premiums over and above MSRP to be attempted by dealers on the LS460 during the early months of showroom selling?
Old 04-14-06, 05:30 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Generally with any new model, especially one that is just going to be released, Lexus and Toyota vehicles have historically only been sold at MSRP for the first few months of the sale. No dealer mark ups are allowed unless the dealer has added their own items i.e. aftermarket accessories or parts to the car.
Old 04-14-06, 06:06 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Most cars in the first three months will sell at MSRP. In fact, there are some places that will not budge on the MSRP price for over 6 months, especially in the Midwest where a Lexus dealership is rare. What you have to watch out for are dealers that add chrome wheels or tint/clear bra and charge an extra $5k.

If in doubt, check out their current lot and see if they are doing that type of thing. If you see the new gen GS or IS with tint and chrome wheel upgrades with an extra charge, your dealer might do that with the LS.
Old 04-14-06, 06:55 PM
Ex-Lexic
Driver

Thanks for the heads up on those expensive dealer extras. I will keep an eye out for them and discuss them with my salesman next oppertunity.
Old 04-14-06, 11:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

correct, especially on the new ls460, i think for the first 3 to 6 months you won't see anything less than msrp. like flipside said, just watch out and talk to them and make sure they do't add anything (tinted windows, chrome wheels,etc.... ) and charge you 5000 bucks for thsoe dealer options

otherwise, pay what's on the sticker and you are good to go

btw, welcome to clublexus!
Old 04-15-06, 06:38 AM
Ex-Lexic
Driver

Thanks for the welcome, rominl. I have had BMWs in recent years and frequented their forums. It looks like I'm going back to Lexus' this fall with the LS460, and maybe even the LS600h after that. I expect to learn a lot from you guys...already have, just by reading. I have owned an SC400 and a RX300 in the past and liked them both. I'm trying to get some guys to go to the Atlanta Auto Show later in the month. I'll take pictures... Seems like everybody can't get enough pictures. LOL
Old 04-15-06, 02:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Ex-Lexic
Thanks for the welcome, rominl. I have had BMWs in recent years and frequented their forums. It looks like I'm going back to Lexus' this fall with the LS460, and maybe even the LS600h after that. I expect to learn a lot from you guys...already have, just by reading. I have owned an SC400 and a RX300 in the past and liked them both. I'm trying to get some guys to go to the Atlanta Auto Show later in the month. I'll take pictures... Seems like everybody can't get enough pictures. LOL
definitely stick around. i think we have some very cool people and i am sure you will learn a lot from them. i know i am learning something new every day
Old 04-15-06, 03:34 PM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Shop around. It all depends on your location. In So Cal you will be able to get one below MSRP, no doubt. All dealers talk about the huge demand and lack of inventory- makes you feel really lucky if they sell you one at all, but when you get down to it they usually sell at below MSRP. Those stupid mark up stickers on the window are worthless- ignore them. Sales people say LOTS of things before you actually get down to signing the papers, all the talk about prices is worthless until you are ready to write that "real"check, not a deposit.
Old 04-18-06, 07:17 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I must disagree... you will pay sticker, and it's worth it! Don't make yourself look stupid buy going to different dealerships and trying to negotiate off the MSRP of the 2007 LS460. Salespeople will laugh at you. Just be happy you are one of the first ones, to own one of the hottest cars on the market.
Old 05-04-06, 03:15 PM
Big Jimm
Pole Position

Speaking of paying OVER MSRP, I have a new Corvette and I can tell you that the vette's a car where Chevy dealers REALLY play games with the MSRP! ("Market Adjustment" they call it!)

Especially the ZO6 .. some dealers were/are asking 100,000 for them. MSRP is about 68,000. The vette market is really an "every man for himself" market. I hope Lexus dealers don't go that crazy.

Big Jimm
So. Fla.

Last edited by Big Jimm; 05-05-06 at 12:08 AM.
Old 05-05-06, 12:06 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Big Jimm
Speaking of paying OVER MSRP, I have a new Corvette and I can tell you that the vette's a car where Chevy dealers REALLY play games with the MSRP! (Market Adjustment!)

Especially the ZO6 .. some dealers were/are asking 100,000 for them. MSRP is about 68,000. That's really an "every man for himself" market. I hope Lexus dealers don't go that crazy.

Big Jimm
So. Fla.
well like mentioned before they can't just jack up the price, otherwise it's against company rules

but they can have a 2000 bucks windows tint and 4000 bucks chessy chrome wheels. whether the buyer falls for them that's anther story
Old 05-05-06, 09:41 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Ex-Lexic
Welcome back. I should be at the auto show today
Old 05-05-06, 10:50 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
but they can have a 2000 bucks windows tint and 4000 bucks chessy chrome wheels.
You mean that's not a good deal???
Old 05-05-06, 03:46 PM
Big Jimm
Pole Position

I visited So. Florida’s “big” dealership today and I can tell you that just by looking at their existing inventory, they have ridiculous dealer add-ons at crazy prices! On their EXISTING inventory! So, if they're doing it on current inventory, what do you think they will do with new "scarce" models?

I couldn’t believe it! One car had 6,000 for “Body Moulding!” (That’s the tinny “skirt” that goes around the bottom.) I thought it looked honky-tonk. Even the screws showed, big time, on the inside of the fenders where they attached it. And the white paint didn’t even match. And, of course that car had the 4,000 chrome wheels, tinted glass, 295 pin stripes, etc, etc, etc.

The salesman started on me about their taking deposits and explained what a huge waiting list they’re going to have after October .. “probably many months.” I told him that if that’s the case then I’ll have to change my mind and buy something else. He further told me that they expect a “substantial” price bump from the 430 to the 460. (Not a heartening conversation here.)

So, the handwriting is on the wall: they are DEFINITELY going to triple load the LS460’s with unwanted, high cost, exorbitant profit, dealer junk in the beginning .. wherein we can take it or leave it.

I suppose we can’t blame the dealers. They want to make as much money as they can. But, why disguise it? Why not just be honest and add 10,000 over MSRP like Chevy dealers do on Corvettes and be done with it? They’re not kidding anyone.

But, maybe all dealers won’t be the same. And, maybe initial Lexus production will be high. We can cross our fingers.

Big Jimm
So. Fla.
Old 05-05-06, 04:02 PM
Ex-Lexic
Driver

Do you guys & gals that know your way around Lexus know of where someone like Big Jimm can eamil or call to complain about the practices he documented above? How stupid do they think we are? Or maybe they sell a lot on the phony markup basis, and we ARE as stupid as they think we are. In any case, does Lexus corporate condone these practices? Grrrrrrrrrr.

Quick Reply: LS460 Price Negotiating