LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

How to power 2010+ head unit off the car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-23, 09:16 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 862 Likes on 634 Posts
Default How to power 2010+ head unit off the car?

I need to power the head unit off the car. I know it is possible because you can see it in Ebay postings. My understanding the unit, at least, needs B+ (from the battery), ACC (accessory), IGN (IGN) + GRN (ground). Has anybody done that? Please, share.
Old 09-16-23, 09:26 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,212 Likes on 959 Posts

I wonder if United Radio would provide you with this info. If you're wanting to "test it before sending it in", they may help you. Can't hurt to ask. It's not uncommon for wire colors to change every year, making it harder to find a member with the exact info you need.
Old 09-16-23, 10:34 AM
Gerf
Racer

Received 698 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by Anfanger
I need to power the head unit off the car. I know it is possible because you can see it in Ebay postings. My understanding the unit, at least, needs B+ (from the battery), ACC (accessory), IGN (IGN) + GRN (ground). Has anybody done that? Please, share.
I haven't done it but is there some reason you can't find those powered pins before you remove the radio from the car and ground wire with a continuity test ? the radio doesn't know the difference between B+ and ACC/IGN
Old 09-16-23, 10:45 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

It does, B+ is always on, ACC is on only when the key is "turned" to ACC.
Old 09-16-23, 12:05 PM
Gerf
Racer

Received 698 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by Anfanger
It does, B+ is always on, ACC is on only when the key is "turned" to ACC.
No, they both supply 12v, the other circuits (mostly) don't receive 12v when it's in ACC to conserve power.You need constant 12v for some functions in the radio/nav but it is just a different input. If you are bench testing something it probably be a power supply or a battery, where will you get ACC? You could split a positive signal from a battery 3 ways and disconnect whichever one you don't need for whatever you're testing for, the radio doesn't know where the power is coming from.
Old 09-16-23, 12:11 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

What I said is correct. You can check the manual yourself, L59-1 and L59-2 with respect to L59-10.
Old 09-16-23, 01:40 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

I pulled out my navigation hard drive and its a 40GB model unlike 2007-09 where 30GB hard drive is used.
The following users liked this post:
swfla (09-16-23)
Old 09-16-23, 03:18 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

I have found a working ATA password but after unlocking the drive Linux Mint can't load partition table. I believe, it is due to ATA device priority.
Old 09-16-23, 03:26 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

I give you credit for trying this. My recollection of past posts is the general belief that what you've run into is an issue. Hope someone can give you a solution.
Old 09-16-23, 05:08 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

With help from Boykie, I got Linux to recognize the drive. It is cloning right now, after it is done, I will try to squeeze 40GB image into 30GB SSD.
The following 3 users liked this post by Anfanger:
Boykie (09-16-23), Protholl (09-17-23), swfla (09-16-23)
Old 09-16-23, 10:01 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

I was able to shrink .img file from 40GB to 30 GB, however, drive labels got changes and by some reason cannot be reassigned. At this point, the unit greats me with "A program cannot be read...". I will try pre-setting ATA password and a conventional hard drive tomorrow.
Old 09-16-23, 10:26 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

I'm hoping you find the way. I think a few others would want to do this.
Old 09-17-23, 01:11 AM
cryptodonis
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts

Here's a bunch of info I've collected on the topic, maybe something will help:

So...I have discovered a method to mount and back up the data on your radio's hard drive.It isn't easy, and it isn't pretty, but it is possible.

Here's the logic:

The radio knows the passcode to unlock the drive. It must send this to the drive every time the drive powers up; that's how ATA Lock works.

Hypothesis:

Leaving the drive powered on while you disconnect it from the radio and connect it to a computer should allow the drive to be mounted and read.

Hypothesis test results: SUCCESS!!

Need:

2x SATA Extension cables
1x usb3 sata drive adapter
Computer running drive imaging software (AOMEI Backupper Standard works great on Windows to create a whole drive image)

How:

Remove Radio
Remove bracket covering Drive
Remove Drive
Install sata extension cable 1 inside Radio
Install sata extension cable 2 on usb3 sata adapter
Connect power cable from sata extension 2 to drive
Connect sata cable from sata extension 1 to drive
Turn on usb3 sata adapter to supply power to the drive
Turn on car to acc mode
Wait ten seconds for Radio to boot fully
Remove sata cable from drive (leave power connected)
Connect sata cable from usb3 sata adapter to drive
Connect usb3 sata adapter usb cable to computer
Drive partitions should be seen by Windows
Optional: turn off car
Use drive imaging software to back up drive image
Use that image file and the imaging software to restore backup, perhaps to SSD (not yet tested)

Drive Info:

Toshiba MK1060GSC

Layout

Pri 25GB FAT32 MAP (navigation map files)
Pri 25GB FAT32 WORK (for map update staging?)
Pri 8MB RAW

Extended Partition
Log 8MB RAW
Log 8MB RAW
Log 8MB RAW
Log 8MB RAW
Log 8MB RAW
Log 2.1GB FAT32 RFDBMNG (metadata for usb drives?)
Log 3.58GB FAT32 HD9 (Nav history, fuel finder, phonebook, ringtones, screen interfaces, enform apps)
Log 8MB RAW
Log 1GB FAT32 HD11 (Gracenote CDDB)
Log 3.51GB FAT32 HD12 (logs, diagnostics)
Log 1.62 FAT32 104137-8211 (custom images)
Log 8MB RAW

Sadly, the apps and interfaces are compiled and monolithic. I was hoping to find interfaces using some modern interface markup framework that would be customizable, but it's not so. Things seem messy in general. For example:

Message tones are in HD9/RING_TONE/MESSAGE encoded as pcm. Ring tones are in HD9/RING_TONE/PHONE encoded as .mp3. Partitions are all FAT32, which is the most most common file system.

It's probably a very light *nix derivative, but I can't tell by looking at the binaries.

I don't see a classic *nix file structure anywhere (/etc, /var, etc.), which means it's stored somewhere else, or the whole platform is some other OS. My preliminary assessment is that modifying or updating these images is infeasible.

It may be possible to boot later builds on earlier hardware, but troubleshooting incompatibilities is likely to be hard.

This is possible on iOS because there are a ton of bored hackers playing with it. That is not the case here. Nav data uses the KIWI format. Based on error messages present in one of the binaries, it looks like the radio uses an ARM processor just like our phones.

The UI is developed by UIEvolution Inc (now Xevo), and the app menu markups use ujbc files, which appear to be proprietary.

Sorry to revive old thread but I just saw it was mentioned in another thread. I quickly searched and see that there are softwares out there that can recover a password from an ATA locked drive.

https://redirect.viglink.com/?format...22873%2Fpage-2

You need to use a extension sata cable male to female and a usb adapter for connecting the sata to the ssd drive.

What I did..

​​​​​​1. I connected a power sata cable from my pc to the hdd and the extension cable sata to the ntg4.7 adapter.
2. Power on the ntg4.7 and wait to boot.
3. Disconnect only the sata extension cable from the ntg4.7 port and connect it to the usb adapter
4. plug the usb adapter to your pc and the windows wil recognize the hard disk. You can check from the hdd management
5. Run the hdd raw copy program and make an image.
​​​​​​
Otherwise you can use mecrium and make an image. Using mecrium you can browse later your image and its useful if you want to replace some files into the partitions for example copy the map files.

Hdd raw copy
https://hddguru.com/software/HDD-Raw-Copy-Tool/

​​​​Macrium
https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

Last edited by cryptodonis; 09-17-23 at 03:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Anfanger (09-17-23)
Old 09-17-23, 01:19 AM
cryptodonis
Pit Crew

ZU Unlock Software for ATA Password Removal & Instructions - "Safe Mode" (2.5" SATA)
Attached Files

Last edited by cryptodonis; 09-17-23 at 01:36 AM.
Old 09-17-23, 02:07 AM
cryptodonis
Pit Crew

HDD Imaging with Xboxhdm

https://mhhauto.com/Thread-NTG4-5-4-...maging-project

Quick Reply: How to power 2010+ head unit off the car?