LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Supercharger!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-21, 12:24 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by dwoods801
The stated fact that the“stock connecting rods would let go at around 400ish in 1UZ/3UZ” is news to me? I have seen 750hp twin turbo beasts that were still running on the stock bottom end. The 1st gen motors had some extremely heavy duty forged I-Beam Rods and forged crank and pistons. They can be found for low prices and are a direct drop in.
Obviously you can make anything go as fast as u can afford to go, but I don’t think the OP mentioned wanting to take a run at the Street Outlaws Top 10 or anything. That Supercharger can be put together for around $2000 and add more hp for that price than all the bolt ons put together. And if he wants to get more than a 25% increase well he just needs a credit card and he can begin with FarmTruck.
I sure like reading the posts full encouragement a lot more than the people setting everyone straight with their expectations.
Brandom from quantum auto, 507 garage, lextreme, everyone who has had a trd super charged on there 2uz 4.7 tundras, and toyota will tell you the stock connecting rods let go at 400ish hp it is why they discontinued the trd super charger for the 4.7. The 89-94 1uz rods were slightly thicker other than that the 1uz 2uz and 3uz all have almost identical rods in thickness etc

The manifold plate itself is $1600 the crank pulley is $175, 1uz tensioner to keep the belt tight is $175, a junk eaton m112 that needs a rebuild is $800-$1200, rebuild kit $200, custom fuel lines $250 rad hose etc the swap is not being done for $2000 not possible, $5500-$6500 is a realistic number for doing the eaton m112 route.

Last edited by 05ls430518; 08-25-21 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-25-21, 12:52 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,147 Likes on 853 Posts

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
Brandom from quantum auto, 507 garage, lextreme, everyone who has had a trd super charged on there 2uz 4.7 tundras, and toyota will tell you the stock connecting rods let go at 400ish hp it is why they discontinued the trd super charger for the 4.7. The 89-94 1uz rods were slightly thicker other than that the 1uz 2uz and 3uz all have almost identical rods in thickness etc

The manifold plate itself is $1600 the crank pulley is $175, 1uz tensioner to keep the belt tight is $175, a junk eaton m112 that needs a rebuild is $800-$1200, rebuild kit $200, custom fuel lines $250 rad hose etc the swap is not being done for $2000 not possible, $5500-$6500 is a realistic number for doing the eaton m112 route.
Exactly. That's more than the entire car is worth in most cases and you will still lose to any modern V8 and most 6s out there. Just get a US V8 if you want reliable speed or roll some dice with Audi like I did if you want insane speed for the money.
Old 08-25-21, 01:58 PM
dwoods801
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 173 Posts

Doesn’t the 2UZ use cast rods instead of forged?Regardless, Take it easy, I don’t think he came on here throwing out ideas to find out that his car is already a refugee from the scrap yard, and not to waste everyones time with this crazy talk. Has anybody noticed how solid the new/used car market is these days? Everything from beaters to new Camrys are going for at least 25% higher than a year ago. Which makes it difficult to find a good car for a reasonable price, and be able to finance it without digging a hole that would be hard to dig out from after the market corrects itself. So maybe spending $5k to fall in love with your current car isn’t the worst way to go.
The following users liked this post:
kaizmauka (12-04-21)
Old 08-25-21, 11:33 PM
dwoods801
Instructor

I have found numerous turbo and supercharged 1UZ/3UZ builds across the internet, including this site, with examples of a stock bottom end supporting over 700hp. All Lexus V8’s from ‘89 til 2008 (prior to the 4.6L) came with forged pistons/rods/crank, 6 bolt main caps, all aluminum block/heads/intake, and a boost friendly compression ratio of 9.5:1. This recipe should be perfectly capable of holding its own against any roots type blower. The 2UZ may have had issues holding up under pressure. It is a totally different animal without any of the features I named above.
I am thinking $6,000 and about 6 months investing your spare into doing as mimics of this work as possible. Start by doing fixing any issues that your car may have now, a little vibration now could be a death wobble with a lot more power. U don’t need any problems at high speed. Your going to want some coilovers, Poly bushings in key places, an oil and trans cooler, set of headers and stainless steel exhaust sytem designed to compliment the engines power output. Huge dual exhausts can hurt power output. U want everything your doing to serve a purpose, making power, or putting the power into the ground and not tire smoke. This would be a good time to get a set of staggered rims and tires, nothing to Gangsta, think more like 18x9 front with 235/35/18 18x11 rear with 305/30/18 meats that are going to bite and then propel their thing forward hard and without any drama your not inducing. Try and save money anywhere it isn’t going to bite u later. Get a game plan research the parts you would like to get and decide on a budget and prioritize the upgrades.
So the YouTube build mentioned above involves a basic SC kit. It was definitely designed to be affordable and provide reliable power to a stock VVTI 1UZ/3UZ. The intercooler is a great bang for the buck item. It will allow you to run more boost and reduce likelihood of predetination IOC you run a higher pressure. Also it’s never ideal to pump an engine with hot air knowing how much better they run the colder the air is. Their build was certainly an entry level option, they were only running around 5 PSI on the Lexus ECU with a tune by 507Garage, and stock fuel system. With the intercooler it should safely be able to run 8-10psi and past that level you’ll need a proper ECU like a G5 or Megasquirt($2500) so a good item to source used if possible. Using a chemical to lower the combustion temps would be the final addition before u could turn up the wick to the maximum level for the Blower and engine staying together for the long run. So a Snow methanol kit would be the last piece before pushing it to 15psi, that should give you approximately 400-500rwhp, could have to upgrade your injectors also.
The cost breakdown obviously has plenty of variables. I am not trying to build a final shopping list, just fill in the broad strokes. So with the OEM ECU, the intercooler manifold, stock fuel system you can focus on getting everything dialed in.
I have seen the occasional Lightning or Cobra in the wrecking yard with the supercharger still attached. The P&P Parts Menu. Lists them for $83 plus $20 core charge, which we have to pay, so $103. A killer deal if your able to find a serviceable option. if u have the means to go that route. Most likely place to get a deal on one with a warranty and ready to ship, is Ebay. The prices were all over the chart, but there were several that were ready to go, for around $650. They guys in the video spent days opening up theirs and rebuilding it, and suggested that it was a waste of time. There are ways to decide the condition of the internals before purchasing. I suggest using their info to steer the selection of the M112. Ask the seller to inspect the play in the rotors and make a quick video for u, before completing the purchase. So $650 for the Blower, intercooler manifold is $1850, the pulleys are approximately $400 and the intake tube is $290. That puts about $3200. Plan for the cost of a tune, and budget a couple hundred for anything else you will need to complete your install.
Let’s do some barstool racing, the 3UZ mentioned by the OP was probably rated at 290ho, so around 225rwhp, throw 10psi into the mix and that should be around 400hp.
I am not trying to be the CL Dictator here, seems like that job already has several contenders, i am just bouncing around a plan that would meet the OP’s stated goal, “To Gap some Mopars”, He didn’t even mention a low budget, and I am thinking there has to be a long list of Mopars that can’t hang with a 400rwhp LS430. It’s hard to estimate how fast anything is before it’s built. But there seems to be no limitation to what can make crazy power with the power adders available to everyone these days! I am always witnessing a build that i never would have predicted and then find its ridiculously fast to! Like spotting a ‘92 Mirage that was running sub 10’s! I am guessing the owner probably wins a lot of money with it. So while several people already made it clear that they doubt this car can be fast? I ask why don’t they include some facts that explain their position? Most people don’t even leave room to discuss it, it’s just wrong and it’ll never be right and that’s the end of it. If your vehicle is just another appliance to u, and it’s value is important for piece of mind then it’s probably unlikely i can explain why people who build them are probably getting more from their investment even though it’s larger because of the entertainment and lifestyle upgrades that are a part of that life
Here is some verification for the cost of the parts. The pressure and RWHP numbers were from the hip, I am sure there is a formula to predict hp from psi? But it probably has several potential unknown variables that leave a window that my numbers should fall into.

Last edited by dwoods801; 08-26-21 at 04:56 AM.
Old 08-26-21, 04:12 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

It is not just buy the stuff and call it a day you need multiple things fabricated, the intercooled plate needs lines a pump etc thats another $1000-$1500, on top of it it wont clear the hood so you need to cut you stock hood. Your not getting an eaton m112 for that price sorry if it is for that price its just the housing with no blades and missing parts thats scrap, unusable and will cost more than its worth to get put back in working order.

You dont calculate boost by just by psi there is a bunch of any variables fuel, timing, ambient air temp, heat soak etc if money of no option then spend $4500 like I did for a holley dominator ecu and use that.

Also labor is a huge part of this its another $3000-$5000

The elbow is $650-$700 that is the old elbow that will not clear the fuel rail and requires a half inch billet spacer. Quantum auto tunes the ecu's not 507 garage.

Just the fittngs and stuff to make the custom fuel line is $250-$350, your severely over estimating the 430 if it couldnt keep up with a M5 station wagon from the same era its not keeping up with cara with almost 150+ more hp sorry your arguing with physics and science at this point.

You are not putting 15 psi into a stock 3uz sorry not happening how much is it to build the trans once you get past that 400ish mark the trans disintegrates this is fact.

How much is your budget for tuning for your stand alone cause anything past 5 psi requires a stand alone, all4swap only has a sc tune for 5psi on a stock set up after that they cant help so its a stand alone or piggy back.

Last edited by 05ls430518; 08-26-21 at 04:26 AM.
Old 08-26-21, 04:58 AM
dwoods801
Instructor

Well I guess you’ve made your decision, it just can’t be done
and the initial build got wrapped up with just 1 dyno day, and after Having more time to play with it, they wished they could have a chance to compare them again. Because the Lexus was running much better then. And that M5 would probably doing some Mopar Gapping too

Last edited by dwoods801; 08-26-21 at 05:04 AM.
Old 08-26-21, 06:12 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

and the initial build got wrapped up with just 1 dyno day, and after Having more time to play with it, they wished they could have a chance to compare them again. Because the Lexus was running much better then. And that M5 would probably doing some Mopar Gapping too
It cant be done for $2000 like you claim its not throwing a air filter in it requires fabrication skills it can be done for $5500-$6500 with you doing the install yourself. If it can be done for $2000 why is quantum auto selling the kit for $4600 why is 507garage selling the harrop kit for $5400? Are they just ripping people off?
Old 08-26-21, 12:12 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

That M5 is in no way on par with any SRT.
Old 09-28-21, 05:15 AM
Groot430
Pit Crew

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

There is a lot of mis information on here .
For a start the speed academy LS430 works out at the same height as the stock inlet manifold so clears the hood .
Secondly no crank pulley is needed as the supercharger runs off the serpentine belt .
When I read posts stating those kinds of things as truth I wonder about what else they might say that's incorrect as it becomes obvious they have no idea about this particular install and haven't bothered to watch the Speed Academy video's !! .
I'm sourcing an M112 from the States and as I'm in Australia the Elate Manifold doesn't have to travel far .
I have an advantage as I've fitted many turbo's and superchargers and as far as installs go the speed academy one is as easy as it gets .
Stock fuel rail , stock ECU [ although the ECU tickle they get done is a great thing ] and you can buy the throttle body adaptor off the shelf [ I will make my own as I can and save $360 in the process . ]
Not only that but one has a detailed video of exactly what is involved...no guessing or surprises .
I will have everything on the shelf ready to go before I start the install and expect a weekend will see it done comfortably .
As a note you need the SVT Cobra M112 supercharger so that the throttlebody input is in the correct place on the side not on the top .
My LS430 " Mr Anderson " is a cruise liner and as such I'm not looking to outdrag anybody , however having close to an extra 100 Hp from low down is going to make the car quite quick off the mark compared to what it is now .
I will be running 7 Psi which is a little bit more than what the Speed Academy one runs , I believe 8 Psi is still safe on a stock 3uz .
As a note I expect my cost to be about $3500 all up including $250 odd for the ECU tickle .
I have an advantage as i can do all the work myself plus make my own throttle body adaptor .
Having access to a mill and a lathe certainly doesn't hurt either .
Even with the cost of the supercharger install my car will owe me less that 10 grand !!
What could I possibly buy in Australia for 10 grand that will equal Mr Anderson ??

Last edited by Groot430; 09-28-21 at 05:52 AM.
Old 09-28-21, 11:50 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

A holden with an LS
Old 09-28-21, 01:28 PM
Groot430
Pit Crew

Not anymore , rear wheel drive car prices have gone ballistic in Australia , and who wants a just Holden together...Yuk !!
Mr Anderson is worth about 4 grand more than when I bought it .
As a note one needs the SVT Cobra M112 supercharger not the F150 one shown a few posts back , inlet is on top instead of on the side .
Needs to be on the side .
Old 10-26-21, 05:25 AM
Roki187
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Groot430
There is a lot of mis information on here .
For a start the speed academy LS430 works out at the same height as the stock inlet manifold so clears the hood .
Secondly no crank pulley is needed as the supercharger runs off the serpentine belt .
When I read posts stating those kinds of things as truth I wonder about what else they might say that's incorrect as it becomes obvious they have no idea about this particular install and haven't bothered to watch the Speed Academy video's !! .
I'm sourcing an M112 from the States and as I'm in Australia the Elate Manifold doesn't have to travel far .
I have an advantage as I've fitted many turbo's and superchargers and as far as installs go the speed academy one is as easy as it gets .
Stock fuel rail , stock ECU [ although the ECU tickle they get done is a great thing ] and you can buy the throttle body adaptor off the shelf [ I will make my own as I can and save $360 in the process . ]
Not only that but one has a detailed video of exactly what is involved...no guessing or surprises .
I will have everything on the shelf ready to go before I start the install and expect a weekend will see it done comfortably .
As a note you need the SVT Cobra M112 supercharger so that the throttlebody input is in the correct place on the side not on the top .
My LS430 " Mr Anderson " is a cruise liner and as such I'm not looking to outdrag anybody , however having close to an extra 100 Hp from low down is going to make the car quite quick off the mark compared to what it is now .
I will be running 7 Psi which is a little bit more than what the Speed Academy one runs , I believe 8 Psi is still safe on a stock 3uz .
As a note I expect my cost to be about $3500 all up including $250 odd for the ECU tickle .
I have an advantage as i can do all the work myself plus make my own throttle body adaptor .
Having access to a mill and a lathe certainly doesn't hurt either .
Even with the cost of the supercharger install my car will owe me less that 10 grand !!
What could I possibly buy in Australia for 10 grand that will equal Mr Anderson ??

update on the build?
Old 10-26-21, 03:42 PM
Groot430
Pit Crew

Freight out of the States has been deliberately slowed , my M112 is sitting at Los Angeles airport waiting to depart !!
It will get here but it's gunna take a bit longer .
Actually in the process of tracking down a fuel hose so I can weld a fitting on it for the Y hose to each fuel rail .
Won't order the manifold just yet .
The following users liked this post:
dwoods801 (11-08-21)
Old 10-30-21, 05:05 PM
Groot430
Pit Crew

Thor has arrived from the States and I will be ordering a Elate manifold on Monday .
Currently sorting out where I can get all the other other bits and bobs from .
Have also sorted out a better way of doing the fuel rail pipe in between delete thing and probably will have that on the car done well before I start the install .
I also included a pic of Mr Anderson in the driveway .

The following 2 users liked this post by Groot430:
dwoods801 (11-08-21), Roki187 (11-09-21)
Old 11-08-21, 10:32 PM
dwoods801
Instructor

I would definitely skip the expense and complications that come with an intercooler and simply plan to add a methanol injection kit as soon as you can. Many of the stand alone engine management systems will be able to Activate it and adjust the fuel and timing to maximize the boost. Methanol will let u advance the timing and cools down the combustion temps drastically. And it does this far more effectively than even an water to air intercooler. And for minimal expense. You could also get a controller that will just control the meth, if you aren’t planning on doing a stand alone. It’s not nearly as effective this way, but it’s still pretty big upgrade, for minimal investment and hassle. The Combe of boost and meth, plus E85 if you can get it and set your car up for it, is what makes a lot of these crazy high psi possible:

Quick Reply: Supercharger!