LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

EFI fuse 2 keep blowing

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-20, 09:40 AM
Tyreern
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EFI fuse 2 keep blowing

My car is in limp mode and my VSC., Check engine, triangle light is on. Pulled the codes for driver side rear wheel speed sensor and MAF. Changed both and still lights. I tried the paperclip in OBD. but no difference. I changed the blown EFI 2 fuse and car cut off seconds later and blew that fuse. What is wrong? The codes say MAF and Oxygen sensors
Old 07-29-20, 09:44 AM
Tyreern
Driver School Candidate

If possible please show me pictures of where the look. Thanks 😊
Old 07-29-20, 02:33 PM
weldthedif
Advanced

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

I would suggest getting Techstream setup for a more complete diagnosis . I got mine all setup for less than $50 total
Old 07-29-20, 02:45 PM
Tyreern
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by weldthedif
I would suggest getting Techstream setup for a more complete diagnosis . I got mine all setup for less than $50 total
What do I need to get ? Thanks
Old 07-29-20, 02:58 PM
white_lx
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

EFI#2 fuse powers the MAF, oxygen sensors and evap solenoids. Could be a few other things. I would start by inspecting the oxygen sensor wiring. Did it get damaged from something on the road or maybe a leaky exhaust. Or maybe there is an internal short. I think the oxygen sensor plugs are in the vehicle (difficult to reach) If you unplug them and the EFI#2 does not blow, then you can start narrowing down each sensor. You can also measure the heater resistance of the oxygen sensors from EFI#2 fuse to the ECM for each sensor. If there is a dead short, you found the smoking gun. Next would be the solenoids of the evap system.

Techstream is not really helpful if you have are blowing fuses. I would solve that problem first. Then solve any remaining codes.
Old 07-29-20, 03:00 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyreern
My car is in limp mode and my VSC., Check engine, triangle light is on. Pulled the codes for driver side rear wheel speed sensor and MAF. Changed both and still lights. I tried the paperclip in OBD. but no difference. I changed the blown EFI 2 fuse and car cut off seconds later and blew that fuse. What is wrong? The codes say MAF and Oxygen sensors
Can you check to confirm that the "EFI No.2" fuse blows as soon as you turn on the ignition switch? This could mean that the wire harness is shorted to ground somewhere.
Old 07-29-20, 03:44 PM
Tyreern
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by white_lx
EFI#2 fuse powers the MAF, oxygen sensors and evap solenoids. Could be a few other things. I would start by inspecting the oxygen sensor wiring. Did it get damaged from something on the road or maybe a leaky exhaust. Or maybe there is an internal short. I think the oxygen sensor plugs are in the vehicle (difficult to reach) If you unplug them and the EFI#2 does not blow, then you can start narrowing down each sensor. You can also measure the heater resistance of the oxygen sensors from EFI#2 fuse to the ECM for each sensor. If there is a dead short, you found the smoking gun. Next would be the solenoids of the evap system.

Techstream is not really helpful if you have are blowing fuses. I would solve that problem first. Then solve any remaining codes.
Thanks 😊👍
Old 07-29-20, 05:35 PM
Tyreern
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rkw77080
Can you check to confirm that the "EFI No.2" fuse blows as soon as you turn on the ignition switch? This could mean that the wire harness is shorted to ground somewhere.
I just put another fuse in box. I started car then it cut off. I checked the fuse and it was blown! I didn't even put car in drive. I noticed the VSC and triangle light was off until the fuse blew
Old 07-30-20, 05:03 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

I just put another fuse in box. I started car then it cut off. I checked the fuse and it was blown! I didn't even put car in drive. I noticed the VSC and triangle light was off until the fuse blew
Most likely one of wires downstream of the "EFI No.2" fuse is shorted to ground. Attached is the Engine Control wiring diagram. It's time to pull out the multimeter and locate the short.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Engine Control.pdf (2.84 MB, 383 views)
The following users liked this post:
Lavrishevo (07-30-20)
Old 07-30-20, 05:24 AM
Tyreern
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rkw77080
Most likely one of wires downstream of the "EFI No.2" fuse is shorted to ground. Attached is the Engine Control wiring diagram. It's time to pull out the multimeter and locate the short.
Thanks I will try that Saturday! Thanks 👍
Old 07-30-20, 06:59 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 407 Likes on 346 Posts

What year is your LS430?

Have you tested, inspected your Oxygen and MAF sensor, or tried a yard spare to see if fuse still blows?
Old 07-30-20, 07:52 AM
Tyreern
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by YODAONE
What year is your LS430?

Have you tested, inspected your Oxygen and MAF sensor, or tried a yard spare to see if fuse still blows?
2001 I inspected the oxygen sensors underneath the car and the maf sensor and no wires or nothing detached or damaged the 2 oxygen sensor under the car wire goes into the car but I can't find the two that's under the engine hood if you can show me a picture of something it'll be fine