LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Add extra Subwoofer to ML audio.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-20, 11:32 PM
mdanfas
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Add extra Subwoofer to ML audio.

Hey guys,

Just a random idea I thought of doing. But I have almost no idea about audio systems.

Is it possible to add an extra Subwoofer(with an extra amp) to the ML system while keeping the stock speakers and subwoofers in place. I'm not planning to spend way crazy for this and I'm not into too much Bass.

The posts I found after searching was to completely change the whole system or changing the ML subwoofer to Polk Audio.

Thank you!
Old 02-09-20, 08:36 AM
Fojo
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, you need a line output converter. Although I wouldn't have the new sub clash with the ML sub, just unhook the ML sub and tune your aftermarket sub to fill in for it. I am planning on doing this, and I will completely removed the ML sub and the aftermarket sub will be in the trunk using the hole where the ML sub was as a sort of passthrough. I will add deadening material in the area too to eliminate any rattles. I hear the sun shade is a problem spot
Old 02-09-20, 09:45 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,212 Likes on 959 Posts

Originally Posted by Fojo
Yes, you need a line output converter. Although I wouldn't have the new sub clash with the ML sub, just unhook the ML sub and tune your aftermarket sub to fill in for it. I am planning on doing this, and I will completely removed the ML sub and the aftermarket sub will be in the trunk using the hole where the ML sub was as a sort of passthrough. I will add deadening material in the area too to eliminate any rattles. I hear the sun shade is a problem spot
Not sure how to tune the aftermarket sub?? I bought a powered 10" subwoofer, Rockford Fosgate. It has a built in line output converter. I just ran speaker wire to the wires on the lexus sub woofer, I wasn't able to disconnect the wires so I just wrapped and soldered it to the exposed copper braid wire on the existing sub. I know that isn't the proper way to do it, but as mentioned, no idea how to disconnect the old speaker readily. I ran a heavy power cable to the battery up front under the door sills and a ground cable in the trunk. It sounds great, not too much. Hope you find this helpful.
The following users liked this post:
Fojo (02-09-20)
Old 02-09-20, 11:29 AM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by swfla
Not sure how to tune the aftermarket sub?? I bought a powered 10" subwoofer, Rockford Fosgate. It has a built in line output converter. I just ran speaker wire to the wires on the lexus sub woofer, I wasn't able to disconnect the wires so I just wrapped and soldered it to the exposed copper braid wire on the existing sub. I know that isn't the proper way to do it, but as mentioned, no idea how to disconnect the old speaker readily. I ran a heavy power cable to the battery up front under the door sills and a ground cable in the trunk. It sounds great, not too much. Hope you find this helpful.
Yes, that is how I would have it done it too. I am repenting selling my 12" JBL sub just few months ago.
I used it in my previous SUV and that had a terrific boom. This one... https://www.crutchfield.com/S-5CVmuy...BassPro12.html

The following users liked this post:
swfla (02-09-20)
Old 02-09-20, 06:43 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,212 Likes on 959 Posts

That 12" JBL would be great in an RX or bigger!