LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

To replace struts, or not to replace struts? That is the question

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-23, 03:23 PM
Loops320
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CA2WALS430
I replaced my 2 fronts on my 04 2 years when one had been leaking for a bit. I think at the time I ordered them from MyLparts, and the dealer here in Salt Lake City did the labor. Fast forward 2 years to Tuesday morning backing out of my garage and I said "what's that?!?" looking at a new little sludge pile under where the rear wheel was. It exploded! Service advisor said he has only seen 2 cars in 10 years have a strut actually blow, but he showed me the pics from the bay of my drenched strut. Needless to say, lot going on in life right now and I need to travel with the car for Thanksgiving so I said go ahead. Let's not even talk what 2 struts are at a dealer these days. I can't complain much, original strut is almost 20 years old and there are some brutal roads here in SLC.

I am still a believer in OE vs. OEM. I authored a thread about it a while back. Just because KYB is the OEM for the original strut does not automatically mean the aftermarket KYB is the same strut. 4 of the cars I have owned including my old Honda Accord had amazing original struts on them, lasting longer than any after market story I have heard. I am kind of convinced on OE for those things, so whether Bell, MyLparts, or just getting reemed at the dealer, I think it is worth it. At least they were able to give $100 off, so the 2 struts are now only $110 more than Bell was charging.

Generally speaking though, struts usually degrade gradually so even if not leaking they are not as robust but you just don't notice it. I am one who just keeps driving if they aren't obviously shot, but I could see the argument of just doing it, knowing they've outlived their expectancy. Anyway, looking forward to getting the car back tonight.
Funny, I'm also in SLC and the rear strut on my 04 exploded as well, happened about 3 weeks ago. Ordered new OEM shocks and springs from Bell Lexus and did the job myself. Just finished up a few days ago. Bought the car from LHM Lexus in Murray in August.
The following users liked this post:
CA2WALS430 (11-18-23)
Old 11-18-23, 06:54 AM
CA2WALS430
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

@Loops320 , WOWWW!
First of all, nice to see another club member in the area. So you get it. The 15 is junk and the 215 on the west side is not better. I live in South Jordan so the in-town roads around here are fine, but man I hate the highway. And I always hear sand hitting my windshield. I've already had one crack fill and one windshield replacement in the 2 years I've lived here.
Second, congratulations on that car and welcome to ownership and membership here! I'm sorry you had to do a repair so soon, but these truly are fantastic cars. I bought an 03 in 2014, loved it for 5 years and then wanted the update so I found this 04. You can look at some of my historical posts about addressing some of classic 04 issues. Fixed now; not too painful. I just always feel special driving this car.
Third, nice job on doing the labor, but yeah, that is a little creepy how similar the situation is, but like I said, at almost 20 years old and then driving on these roads. I have 135k, Crystal White Pearl on Cashmere, ML edition. I don't get too ambitious on DIY but this blog has easily saved me $1000 in labor over the years. LHM in Murray has been reliable for me in service, and the prices are still cheaper than Washington where I came from. I was using an independent mechanic there. I asked the service advisor about matching Bell and he said he has tried too, but since LHM is a monopoly in the state for Lexus, they won't budge. I am pleased they do let me bring in my own parts though. Lexus of Bellevue, Washington would not have done that. But they did give me a nice discount in the end, so I am pleased.

Last edited by CA2WALS430; 11-18-23 at 07:01 AM.
Old 11-18-23, 03:56 PM
Loops320
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The similarities are piling up, mine's moonlight pearl with cashmere, 94k miles and very clean. LHM did the timing belt on my 06 LX, I do think they're a very good dealer. Good to know you can bring parts. I like working on my own cars, but this strut job was fairly difficult. I guess we've established that the lifespan of factory LS shocks is 20 years, ha ha.
The following users liked this post:
CA2WALS430 (11-19-23)