LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Wix Filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-19, 12:52 PM
rd400racer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wix Filter

I did my first oil change on my 03 and got a Wix filter because concensus is they're one of the best. I noticed there seems to be a lot of the flange showing compared to the Toyota filter that it replaced...like the Wix is a tad smaller diameter. Filter is #51348 and I double checked that it's the correct filter for this car. Am I being overly paranoid?
Old 06-08-19, 01:18 PM
bradland

Received 649 Likes on 531 Posts

It's fine
Next time try the XP version-
Amazon Amazon
The following users liked this post:
rd400racer (06-08-19)
Old 06-08-19, 04:55 PM
westopill
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I actually just changed my oil yesterday and used the same Wix filter 51348. Looked just like the old filter that came out, and Wix makes great filters so nothing to worry about there. I forgot about the XP version, so next time I'm going for that since its almost the same price.
Old 06-09-19, 04:06 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Yeah it has been my filter of choice going back to the early 2000's, on all of our cars except 1 that has a drop in cartridge. I use WIX for the air also, although I don't feel as if the air is as critical as the oil. Agree too with the recommendation to go WIX XP.

I know what you're talking about in your observation, it makes me realize how important that rubber gasket is lol, but no worries, at least I've been using WIX for over 25k on the LS430...

(p.s. it's scary now how some factory filters have gotten cheapified, like at GM. When my wife's car was new the filter was an "F." Now it is an "E." The deconstructions online are downright scary (ok maybe I'm exaggerating). But the idea is to have less to decompose I guess meaning cardboard where there was once metal, etc. No thanks, WIX XP to the rescue!)
Old 06-09-19, 04:52 AM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 253 Likes on 166 Posts

Another great choice for these UZ engines is the Motorcraft a FL400s. It’s the OEM filter for Fords, and is considered oversized for this application. Plus it can be bought at Walmart for less than $4. Absolute steal.
2KHarrier (06-10-19)
Old 06-11-19, 06:44 AM
NetG
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rd400racer
I did my first oil change on my 03 and got a Wix filter because concensus is they're one of the best. I noticed there seems to be a lot of the flange showing compared to the Toyota filter that it replaced...like the Wix is a tad smaller diameter. Filter is #51348 and I double checked that it's the correct filter for this car. Am I being overly paranoid?
Don't get me wrong, sure they're fine filters, certainly not fram, but mobile one is considered a much better filter. Still you are being overly paranoid, if it's the right part number you're fine, wix are my 3 choice for oil filters. I've noticed oil filters seem to be getting smaller so I feel you on that...even on my 4cyl I end up triple checking the part number.

Last edited by NetG; 06-11-19 at 06:50 AM.
Old 06-24-19, 01:53 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

The following 2 links will give you some unofficial Toyota education about the Toyota V8 oil filters:

https://parts.olathetoyota.com/tacom...ter-comparison
https://parts.olathetoyota.com/tundr...ter-comparison

The first link compares the LS430's 90915-YZZD3 filter against several compatible aftermarkets. The second link compares the Toyota 5.7L V8 filter 01452-YZZA4.

Conclusion: Toyota filters are the best (of the compared filters) due to very high quality, wide availability, essentially zero risk of accidental engine damage/wear, and very low cost ($3.97 USD each at RockAuto, but after shipping, your local Toyota dealer might be cheaper). I would have liked them to add the Toyota 90915-20004 and Amsoil filters to the comparison, but am certain the Toyota filters are top-tier and will continue using them.

The most notable difference between the OEM filter and all the others is the size - the Toyota filter has both the longest canister body and the biggest cartridge - in terms of outer diameter, length, and pleat depth. This means the OEM filter media has the largest surface area of any filter we looked at - nearly twice as big as many competitors, in fact. There's no denying that the size of this filter results in better engine cooling ability and, in all likelihood, high filter flow rates (perhaps the highest). Toyota uses a a fairly inexpensive-looking bypass valve, but we think it's safe to assume this valve is adequate. Considering the low price of the OEM filter when compared to all the other filters we looked at, the OEM filter seems like a very good value.

The problems with the Wix filter are the uneven pleat spacing, the thinner and lighter filter material, and the thick end caps that decrease the effective surface area. The strong points are that the Wix still has the second largest surface area, a quality anti-drainback valve, and a very clever bypass valve. Despite the uneven pleats, the Wix filter's beta ratios are solid and it definitel seems like a good choice.

The Wix and K&N are both a) smaller (in terms of filter surface area) and b) more expensive than the Toyota OEM filter (at least if you buy the OEM filter online). While it seems possible that the bypass valve in the Wix and K&N filters performs a bit better than the OEM filter's bypass valve, it seems highly unlikely that Toyota would produce a filter with an inadequate bypass valve. After all, these are the exact same filters that Toyota puts on a brand new engine. Toyota has to warranty their new engines against problems for 5 years or 60k miles. If Toyota's oil filter bypass valves were inadequate, the cost of replacing or repairing engines damaged by constrained oil flow due to faulty bypass valves would seem to be higher than the cost of a decent bypass valve (we're talking about a few cents per filter here). Critics may argue that this comparison is biased because we came to this conclusion, but the surface area numbers speak for themselves.

Based on all the data and observation, it seems like the Wix is probably the best flowing filter and that the OEM Toyota filter is probably the best value. The Wix filter is also more expensive than the OEM filter (almost 50% more expensive), and that's based on a sale price. Is the Wix worth 50% more money than the OEM filter? In most respects, the Wix and the OEM Toyota filter match up, so it's not really clear that one is any better than the other.

It's hard to recommend the Fram ExtraGuard filter. The inconsistent manufacturing and loose surface particles, combined with the smallest surface area and highest density, indicate a bad match for an engine that likely needs a free-flowing oil supply.

Ultimately, this data shows that you must give the OEM Toyota oil filter serious consideration. It just may be that the Toyota filter offers the best combination of filtration performance and flow rate, and even if that's not the case, there's not enough difference from one filter to another to justify a higher cost. For these reasons, it seems like the OEM filter is a very smart choice.

Therefore, our conclusion is pretty simple: if you can find a Wix or K&N filter for the same cost as an OEM Toyota filter, you should think about buying it. Otherwise, based on the pricing we found, the Toyota OEM filter seems like the smart choice.

Note: This isn't an official Toyota comparison - this is something we did here at Olathe Toyota Parts. We hired Jason Lancaster, editor of TundraHeadquarters.com, to conduct this comparison, but we didn't pay him to generate a specific result. Jason acted completely independently and in good faith. If you have questions about methodology, etc., please contact Jason directly.
The following 2 users liked this post by StanVanDam:
ls430w140 (06-24-19), NetG (06-27-19)
Old 06-24-19, 03:51 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Sometimes context is important. So what are we talking about OE v. WIX. Let's use only rockauto prices (they don't offer free shipping so sometimes amazon is cheaper).

$3.21, $3.96, $6.76. Whoa. $6.76 for a WIX XP oil filter? Does a LS430 really need a $6.76 oil filter, throwing away $3.55 like it ain't no thang, and that's over $7/yr. Before we know it, we're gonna get nailed for using Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum too, because no LS430 or LS400 requires a $12 5-qt jug of full synth.

I'm a creature of habit (they say it takes 6 weeks). Since I have been using WIX XP since I got this car, I'll keep being a big spender and do the nearly $7 filter.

edit the reason I went to WIX more than a decade ago from Nissan OE was production went to China. I googled the Toyota OE filter and it seems to be made in Thailand. I would perfer the USA made WIX myself. But amazon does seem to sell the Toyota filters for $46.40 for 10, amazon prime.

Last edited by Johnhav430; 06-24-19 at 03:57 PM.
Old 06-24-19, 03:59 PM
biosurfer1
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

For me, it's not the $3.55, it's a question of do I get anything for that money? If there is data suggesting there is a measurable difference between two like products, I don't have a problem, but if they are basically the same, why spend extra?

I take the same approach to Harbor freight...I think their precise tools lack quality control so I shop elsewhere...but something like a hammer? All it does is drive nails or hit things? Hard to justify paying double for a Home Depot hammer just because
Old 06-24-19, 04:09 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by biosurfer1
For me, it's not the $3.55, it's a question of do I get anything for that money? If there is data suggesting there is a measurable difference between two like products, I don't have a problem, but if they are basically the same, why spend extra?

I take the same approach to Harbor freight...I think their precise tools lack quality control so I shop elsewhere...but something like a hammer? All it does is drive nails or hit things? Hard to justify paying double for a Home Depot hammer just because
Isn't if funny for those of us who find Snap On in our tool chests? I'll be the first to admit that there's no way Snap On can meet the marginal benefit > marginal cost. It's better at a steep cost. but there are also folks who drive Peterbilt 359s over Hinos or Mitsubishis too.

How about a Texas Roadhouse steak? while it tastes good, it tastes like a $5.99/lb rib eye you get on sale at the supermarket. Choice. Rather tough. I don't frequent the place but a Capital Grille or Chop House $65 rib eye tastes a lot better, for a lot more. More than $3.55.
Old 06-24-19, 08:58 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I use Fram Ultra filter on the LS (in slightly oversize version) always bought when they go on sale for about $6-7. But only drive 6k miles/year so I change oil filter once a year these days so I don't care a lot what it costs within reason. Fits and seems to do the job. Fram Ultras are very popular on BITOG.
Amazon Amazon
Old 06-25-19, 07:19 AM
weldthedif
Advanced

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
I use Fram Ultra filter on the LS (in slightly oversize version) always bought when they go on sale for about $6-7. But only drive 6k miles/year so I change oil filter once a year these days so I don't care a lot what it costs within reason. Fits and seems to do the job. Fram Ultras are very popular on BITOG.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Interesting, that is the first positive review I've read for a FRAM product, in a very long time... maybe ever. I'll stick with OEM.
Old 06-25-19, 07:56 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

saw these in my buddy's shop. He said they were "junk," but we have a national contract. For the most part, this discussion is completely subjective. The only thing that is not, is when you get into K&N, which is snake oil, and was proven about 20 years ago. Some dude used a 3 mil dollar bench test machine that even K&N doesn't have so they couldn't counter and I saw their claims removed from their packaging (gets better as it gets dirty lol with fake charts).

http://www.baldwinfilter.com/literat...ks_BD50000.pdf

he said they do 60k mile changes which sounded like a lot to me. But when it's a business waste not want not.
Old 06-25-19, 01:37 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by weldthedif
Interesting, that is the first positive review I've read for a FRAM product, in a very long time... maybe ever. I'll stick with OEM.

Most low cost budget Fram filters are poorly made based on reviews and analysis on BITOG. The Fram Ultra is their high end filter and surprisingly routinely rated for filtration specs and construction quality better than most other competitive high end filters. It may be one of the top oil filters available via normal retail market channel.

The current spec'd OEM Toyota filter is a good quality filter although I feel it is undersized, the older and bigger high quality toyota filter that was originally spec'd for the LS is no longer available.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 06-25-19 at 01:41 PM.
430SLOwner (07-01-19)
Old 07-01-19, 05:08 AM
430SLOwner
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Most low cost budget Fram filters are poorly made based on reviews and analysis on BITOG. The Fram Ultra is their high end filter and surprisingly routinely rated for filtration specs and construction quality better than most other competitive high end filters. It may be one of the top oil filters available via normal retail market channel.

The current spec'd OEM Toyota filter is a good quality filter although I feel it is undersized, the older and bigger high quality toyota filter that was originally spec'd for the LS is no longer available.
Here is a guy who cut Wix, Bosch, Purolator, MAPA Gold, and some some Fram filters open and he agrees with your poor quality comment....

Last edited by 430SLOwner; 07-01-19 at 05:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Wix Filter