LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

They wouldn' rotate my tires!!! ARGGG

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-19, 09:06 AM
Hagar
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Angry They wouldn' rotate my tires!!! ARGGG

Went to get my oil changed approaching 5,000 miles and also rotate my tires at the same time (recommended)
BUT, the service shop instead of rotating my tires came out and said they were all the same tread were and the best tires were on the rear already and hence, we didn't (won't) rotate the tires.

I was pissed. And all this this because of of a stupid DOT law saying new tires regardless of front wheel drive or not, new tires will go on the rear. Until I drive around the block and say it's time to rotate.

Sorry, but its my car and if you want to regulate something, then regulate governors on cars so they can't go over the speed limit or better inhibit cell phone use in a car.

So I drove around the block and pulled into the place I bought them and said it was time to rotate. Well no because I was already at the place I bought my new Michelin's.

Don't like it, don't care for it, it's my car and Michelin says to rotate the tires at least every 7,500 miles. Anyone else?
Old 06-06-19, 10:04 AM
vredniykot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

sounds like time to find another shop to take your car to
i usually let the oil change guys just change the oil, let the tire guys just do just the tires

Les Schwab tells me that it's best to keep the meatier tires on the front since that's where most of the action is, cornering, braking, turning, water encounters etc. is. this was for my Silverado at least, when i took the LS to them for free trip inspection they didn't say anything about rotating tires, my fronts definitely have more thread than the rears do
Old 06-06-19, 10:26 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Kinda funny. Say you have brand new tires. You rotate at 7,500. Now you reach 15,000. You go to rotate again. A genius tells you, we won't do anything. All your tires are the same. No wonder Costco is a 150 bil. co!

(p.s. there is a reason why there are patterns that are not simply front to back, back to front)

Last edited by Johnhav430; 06-06-19 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-06-19, 11:11 AM
Ellesse
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by vredniykot

Les Schwab tells me that it's best to keep the meatier tires on the front since that's where most of the action is, cornering, braking, turning, water encounters etc. is. this was for my Silverado at least, when i took the LS to them for free trip inspection they didn't say anything about rotating tires, my fronts definitely have more thread than the rears do
You need to find a new tire shop.
For overall safety meatier tires always go on the back, any tire shop that knows what they're doing will tell you that
Old 06-06-19, 11:33 AM
vredniykot
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ellesse
You need to find a new tire shop.
For overall safety meatier tires always go on the back, any tire shop that knows what they're doing will tell you that
huh. confirmed.
well, the convo about the truck was a few years back and they probably didn't know what they were talking about
i just talked to the mgr at the store and he confirmed needing meatier tires in the back...
i stand corrected
Old 06-06-19, 11:36 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Tire racks site states the reason here for the tires going on the back axel:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=52
The following users liked this post:
LexRex (06-06-19)
Old 06-06-19, 12:09 PM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Just located the same article as it did not make sense to me for vehicles where the heavier weight is in the front. As well as FWD cars should have the better tires in the front as that is where all the power/handling/steering are controlled. Right? Not so.

But... bottom line... the better tires in the rear are to better support possible hydroplaning incidents. As it's easier to control your car with bad tires in the front than the rear.
So while this might make sense for wet weather climates I can see in parts of AZ, NM and TX where this 'across the board rule' may not be applicable.

But, now I know why they want to put the better tires in the rear.
Old 06-06-19, 05:19 PM
Hagar
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

From above said article;
However, due to a front-wheel drive vehicle's front tires' responsibility for transmitting acceleration, steering and most of the braking forces, it's normal for them to wear faster than rear tires. Therefore, if the tires aren't rotated on a regular basis, tires will typically wear out in pairs rather than in sets. And if the tires aren't rotated at all, it's likely that the rear tires will still have about 1/2 of their original tread depth remaining when the front tires are completely worn out.

So following this logic, you would never rotate your tires as the rears will always be better. And this logic doesn't assume you shouldn't drive so fast when its wet outside. Slow down would be a prudent rule. And what about wanting better traction to get through on front wheel drive?

Wait a few months and this will all change again. But in he meantime, the indie I did buy the tires from said they will acquiesce to my desires from here on out.

Call me obstinate but ole school says I'm throwing in the BS flag.
Old 06-06-19, 06:27 PM
Ellesse
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 118 Posts

Not sure I get that logic... you rotate them so they ideally wear out evenly and then replace the while set at once vs a pair at a time.
If you rotate them on schedule the tread difference between front and rear will always be marginal so you wont have a big delta in tread depth.

Old school logic was always better tires in front, and most of us are old enough to have followed that advice for decades. But they've done enough studies and analysis to the point that you wont find a single tire manufacturer or vendor saying 'new tires in front'. If you cant trust the people that pour millions into engineering them, why trust their recommended PSI or weight rating either!
Old 06-06-19, 06:42 PM
vredniykot
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ellesse
Not sure I get that logic... you rotate them so they ideally wear out evenly and then replace the while set at once vs a pair at a time.
If you rotate them on schedule the tread difference between front and rear will always be marginal so you wont have a big delta in tread depth.

Old school logic was always better tires in front, and most of us are old enough to have followed that advice for decades. But they've done enough studies and analysis to the point that you wont find a single tire manufacturer or vendor saying 'new tires in front'. If you cant trust the people that pour millions into engineering them, why trust their recommended PSI or weight rating either!
did you just say that old dogs can be taught new tricks?
Old 06-07-19, 02:00 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Tire shops love the staggered setups because that's when they can legitimately do no work, and the mfgs love them too because they cut the warranty in half (how much sense does that make).

I wonder, if every customer crayoned their tires before going in for a rotation, what % would find like I did, that nothing was done? Go COSTCO! (to be fair it was one location, but I crayon the tires now going forward)
Old 06-07-19, 06:23 AM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Tire shops love the staggered setups because that's when they can legitimately do no work, and the mfgs love them too because they cut the warranty in half (how much sense does that make).

I wonder, if every customer crayoned their tires before going in for a rotation, what % would find like I did, that nothing was done? Go COSTCO! (to be fair it was one location, but I crayon the tires now going forward)
Haha... I thought I am the only crazy person who does this. Not that I do not trust anyone, but I always like to confirm/verify that the job is done. When I had the Sequoia, do not crayon the tires, but I took pictures of the rims before the local shop do the rotation so I can verify they actually do the work. Each rim has small blemished/nicked in different places so I can tell which one is which. The local shop had a free rotation if buying the set from them, so I took advantage of it. Too bad they are closed a few years ago, so been buying online in for the past two sets of tires.

Many years ago I actually caught one shop who used impact to tighten my tires. I had a leak so I had them patched the tire. I took the car home, wanted to re-torque the lug nuts and I could not get them loosen. I probably could have got it done with my cheater pipe but I wanted them to do it incase it broke the stud. So I took it back to that shop and complain about it. The manager chewed his tech lol. He knew that if they break the studs, that would be more work for them (and I would not pay for it). Last time I took my car to that shop...

Last edited by BCT; 06-07-19 at 06:33 AM.
Old 06-07-19, 10:04 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Sounds wild to me! I cross rotate my tires religiously every 5,000 miles. Each tire eventually ends up on a different side of my car. With the price of Michelin Tires, I want to get what I can out of them. Sorry for your problem but if changing shops would help I would. Good luck.