LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Opinions on Possible Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-19, 04:04 PM
AlblineLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on Possible Purchase

Been a while since I've been on but Im always lurking. Found a very clean meticulous LS UL and I'm trying to gauge a good price for it. He's asking 13k but is negotiable. Would like to get feedback and yes I do know a car is worth what you're willing to spend I jus don't wanna overspend but also know the values as well. thanks guys, hopefully lll be the proud owner soon.

2005 Lexus LS430
Ultra Luxury Edition
Flint Mica Gray Exterior
Black Leather interior
Clean carfax, no accidents, dealer and private service records, California and Nevada vehicle.
Car is immaculate, very few imperfections but nothing unexpected for a 10+ year old car
Turn key car. No immediate maintenance needed. Next oil change is at 137K (currently it has 133K). Tires are barely a year old. Brakes have over 80% life left. Battery is a year old.
Air suspension was replaced with original Lexus parts and it’s in great working shape.
Timing Belt was inspected last year and it’s great.
No expense was spared keeping this car up to date and in good shape. I even bought the latest GPS Maps available (not that anyone uses them).
Car will come with a carfax report, both working keys, a binder with all the records and any additional extras/parts I might have.
Old 03-20-19, 04:33 PM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

It sounds like a great car that is wildly over-priced unless the Hawaiian market is markedly different from the mainland. $9000 is about the high end due to the mileage IMHO.
Old 03-20-19, 06:00 PM
cydalLS
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That would be top dollar amount with less than 100k IMO. For that I would say I would pay 10.5k
Old 03-20-19, 07:02 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

What does timing belt inspected mean is it original or not.
Old 03-20-19, 09:15 PM
Vantage007
Pit Crew

Received 116 Likes on 50 Posts

Timing belt "inspected" means nothing to me if it's an original belt. On a 2005 car that may have been put in service in 2014, that belt could be 15 years old now, almost double the recommended change interval. If there's no proof of it being changed, that'll be needed immediately.
Old 03-20-19, 09:22 PM
AlblineLex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Vantage007
Timing belt "inspected" means nothing to me if it's an original belt. On a 2005 car that may have been put in service in 2014, that belt could be 15 years old now, almost double the recommended change interval. If there's no proof of it being changed, that'll be needed immediately.
he does have all those parts to do it, he jus said that the dealer he bought it from inspected the belt and said ti was still good. im gonna have my mechanic check that but he has all the parts that comes with it, timing belt kit, water pump, and valve cover gasket

Last edited by AlblineLex; 03-20-19 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-20-19, 09:23 PM
AlblineLex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cydalLS
That would be top dollar amount with less than 100k IMO. For that I would say I would pay 10.5k
that's where I wanna be at. were close to that # now
Old 03-20-19, 09:24 PM
AlblineLex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TriC
It sounds like a great car that is wildly over-priced unless the Hawaiian market is markedly different from the mainland. $9000 is about the high end due to the mileage IMHO.
sorry im not in Hawaii anymore im in the Las Vegas area
Old 03-21-19, 06:45 AM
BigBoomer
Instructor

Received 238 Likes on 194 Posts

Different market I know, but last year I paid UKP 4400 (US$5800) for my 2004 facelift with 91k miles and all in pretty good condition.
I have needed to replace an O2 sensor and the Sub and will be doing the rear door lock this weekend, but otherwise she is good.
Sounds heavily overpriced to me, but markets differ.
Old 03-21-19, 08:17 AM
Vantage007
Pit Crew

Received 116 Likes on 50 Posts

So my post-facelift 2004 Ultra has a little bit more mileage than this one (150k when I bought it, approx), but had two brand new sets of tires, a brand new suspension, brand new brakes, spark plugs, and a lot of routine maintenance. It had also never seen a winter and was absolutely immaculate. I bought it in October, six months ago, for about $4k USD. I was getting a great deal at that point, but I still think with no TB replacement (the parts aren't the value, the labor is!), $10.5k is a bit on the high side for your car.

Even still, I think if you have the money to spend and are picky but particularly love this specific car, a few thousand extra today won't matter in the long run if you keep it for many years. I wholly plan to keep my Ultra for at least another 7-10 years, so it really wouldn't have mattered to me even if I'd spent double what I did. I spent $4k, but at $8k I'd have been just as happy.
Old 03-21-19, 08:26 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Next oil change is irrelevant, change it immediately. I don't even reset my main reminder because I don't do 5k changes, and the information setting on the nav screen is done by me, at 6,500.

The car itself sounds ok, but 13k would have been fair back in 2014. I'd say $8,500 is about right. To get back to reality, drive it in to Carmax and get an on the spot price. Probably less than $8,500. kbb says $6,600 assuming excellent condition.
Old 03-21-19, 08:49 AM
NetG
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

asking price is way too high. maybe if it had like...zero miles and sat on the showroom up to today...even in supreme excellent condition that's still several thousand too much and you WILL be able to find another one in similar condition but more appropriately priced. Not worth it at all
kbb is your friend

hell for 13k you could get a newer lexus easily and in good shape with under 100k miles...seriously...WAY overpriced
Old 03-21-19, 01:08 PM
AlblineLex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NetG
asking price is way too high. maybe if it had like...zero miles and sat on the showroom up to today...even in supreme excellent condition that's still several thousand too much and you WILL be able to find another one in similar condition but more appropriately priced. Not worth it at all
kbb is your friend

hell for 13k you could get a newer lexus easily and in good shape with under 100k miles...seriously...WAY overpriced
all the ultras I've came across in similar conditions have been up there in price. im hoping to get in this around 10-11k.
Old 03-21-19, 01:55 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

I happen to agree that the price is way out of line. If indeed the prices are higher do to the Geo Area, you still will have to consider reaching into your pocket for additional monies for repairs that you will only find after ownership. With those miles, comes additional expenses (some of which are high) added to the strong price you are considering. If you are paying top dollar, remember the car is still 14 years old. As previously mentioned, and regardless of the location, for a car with those miles and being a UL $8000-$8500 is all the money IMHO. . Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Old 03-21-19, 05:00 PM
AlblineLex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
I happen to agree that the price is way out of line. If indeed the prices are higher do to the Geo Area, you still will have to consider reaching into your pocket for additional monies for repairs that you will only find after ownership. With those miles, comes additional expenses (some of which are high) added to the strong price you are considering. If you are paying top dollar, remember the car is still 14 years old. As previously mentioned, and regardless of the location, for a car with those miles and being a UL $8000-$8500 is all the money IMHO. . Good luck and let us know how you make out.
I can't find any in this condition that are around that price range, where else could I look?

Quick Reply: Opinions on Possible Purchase