LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Platinum Lexus Warranty. 3/36 on an 04? What...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-19, 06:18 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by BCT
lmao I can not understand how one can brag about how many repairs his car have under warranty. That just does not make sense to brag that the car is an unreliable POS. I like to have warranty, but I prefer not to use that warranty. I rather be driving the car instead of taking it to the dealer, regardless if the warranty cover the repair or not. I do not enjoy wasting my time.

I know people who is like this too. "It is ok because the problems are covered by warranty" umm no, it is not ok because that is a new car. It should not have problems. smh - facepalm
His logic was the warranty may have cost him $3500, but the repairs amounted to nearly $16k or something like that, so he made out.

What I've realized since I did buy these things 2X, is yes, I got peace of mind. So when my wife's car died last summer, I hadn't any care in the world. Turned out to be the alternator, and using that repairpal website, it was a $1000+ job. So at that instant, it was not painful. But I paid to avoid that pain and avert risk. And overall, it is not worth it. Nor is auto insurance for that matter, but we are required to have it by law. Think about the many years we have paid for insurance, and then look at how they paid out $0. That's what makes it a business that is profitable, outside of fraud....
Old 02-19-19, 10:31 AM
bradland
Forum Moderator

Received 692 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
His logic was the warranty may have cost him $3500, but the repairs amounted to nearly $16k or something like that, so he made out.

What I've realized since I did buy these things 2X, is yes, I got peace of mind. So when my wife's car died last summer, I hadn't any care in the world. Turned out to be the alternator, and using that repairpal website, it was a $1000+ job. So at that instant, it was not painful. But I paid to avoid that pain and avert risk. And overall, it is not worth it. Nor is auto insurance for that matter, but we are required to have it by law. Think about the many years we have paid for insurance, and then look at how they paid out $0. That's what makes it a business that is profitable, outside of fraud....
This reminds me of modern day healthcare/big pharma! An alternator can be swapped out, in most cars, in about 30 min and $20 worth of brushes probably would have fixed it...
Old 02-19-19, 11:08 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by bradland
This reminds me of modern day healthcare/big pharma! An alternator can be swapped out, in most cars, in about 30 min and $20 worth of brushes probably would have fixed it...
The other thing on that job? The SA said we highly recommend a serpentine belt replacement, for another $175. The burning smell you experienced was the belt when the alternator seized.

I said ok but how much of that is labor? $115. Yeah, but the belt is already out as part of the job? If you charge me for the part only, ok, but if not, then use the old one. lol SA never called back, they are in fact real jerks. In PA, you can inspect your car 2 mos. early, so if it expires in April, you can inspect Feb, Mar, or Apr. We did it early and they put the the wrong month on. Ours expired Sept., it was July, and they put an Aug. sticker. I told them they got it wrong, and they insisted no they didn't, even didn't care when I showed them a pic before dropping off the car hahahahahahaha

Yeah even though a GM car, the alternator is made by Denso in the USA....quite pricey....

Pharma? An ex g/f flew to Australia first class routinely to the tune of 18-20k per trip. Can you now see how if these people work for govt., they don't see anything wrong with spending?