LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

what would you replace your LS430 with?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-19, 07:33 AM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Well... if I want to splurge, a used LS500.

Most likely, depending when this happened (this year or we talking about 5 years from now), I would get another 430 or 460/460L. I am very interested to get 600h but part of it because I want to annoy my Prius driving friends who gives me a hard time for driving a v8. See I am driving a hybrid too lol!

I would really like to have the longer version of the LS (460 or 600), but I need to seriously measure my garage before buying one to make sure it will fit fine.

Genesis is a good alternative, I would have to do some research and drive it. Cadillac, BMW or MB is definitely a no for me....
Old 02-11-19, 07:43 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by BCT
Well... if I want to splurge, a used LS500.

Most likely, depending when this happened (this year or we talking about 5 years from now), I would get another 430 or 460/460L. I am very interested to get 600h but part of it because I want to annoy my Prius driving friends who gives me a hard time for driving a v8. See I am driving a hybrid too lol!

I would really like to have the longer version of the LS (460 or 600), but I need to seriously measure my garage before buying one to make sure it will fit fine.

Genesis is a good alternative, I would have to do some research and drive it. Cadillac, BMW or MB is definitely a no for me....
What I find really strange about the LS500, was yes I drove it and yes I find it unattractive. But the interior is only 99 or 97 cu. ft. That is the same as my 1998 Maxima--it's not a large car by any stretch of the imagination. Contrast it to the current S550 or A8L, which are around 112. Not even in the ballpark. I believe our LS430s are 107. That's why I think the LS500 is more of a Mazda 6 with a huge price tag. I have to admit when I found out how much a S550 brake rotor costs it makes me wonder if it's even worth it. Why not get a Porsche. lol
Old 02-11-19, 08:03 AM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 157 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
What I find really strange about the LS500, was yes I drove it and yes I find it unattractive. But the interior is only 99 or 97 cu. ft. That is the same as my 1998 Maxima--it's not a large car by any stretch of the imagination. Contrast it to the current S550 or A8L, which are around 112. Not even in the ballpark. I believe our LS430s are 107. That's why I think the LS500 is more of a Mazda 6 with a huge price tag. I have to admit when I found out how much a S550 brake rotor costs it makes me wonder if it's even worth it. Why not get a Porsche. lol
The trunk is small too. Which makes me wonder, why is the car so big? It's the same length as the old 460L version, and that interior is huge. How did they design a car that big with so little interior space and so little truck space. Just a strange design.
Old 02-11-19, 08:06 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bob04
The trunk is small too. Which makes me wonder, why is the car so big? It's the same length as the old 460L version, and that interior is huge. How did they design a car that big with so little interior space and so little truck space. Just a strange design.
I had a brand new Impala rental earlier this year, and if I didn't think of it, I kept hitting my head on the door opening. I don't it, do we need to lose brain cells for the sake of styling?! Or give up space? I think the S550 and A8L are both stylish, but huge by sedan standards....
Old 02-11-19, 09:59 AM
Ricklin
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

That's the first thing that hit me climbing in to my new to me LS, darn there is a lot of room in here. I do love that.

My LS replaced my trusty Prius, with the current Prius @ 325 K and the one prior @ 75 K when it was totaled. Thus I have 400 K in Prius since 07.

Am loving the room, and esp. loving the quiet. I will not be going back to Prius, but a hybrid Lexus is intriguing. I have had zero issues with hybrid technology. It sure works.

I'm sure a big chunk of real estate is consumed by the hybrid battery pack. Prius was designed around the battery pack. I will miss the fuel mileage, and that is all I will miss.
Old 02-11-19, 10:21 PM
BCT
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bob04
Well that is no good if the interior and trunk is small. One of the big reason we bought the LS is for long distance trips. I think our old Avalon has 16 cu ft.

Trunk size (cu ft):
LS500: 16.95
LS460: 18 (model without the rear seat upgrade)
LS430: 20 (not UL model)
Old 02-12-19, 07:22 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

I would only get something super reliable again and had been entertaining the LX460. I test drove one a month ago. It’s a very refined truck. Drives and handles like a truck. I’m also not crazy about the look. Borderline ugly ( not to offend any owners) and I only have myself to haul around most of the time. Who needs all those seats?? Once again I have nothing out there that intrigues me to replace my old timer.
Old 02-12-19, 08:16 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
I would only get something super reliable again and had been entertaining the LX460. I test drove one a month ago. It’s a very refined truck. Drives and handles like a truck. I’m also not crazy about the look. Borderline ugly ( not to offend any owners) and I only have myself to haul around most of the time. Who needs all those seats?? Once again I have nothing out there that intrigues me to replace my old timer.
On the car chat forum one of the folks has a 2010 LX570 and it sounds totally reliable (he's had it 3 yrs. and put 50k miles). Do you mean GX460? I can't keep up with all the numbers as they routinely climb for the same vehicle. With the GX, I don't like it at all, as I believe the basic vehicle is made for 3rd world countries under different names, then dressed up as a Lexus. Maybe it's a Fortuner or Prado not sure.

I think what you may want is the new Ford Explorer, the police version can sustain a 75 mph rear end collision and it can do 150 mph....just seems like it's advanced...
Old 02-12-19, 08:50 AM
BCT
Advanced

On the car chat forum one of the folks has a 2010 LX570 and it sounds totally reliable (he's had it 3 yrs. and put 50k miles). Do you mean GX460? I can't keep up with all the numbers as they routinely climb for the same vehicle. With the GX, I don't like it at all, as I believe the basic vehicle is made for 3rd world countries under different names, then dressed up as a Lexus. Maybe it's a Fortuner or Prado not sure.

I think what you may want is the new Ford Explorer, the police version can sustain a 75 mph rear end collision and it can do 150 mph....just seems like it's advanced...
The LX570 is the Lexus version of Land Cruiser. I think the GX460 is the Lexus version of 4Runner or Prado. I am not liking the idea of GX460 rear gate that open like a door. I have a Land Cruiser, and we really like how the rear gate is two piece - one half opens up, and another half opens down like a tailgate in a truck. We spent a lot of time sitting on the tailgate (at park, having meals, etc). It is like a park bench for us.

Land Cruiser or the LX is great, except it gets 15 mpg. Kinda sucks when you need to drive long distance.
Old 02-12-19, 10:44 AM
potaijee
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just bought my first LS, and I come from the demographic where I won't spend more than 10k on a vehicle. Been driving basic commuters all my life (I upgraded from an elantra), but decided an LS was worth it since it is now the same price as a 2012 civic, despite the higher operating costs. If I'm on the same budget for my next vehicle (<10k) I honestly can't think of another vehicle that offers as much as the LS in terms of comfort, performance, reliability, amenities, build quality, features, etc. Even a modern 30k car won't have cooled seats, or provide the same level of comfort, let alone build quality.

In making my LS last as long as possible, I'd ideally get an electric car to complement the LS. It can be more of a daily, while the LS becomes the special occasion/weekend drive. It'll offer what the LS doesn't: minimal operating costs, zippy drive, and all the modern tech. This way both cars can be used optimally and for different purposes.
Old 02-12-19, 03:11 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Thanks for the correction.......Yes I meant the GX460.......These letters and numbers are driving me crazy! What really gets me nuts is what Infiniti keeps doing with their model letter and number changes. Insane!!!! Even the sales people can't keep up with the various models. Unfortunately most of the car manufacturers are going the same route with models having very little correlation to the car or it's engine.
Old 02-12-19, 03:31 PM
BCT
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Thanks for the correction.......Yes I meant the GX460.......These letters and numbers are driving me crazy! What really gets me nuts is what Infiniti keeps doing with their model letter and number changes. Insane!!!! Even the sales people can't keep up with the various models. Unfortunately most of the car manufacturers are going the same route with models having very little correlation to the car or it's engine.
Totally. I wonder why Lexus has this letter and numbers for their model, but Toyota has names: Avalon, Camry, Land Cruiser. So much easier to remember with the names... or I am getting too old for this lol
Old 02-12-19, 04:17 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ls430w140
Range Rover sport. (Minus 100 to reliability lol)
When I was car shopping I had narrowed it down to a 2014 RRS or 2013 LS. We went with the LS and I later met someone in our neighborhood that happened to work at the Jaguar/Land Rover service department and he said I "made the right choice to go with the LS". I am not a fan of SUVs but RRS, why couldn't you be reliable??
Old 02-12-19, 05:02 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by BCT
Totally. I wonder why Lexus has this letter and numbers for their model, but Toyota has names: Avalon, Camry, Land Cruiser. So much easier to remember with the names... or I am getting too old for this lol
It was because Toyota was going after the Mercedes and BMW markets with their "new" Lexus brand in 1989. Mercedes and BMW were. and still are, using numeric/alphabetic model designations. Lots of Mercedes owners like me switched to Lexus as soon as they were introduced to the U.S. The Mercedes I traded in on my first Lexus LS400 in early 1990 was rusting so badly that I could not in good conscience sell it. A Lexus dealership salesman bought my trade-in Mercedes and drove it for a while. It's hard to believe I was so thin at age 39 back in early 1990.

The following users liked this post:
BCT (02-13-19)
Old 02-13-19, 09:33 PM
cbrkat28
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a question I've been thinking about for around 10 years (when my uncle took delivery of an '08 LS460 which we know weren't perfect) so before I even got my 430 I accepted there wouldn't be another...as much as I love the EZ-close doors (a concept that almost everyone that's been a passenger doesn't seem to fully understand) and a ride smooth enough to make heavy traffic bearable, I don't need a car this old with this many more things to go wrong. That all having been said, a GS-F (currently beyond my budget) that didn't have red interior would be awesome, but not a realistic option. so within the Lexus line a GS F-sport or possibly an RX350...The GX-470 has a notorious driveshaft problem, and also the DRL's are the turn signals so those bulbs go out quite often and are not easy or quick to replace. Another Beetle would be fun, but that's a toy not a daily driver...What has 3 pedals, a tolerable ride, and a enough power to pass slow moving traffic? That's not a rhetorical question, I'm genuinely asking.

Quick Reply: what would you replace your LS430 with?