LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Braking issues after ABS lockup on ice

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-18, 09:00 AM
Jkallinen
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Braking issues after ABS lockup on ice

My 2002 LS430 had to stop hard on some ice and now braking the car after this, is like the back end wants to come around to right when braking and handles
squirrely. It does not brake evenly like it use to and when stopping now from cruising speed a frightful experience when slowing down. Any ideas what might have
happened. Car brakes are new, so I am guessing a ABS module failure of some sorts.
Old 12-18-18, 09:15 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

Sounds like a sticky brake caliper. Have it checked out.
Old 12-19-18, 05:16 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I don't know the LS430 specifically, but I know my Maxima ABS a little, and my BMW ABS in detail.

There are two parts to the ABS, the pump, and the module, at least on the German cars. If either fails, the ABS system is disabled, as indicated by a yellow warning on the dash. True on Maxima.

The vehicle does not brake any differently with a failed ABS system, i.e. at least where I live, it does not fail a state safety inspection. The only difference is there is no ABS and the car behaves like a car without ABS.

On my Maxima, due to age, I had a RF caliper that was sticking. I replaced the caliper and to my surprise, 100% the same. Replaced the hose and it was normal again. From my research online, rubber hoses deteriorate, and a piece can break inside, acting like a one-way valve. Fluid can be pumped into the caliper, but it doesn't drain out properly when the pressure is released.

Unless there is a warning indicator on the dash, I would think it's probably another component besides ABS...good luck.
Old 12-19-18, 11:18 AM
caddylover
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I don't know the LS430 specifically, but I know my Maxima ABS a little, and my BMW ABS in detail.

There are two parts to the ABS, the pump, and the module, at least on the German cars. If either fails, the ABS system is disabled, as indicated by a yellow warning on the dash. True on Maxima.

The vehicle does not brake any differently with a failed ABS system, i.e. at least where I live, it does not fail a state safety inspection. The only difference is there is no ABS and the car behaves like a car without ABS.

On my Maxima, due to age, I had a RF caliper that was sticking. I replaced the caliper and to my surprise, 100% the same. Replaced the hose and it was normal again. From my research online, rubber hoses deteriorate, and a piece can break inside, acting like a one-way valve. Fluid can be pumped into the caliper, but it doesn't drain out properly when the pressure is released.

Unless there is a warning indicator on the dash, I would think it's probably another component besides ABS...good luck.
I had the same problem with my Z71 front brake. Was sticking and rotor was hot as hell when i stopped, you could smell the pad burning. I pulled the caliper off and lubed it all up. Tried pushing piston back in and it was stuck. Opened bleeder valve and it moved. Something was blocking the fluid from going back into the reservoir. Ended up being the brake line. Replaced it and it works perfectly.
Old 12-19-18, 11:50 AM
Jkallinen
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you for giving me some direction as to where to fix this. No ABS lights have shown. But do get and occasional Brake light come on the dash for
the emergency brakes. I just pull the release handle quick and it goes away. Don`t think it has anything to do with it. Will have to jack it up and check the
front wheels to see witch one is sticking and also check the lower ball joints.