LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2003 ls430 only one key and not recognized

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-18, 01:17 PM
ursnicu
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation 2003 ls430 only one key and not recognized

Hello everybody, I found an2003 Ls430 for sale, UL but no Mark Levinson, it is in bad shape, i want it as a project car to be restored, but low mileage 70k miles,only 1500$ the problem is the car is being sold as is, it has only one key, that it is opening the doors with the metal part only, remote not working, when in the ignition it won't turn the key and displayes "key not recognised" , the car battery it was dead, used jumper cables to power up. What can I do, at least to see if the car starts before buying. Thank you all.

Last edited by ursnicu; 12-05-18 at 02:22 AM.
Old 12-05-18, 04:05 PM
EZCarKeys
Former Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you in the US? Your kind of describing a proximity key system, but I don't think the LS430 had it until 3004 model year, so something's off. Maybe try reprogramming the key?
Old 12-06-18, 03:31 AM
ursnicu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by EZCarKeys
Are you in the US? Your kind of describing a proximity key system, but I don't think the LS430 had it until 3004 model year, so something's off. Maybe try reprogramming the key?
Thanks for the reply, I am in Spain, yes it is an proximity key, for this model year I also was surprised, the car it has the proximity door handels and the key hole is the rectangular plastic like models after 2004, I just want to know if it is a way to reprogam the key without taking it to a shop, and as I can imagine this key is from the car since it is cut to shape and it is not new, the remote only has 2 buttons on it, no trunk release, and at one time it was working I suppose. Let me know if there is some method to reprogam it on the car, thank you.

Old 12-06-18, 06:45 AM
EZCarKeys
Former Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The vehicle saying "key not recognized" indicates to me that the proximity function is not working. But with the key not having a trunk button, it means you have a valet key. Valet keys do not have proximity functions. Have you tried inserting the fob into the ignition? Doing it that way utilizes a transponder chip. Also, on the dash, to the left of the steering wheel should be 2 lights. One red light for the transponder portion of the system. One green light for the proximity system. For a valet key, you want to observe the red light's behavior. Hopefully this helps you with diagnosis. There is also a prox disable button on the dash below the steering wheel, but if all you have is a valet key, then it's doesn't matter much, other than being a possibility of why the battery died. The proximity system should be disabled if the vehicle is going to sit for an extended period of time.

All the above is true on a model made for sale within the USA. Models made for other markets can be slightly different.
The following users liked this post:
ursnicu (12-07-18)
Old 12-07-18, 08:44 AM
ursnicu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by EZCarKeys
The vehicle saying "key not recognized" indicates to me that the proximity function is not working. But with the key not having a trunk button, it means you have a valet key. Valet keys do not have proximity functions. Have you tried inserting the fob into the ignition? Doing it that way utilizes a transponder chip. Also, on the dash, to the left of the steering wheel should be 2 lights. One red light for the transponder portion of the system. One green light for the proximity system. For a valet key, you want to observe the red light's behavior. Hopefully this helps you with diagnosis. There is also a prox disable button on the dash below the steering wheel, but if all you have is a valet key, then it's doesn't matter much, other than being a possibility of why the battery died. The proximity system should be disabled if the vehicle is going to sit for an extended period of time.

All the above is true on a model made for sale within the USA. Models made for other markets can be slightly different.

Somebody, just please tell me if there is or not a way to reprogam the key to the car, this is all I need. Just a plain answer, and if there is a way, please let me know, thank you all for the support.
Old 12-07-18, 09:02 AM
02Legend
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

I have programmed a new key using Techstream. You will need a cable to talk from a computer to the car. It will have to be programmed for the wireless functions (button presses) and also the steering (don't remember what exactly is was called) so you can turn the ignition and start the car. You can try that and see what happens.
ursnicu (12-07-18)
Old 12-07-18, 09:06 AM
ursnicu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 02Legend
I have programmed a new key using Techstream. You will need a cable to talk from a computer to the car. It will have to be programmed for the wireless functions (button presses) and also the steering (don't remember what exactly is was called) so you can turn the ignition and start the car. You can try that and see what happens.
Hi, can you please elaborate that, in the best of detail that you can, step by step, if it is ok with you. Explain it to me like to a fool😁. Thank you.
Old 12-07-18, 09:53 AM
02Legend
Intermediate

Techstream is the proprietary software used for Lexus, Scion and Toyota. I can't link anything here, but you can download it and find instructions to use on personal computer (32 bit is recommended). You will need a Mini VCI cable to communicate from your PC to the car. This is the one I use and have not had a problem:
Amazon Amazon

I can take a look tonight when I get home on my PC to get some steps in regards to Techstream. It's been a while since I have used it. When I first tried using Techstream I found a lot of videos online on how to program keys, but I vaguely remember that you will need a master key. If so, I apologize if I got your hopes up. I will take a look tonight and get back to you.
ursnicu (12-07-18)
Old 12-08-18, 08:59 PM
02Legend
Intermediate

I haven't forgotten, I just can't find my cable. I recently just moved into a new house and still digging through my tools and electronics.
ursnicu (12-13-18)
Old 12-10-18, 07:10 PM
02Legend
Intermediate

I use Techstream version 10.10.018, and it's what I have been using to change settings and and keys. This is very quick right up of what I just did in my own car. I did not go through the steps again 100% as I did not need to and just wanted to give you a quick understanding.

This part is to only add the wireless functions of the key.

Photo 1 is just the opening screen once you connect you PC with Techstream to your vehicle and it verifies the vehicle and info.

Photo 2 is the main window once you are connected to your vehicle. Notice how Smart Key is highlighted. You can either double click on it to open the next window or click once to highlight and then click the green arrow in the bottom right corner.

Photo 3 is after you have opened the Smart Key window. Click on Utility to open the next window for options.

Photo 4 is to add the new key(s) wireless functions (lock, unlock doors, etc.). Double click on Key Code Registration or single click and the click on the green arrow in the bottom right corner to proceed.

Photo 5 is a prompt prior to starting the process of adding the new key. Click next.

Photo 6 tells you how many keys are currently programmed to the vehicle and how many open slots are available. Once you click on next, all you need to do is follow the onscreen directions.
Attached Thumbnails 2003 ls430 only one key and not recognized-1_connect-to-vehicle.bmp   2003 ls430 only one key and not recognized-2_main-window_select-smart-key.bmp   2003 ls430 only one key and not recognized-3_click-on-utility.bmp   2003 ls430 only one key and not recognized-4_select-key-code-registration.bmp   2003 ls430 only one key and not recognized-5_registration-prompt.bmp  

2003 ls430 only one key and not recognized-6_follow-on-screen-prompts.bmp  
ursnicu (12-13-18)
Old 12-10-18, 07:20 PM
02Legend
Intermediate

This part is for programming the key to the ignition.

Photo 1
is the main window again, but with Steering Lock highlighted. Single click to highlight it, click on the green arrow in the bottom right corner or double click to open the next menu.

Photo 2 is the next window where you need to click on Utility to open the next window.

Photo 3 is a welcome prompt to start the process of adding the key to the ignition.

Photo 4 is the window of the process starting. Follow the onscreen directions from here.

The last time I programmed my key was easily over a year and a half ago. These were the steps I used and had to do in order to get a new key to work with my car. There is a note that says you will need a master key if you attempt to erase all the keys stored. I hope I did not make it confusing.
Attached Thumbnails 2003 ls430 only one key and not recognized-1_main-window_steering-lock.bmp   2003 ls430 only one key and not recognized-2_click-on-utility.bmp   2003 ls430 only one key and not recognized-3_double-click-key-registration.bmp   2003 ls430 only one key and not recognized-4_follow-prompts.bmp  
ursnicu (12-13-18)
Old 12-12-18, 04:11 AM
ursnicu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 02Legend
This part is for programming the key to the ignition.

Photo 1
is the main window again, but with Steering Lock highlighted. Single click to highlight it, click on the green arrow in the bottom right corner or double click to open the next menu.

Photo 2 is the next window where you need to click on Utility to open the next window.

Photo 3 is a welcome prompt to start the process of adding the key to the ignition.

Photo 4 is the window of the process starting. Follow the onscreen directions from here.

The last time I programmed my key was easily over a year and a half ago. These were the steps I used and had to do in order to get a new key to work with my car. There is a note that says you will need a master key if you attempt to erase all the keys stored. I hope I did not make it confusing.

Thank you, I will try to do what you have'd explained yo me, I will keep you informed if it has worked in my case. Thank you again.
Old 12-31-18, 06:17 AM
ursnicu
Driver School Candidate

Default Discarded this one and got an 2004 UL

I have discarded this project car, because I have found what I was really looking for, an 2004 LS430 UL, great condition, cpo car, 1 owner, serviced by Lexus all the time, 180k miles, with very minor wear. Bought it the day before Christmas. 6100€(6985$).
just love it. And once again thank you all for the support.