LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Inspection Ideas - Buying a car

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-18, 09:46 AM
OliveTree
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Inspection Ideas - Buying a car

I have identified a couple of cars in my area. One at a small dealership and one from a private party. I'm not a mechanic and I don't have a mechanic who can come with me to inspect the cars.

What other options do I have to have the car inspected? Can I bring it to a local mechanic for an inspection? Will the dealer agree to that?

How have others dealt with this?
Old 11-15-18, 09:53 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by peacock
I have identified a couple of cars in my area. One at a small dealership and one from a private party. I'm not a mechanic and I don't have a mechanic who can come with me to inspect the cars.

What other options do I have to have the car inspected? Can I bring it to a local mechanic for an inspection? Will the dealer agree to that?
If dealer does not agree to that, drop it.

How have others dealt with this?
In my local area AMA insurance provides vehicle inspection service to members. I'd prefer to deal with a dealer if possible. In case something happens after purchase
they are in better position to deal with it. The dealer should have a inspection report for your review. Getting hold of official CPO vehicle might be a better idea.

Old 11-15-18, 10:19 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

Only after checking Carfax and a vehicle's service history through the Lexus website, is a third-party inspection in order. The are multiple inspection options. Reaching out for a knowledgeable ClubLexus member for help is one way. Another is taking the car to a Lexus dealership (though not one that has previously serviced the car) or a well regarded mechanic. A third way is by hiring Lemon Squad.

If a seller (dealer or private) shows any reluctance whatsoever about a third-party inspection, that is your cue to run.
Old 11-15-18, 11:31 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

Carfax misses tons of stuff (at least for Canadian cars, and at least as of 5-9 years ago). CarProof works better for Canada. Neither are good for telling you about the mechanical upkeep or projected reliability. Only service records and an in-person inspection by someone who knows the LS430 very well can tell you what problems may arise.

Lexus dealerships can be reluctant to share service records on a car you don't own. Even a dealer in Ottawa wouldn't share the records for the car that I do fully own, citing privacy issues since the maintenance was done by the previous owner, at another Lexus dealership in another city. I already had the records from the original dealership, but it was a blurry copy supplied by the used car dealer, and I wanted a proper printout from my local Lexus.

Your 2 options, the way I see it:
1) Find a ClubLexus LS430 owner near where this car is located, perhaps someone here will volunteer to check it out for you. New York is too far for me!
2) Insist on having a Lexus (not Toyota) dealership do a full inspection on the car, and get a printed report. Techs at Toyota typically are not very familiar with the LS430, whereas Lexus dealerships see a lot of them.
Old 11-15-18, 01:36 PM
TominPT
Advanced

Received 214 Likes on 169 Posts

I bought my car a year ago @ 110K miles without a pre-purchase inspection -- ordinarily I would have done that at an independent shop familiar with this vehicle. I did not do it in my situation because 1) I had verified that ALL requirement maintenance was performed on schedule at a Lexus dealer since new. 2) I did my own inspection and took it for a thorough test drive and noticed no issues, noises or other concerns with any of the equipment on the car, everything worked as designed, and 3) its a 2005, not a UL, and the reliability and longevity of this car is a demonstrated fact. Immediately after purchasing the car I had the independent shop I had in mind do an oil change, and they did a complimentary inspection of the entire vehicle from top to bottom and only item indicated needing attention was the power steering fluid "should be flushed" (actually that is probably not correct, it was flushed 25 K miles and 3 years ago by Lexus and the fluid is clean).
Old 11-15-18, 02:18 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Check out Post #2 on the link below for an official Lexus inspection form/checklist...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-ls-430-a.html
Old 11-15-18, 02:24 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

It is important to have any used car inspected before purchase. Especially critical is to get the car up on a lift and check brakes, wheels, suspension parts, look for oil and fluid leaks, check for previous damage and repairs, missing parts, previous weird mods, and check for significant rust on the car from below. Ideally the inspection can be performed at nearby Lexus or Toyota dealer, but a good independent shop (with certified techs) can also do a good job. Cost is usually $100-150 and well worth it. If the dealer or private seller balks at inspection before purchase walk away from the car.

Not too long ago, I purchased a car for a family member without pre-purchase inspection (because I was in a hurry and it had a clean Carfax) and later discovered the car had been in a minor accident and had paint/repair work (well done but still...). Not the end of the world, but I know for sure I overpaid for the car given that it had previous accident and paint work.