water in trunk L/h side near fuse jb

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-18, 08:52 PM
lexdemting
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default water in trunk L/h side near fuse jb

Hey guys as the title says
I found some water in the trunk on driver side near fuse box and right below trunk vent. Has this happen to anyone else? is there suppose to be a drain there incase water gets into that area? Is this a sign of clogged sunroof drain hose? how would you guys go about clearing them? compressed air from sunroof area or from bottom of car. I can see the front ones holes from the sunroof but as for the rear I can't.
Old 10-09-18, 04:59 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Sorry not familiar with our LS, but on my Maxima, there was a power antenna drain hose that joined the sunroof drain, and that Y would break over years due to corrosion, leaving a pool of water in the wheel well. This is why if not caught, you would see Maximas with paint bubbling from the inside, out, on the rear right quarter panel. Would be interested to know how this happens with our cars....good luck.
Old 10-09-18, 01:50 PM
billy3110
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It happened to me.Water was running down the side of the trunk lid opening, under the plastic, into the tail light and then into the trunk on that left hand side. To test this, get a glass of water, open the trunk and pour the water into the the left trough of the trunk opening up near the window(being careful not to pour it into the trunk) then watch the water flow. I filled the void under the plastic with black caulking and no more water intrusion.
Old 10-09-18, 08:10 PM
lexdemting
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Found a grommet not pushed into place on the driver side right near the tail light. Poured water right near trunk lift strut and saw water pouring into the grommet. Re-inserted grommet, water test carried out, no fault found. Hope its a good fix. FYI you guys prob already know this, when removing the left and right trunk panels you can get access to the rear sunroof drain lines including the drain elbows to which the hoses are connected to. While I had it all apart, I took the opportunity to disconnect the hoses from the elbows and shoot low psi air to confirm no blockage. Also shot low psi air into front drains. Water tested all 4 drains, nice drainage near wheels, no leaks observed otherwise in the cabin nor the trunk fuse box area. Wish me luck guys.
Old 10-09-18, 09:31 PM
bradland

Received 651 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by lexdemting
Found a grommet not pushed into place on the driver side right near the tail light. Poured water right near trunk lift strut and saw water pouring into the grommet. Re-inserted grommet, water test carried out, no fault found. Hope its a good fix. FYI you guys prob already know this, when removing the left and right trunk panels you can get access to the rear sunroof drain lines including the drain elbows to which the hoses are connected to. While I had it all apart, I took the opportunity to disconnect the hoses from the elbows and shoot low psi air to confirm no blockage. Also shot low psi air into front drains. Water tested all 4 drains, nice drainage near wheels, no leaks observed otherwise in the cabin nor the trunk fuse box area. Wish me luck guys.
Any chance you could post a pic of where the 4 hoses drain to? I'm not asking you to take the car apart again but a general vicinity "you'll find it under here..." pic would be very helpful.

Last edited by bradland; 10-09-18 at 10:00 PM.