LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Restoring the paint - question

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-18, 08:18 AM
KAHUNA
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pmesfun
Clay barring an entire vehicle only takes 10 minutes, at least for me. A necessary step before using any compound to remove swirls or scratches. Kahuna, look up a professional detailer with good reviews are you area. They should be able to tell with a paint thickness gauge how much correction they can do with still maintaining clear coat protection. You can post a picture of the paint in direct sunlight and we can estimate whether a one step or two step correction is necessary. One step is for light swirls and holograms, then a sealant is applied. Two step is a harder cutting compound and pad and then a fine polish, after a sealant is applied.
Thanks and I will post some pics...believe me it is pretty bad...the swirls are new since the detailing but the scratches are pretty brutal especially since it is black...more like a 4 step process...lol. I have reached out to a few local respected places and will be bringing it by to have a look at. Also going to a local car wrap guy with a stellar rep just for ****s and giggles to see what that would run for a 1 color wrap.
Old 07-16-18, 03:10 AM
Scootymad
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Blacks are s**ts of colours to maintain, and its also a bugger of a colour to cut properly. I spent a full day flatting, cutting and polishing a Jerezschwarz E90 M3, and I still could have done more, but I ran out of time. I used to cut my old Ford Mondeo every year, and polish it every six months, and regularly wax it, and that's really the only way to keep a paint job looking the part (short of using Ceramiclear, which is harder than a coffin nail) and it was painted in premium clear coat.