04 CL - trying to figure out why sunshade is not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-18, 11:01 AM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Default 04 CL - trying to figure out why sunshade is not working

Hey all,
Just took home 04 CL over the weekend, and I notice the rear sunshade is not working. I can push the button and can hear the motor is making noise. I thought I will just leave this for later since there are other maintenance things that I need to do first.

As I am going thru the car from front to back, I notice this gap on both side of the car on C pillar (I think this is C pillar?), right below the rear windshield - see picture. I am thinking that someone did not put the rear shelf correctly, and that is why my sunshade is not working.

Can someone look at their car, and confirm that gap should not be there? I just want to be sure before I start getting the rear seat out and figure things out, I am at least moving in the right direction here.

I can not believe top of the line Lexus will have that gap in the interior piece. I tried finding a picture for comparison, but no luck.

Old 06-13-18, 12:14 PM
pmesfun
Advanced

Received 156 Likes on 104 Posts

Gap shouldn't be there, probably installed incorrectly. That piece should snap into the deck cover. See if you can pull up the shade by hand while someone pushes the button.

I spy a 97? Avalon?? I used to have a 99, sold it with 247K.
The following users liked this post:
BCT (06-13-18)
Old 06-13-18, 12:33 PM
aufenscuht
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If it has DRL then it is a later version, I believe the 98-early 00 had DRL. Had a 97 and absolutely loved it. Got it for a steal with 108k while at AZ a friend suggest I spoke to the guy after I JUST got a 328i at the time and had just put new rear tires on it. Long story short I bought the avalon from the original motor for $800 and it had minor body damage because Hyundai was offering him $500 on the trade.
Old 06-13-18, 01:17 PM
pmesfun
Advanced

They are solid cars. I spent way too much money on mine, mostly audio and dynamat everywhere. Almost as quiet as my LS400 besides wind noise. My dad was the first owner, got it with 120K.

Old 06-13-18, 01:49 PM
BCT
Advanced

Whoa... I did not even realize my 1995 Avalon with 247K miles is in the picture! She is great, still is running strong. I am kinda sad we are replacing her with the LS. I would have keep her forever, but one thing she does not have is safety features, like side impact air bags, so we are upgrading. We have had her since 1999, bought it with 80K miles. I have not replaced anything outside of parts that wear out - brake pads, shocks, starter, bushings, tires.

Thanks for confirming @pmesfun!
Old 06-14-18, 12:21 AM
Mbodall
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by BCT
Whoa... I did not even realize my 1995 Avalon with 247K miles is in the picture!
We have had her since 1999, bought it with 80K miles.
Crap! 80k miles in 3 (maybe 4) years?!? That previous owner did a whole lotta driving... I'd have to imagine that it still drove like brand new (and probably still is close to that) since putting 80k in 3-4 years would have to be almost exclusively highway miles.

As for the sunshade issue, as pmesfun said the gap definitely isn't supposed to be there. When you hit the open/close button, you said you hear the motor making noise... does the motor operate for an extended period of time before stopping? Or does it sound stressed at all like it's being resisted against?
Old 06-14-18, 08:37 PM
BCT
Advanced

RE the motor for the sunshade, I only push the button maybe 2-3 sec, heard the noise, did not see the sunshade goes up. That is all I did, did not touch it anymore for fear of making things worse.

I need to dig in and figure it out soon. My son is sitting in the back and would be nice to have the sunshade up since it is getting hot here, and we are getting ready to go on vacation with lots of driving. I also like to do oil change, tranny drain and fill (bought the fluids today), change rear diff fluids, change cabin filter, and a few other maintenance items. I got most of the materials, just trying to find time is the hardest part between working, family obligations etc. I may just have to suck it up and do it at night after he goes to sleep.

Previous owner of the Avalon was a pharmacy sales person, so lots of driving for sure.
Old 06-14-18, 09:05 PM
pmesfun
Advanced

Try gently pulling it up by hand, not pressing the button. You should be able to pull it up about an inch. 1st generation Avalons are bulletproof, never did a major repair up until I sold it. I believe the 98-99 models had side airbags, at least that what the sticker on the seat said.

Also here's a 97 with 903K.

Old 06-15-18, 04:55 PM
BCT
Advanced

I can not pull the sunshade by hand. It is stuck I just hope it is somehow stuck, not broken...

I was tempted to tackle this, but end up spending some time fixing my center console after work today. Wife is happy that it now works.
Old 06-15-18, 08:33 PM
Mbodall
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by BCT
I can not pull the sunshade by hand. It is stuck I just hope it is somehow stuck, not broken...

I was tempted to tackle this, but end up spending some time fixing my center console after work today. Wife is happy that it now works.
It has to be related to the rear deck panel that's not in the right position. I'm willing to bet that if you get that deck panel seated back where it belongs, your sunshade will work. (hopefully it's not like that because the sunshade actually did break, and the previous owner removed the rear deck panel to check it out, then shoddily put it back because he was mad that it's broken )
Old 06-19-18, 12:45 PM
BCT
Advanced

Wooohoo... got the sunshade to work again. Very cool, I never has a car with rear sunshade.

Previous owner mentioned that they replaced all 4 struts, and whomever did the job, they did it very poorly. One of the nut for the backseat was not attached. Both of the plastic grommets that secure the rear deck was just laying there But it is now done properly, and I am a happy camper.

The struts are Monroe. Currently the LS rides fine, but lets see how long that last. I have had bad experience with Monroe. I kinda wish they did not replace the struts and just lower the price. Just gimme an excuse to put the sport strut and springs lmao
Old 06-19-18, 12:59 PM
JJLS430
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Cool...glad you got it working properly.

Jeff