Opinions on these 2006 LS430s

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-18, 10:56 PM
indigo6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on these 2006 LS430s

Hi All,

First time poster here. I live in California and I'm considering these two LS430s:

From Toyota Dealer
From Lexus Dealer

The car at the Toyota Dealer has a more complete service history. At least as far as the Lexus drivers website is concerned. Neither of them have had their timing belts replaced, although I am considering using that as a bargaining chip. The cars seem overpriced as is.

The Lexus dealer claims that the timing belt os only due at 90k miles. I was under the impression it was 90k miles or 9 years. The one at the Lexus Dealer also had a MAF and O2 sensor replacement at 34k miles, not sure if that is common with these cars or if it could be indicative of future issues. I've attached the service histories, curious to see any input you all have.

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LEXUS.pdf (72.2 KB, 104 views)
File Type: pdf
TOYOTA.pdf (67.5 KB, 82 views)
Old 03-22-18, 04:34 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Winner! I like both. The toyota car has a sport suspension, sweet. the Lexus dealer I find the price to be high--I paid that in Oct. 2016, 81k miles, FLA car. I'm thinking the price should have gone down by 2k?

They look like good specimens as CA cars and no damage known. Toyota dealer is wrong about the belt, but you're dealing with sales I suppose.

Note--when I asked a Lexus dealer to do the timing belt job as part of the sale they said no problem (then I thought how would I know they really did it? Because on the car they were selling were 4 China made generic tires, when the ppwk they emailed me said 4 new Dunlop SPs).

Again, I like both cars, and I would make offers on them if I were in the market. I think the price could be lower, if they won't come down 2k at Lexus, maybe get them down $1400.....

edit: you really will need the TB on either car so budget $850, that should factor into the price unless you can DIY, but my thinking is you're going into it knowing you need something, the dealers should give a little...
Old 03-22-18, 05:50 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

I'm with John... both appear to be great, well cared for vehicles, but priced a bit on the high side. I'm sure in CA, everything is more expensive. Think it boils down to which appeals to you more and stirs your emotions.
Old 03-22-18, 06:54 AM
onthelo
Intermediate

Received 125 Likes on 71 Posts

The Flint Mica one in Fremont is just about the average going rate. To be honest I paid more for mine at the Lexus dealer, it was a one owner trade in with 68k miles. The flint mica is a hard to find color and very saute after although it seems to have cashmere interior and that is not as saute after as black or grey. Just depends what you are looking for. As far as the timing belt it will need to be done if it hasn't. Although the mileage is low the belt gets old due to age and what Lexus told me was 5 years or 60k miles ... so just take that into consideration. The history is nice to have but not always super necc. these cars are very solid and well built. I would plan to give it a complete tune up and service just to give it the once over just for piece of mind. So either way its your personal preference but as far as price it is in the average range for the miles and year and location. I bought mine from Lexus of Pleasanton.
Old 03-22-18, 06:58 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts

Neither has a particularly sterling service history, at least as documented, but at least some maintenance has been done. Here, the fact that a specific repair has been performed should not be considered indicative of a lurking problem. Both are priced as expected given the respective dealerships. To me, the best thing is that each has a limited ownership history with one being a 1 owner car and the other, at worst, a 2 owner.

Unless you're set on getting a sport suspension car, negotiate with both stores (the timing belt is great leverage) and go with the best deal. Be sure to let each know that they are competing with a comparable vehicle for the sale. Good luck!
Old 03-22-18, 07:29 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

btw mine was purchased at 80,xxx. The carfax had a 5k service at Lexus every 5k, for the first 8 yrs. of its life. Then nothing for the last 2 prior to me purchasing it. In my entire ownership since 10/16, the only thing that has gone wrong is the LF corner park assist sensors. Oh, and the indie said I had a weeping rear output shaft seal on my tranny. I have never seen another single person on this forum report that, but tons of talk on the tundra forums with this issue. Thank goodness the indie saw it--because 2 multipoints at Lexus did not uncover it (they wouldn't bother with it I'm sure, too small of a fish).

Don't be alarmed if a Lexus dealer says a 2006 needs $6k worth of work upon a multipoint. This is a money making endeavor, and likely what scared the original owners out of their cars imho. (Of the 6k, indie said the only thing I would suggest is the timing belt/water pump which was $1,400 at Lexus, i.e. 1400/6000).
Old 03-22-18, 06:55 PM
indigo6
Driver School Candidate

Thanks all! Hopefully the owner’s manual is in the car so I can show them the service schedule. Hoping to join the club soon.
Old 03-22-18, 07:17 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 681 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by indigo6
Thanks all! Hopefully the owner’s manual is in the car so I can show them the service schedule. Hoping to join the club soon.
Look on Page 55...
The following users liked this post:
indigo6 (03-22-18)
Old 03-22-18, 07:36 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't think you can go wrong on either one. I would like to have seen the condition of the interior of the Lexus dealer's car. The Toyota car's interior is in great condition. I like both of them.
Old 03-22-18, 08:48 PM
indigo6
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by onthelo
The Flint Mica one in Fremont is just about the average going rate. To be honest I paid more for mine at the Lexus dealer, it was a one owner trade in with 68k miles. The flint mica is a hard to find color and very saute after although it seems to have cashmere interior and that is not as saute after as black or grey. Just depends what you are looking for. As far as the timing belt it will need to be done if it hasn't. Although the mileage is low the belt gets old due to age and what Lexus told me was 5 years or 60k miles ... so just take that into consideration. The history is nice to have but not always super necc. these cars are very solid and well built. I would plan to give it a complete tune up and service just to give it the once over just for piece of mind. So either way its your personal preference but as far as price it is in the average range for the miles and year and location. I bought mine from Lexus of Pleasanton.
I went and looked at the Lexus dealer's car and it was the grey interior. It's honestly not quite as clean as I would have hoped. Why is the grey interior more sought after? Although they wouldn't let me drive it as they weren't done cleaning or inspecting it. I have a 1998 ES300 which had an immaculate interior, so I was expecting more from an 8 year newer car.

How often do Lexus dealers get LS430s? I'm assuming since it's a Lexus dealer it's not an auction specimen.

Last edited by indigo6; 03-22-18 at 08:49 PM. Reason: added a sentence
Old 03-23-18, 08:42 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts

Most LS 430s have the cashmere (tan) interior. For some, an ash interior is preferable due to being different and more rare. Although my '06 has the cashmere interior, I sure do like the look of the ash.

Dealers, Lexus and others, take these cars in frequently although not in great numbers. Just take a look at autotrader.com where there are typically about seventy-five 2006 models for sale at any one time. Prices at Lexus stores are almost invariably the highest on the market.

If it was simply the cleanliness of the interior as opposed to its condition, go back and take another look after the dealer has finished prepping it. Their work can make an amazing difference.
Old 03-23-18, 12:11 PM
rwhartso
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Howdy:

Not sure where you are?

The UL's are REAL special (all kinds of crazy upgrades). Someday, you'll need to change the air shocks. A great change-up is ~$2k.

LOVE our 2004 UL!

Best, RW

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...520895209.html

Old 03-23-18, 06:26 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I think highest %'s of interiors are balck. Get the Sport
Old 03-23-18, 07:13 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Lexus dealers charge highest prices for a 430, but pay the least when you try to trade or sell to them. One dealer told me that "LS430's don't even last a week here." They recently sent me an email asking if I wanted to sell my 02 Ultra with 106,000. I sent them the pics and records log, and their offer was absurd...they even told me "We know our offer is absurd."
Old 03-24-18, 03:29 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mafpolo
Lexus dealers charge highest prices for a 430, but pay the least when you try to trade or sell to them. One dealer told me that "LS430's don't even last a week here." They recently sent me an email asking if I wanted to sell my 02 Ultra with 106,000. I sent them the pics and records log, and their offer was absurd...they even told me "We know our offer is absurd."

I have seen this often, but not always. In Sept. 2016, the dealer near my house had a LS430 for $22k, with 61k. The dealer that I went to maybe 25 miles from my house, had a 2005 for $13,500, with 80k. Carmax had cars all day long in the 17-19k range at that time. Dealers are not always the highest, and they don't necessarily always have perfect specimens (but they often do have ones better than the used car dealers). Sure they are looking for a big margin, more than on a brand new car.

When you say they wanted to know if you were selling your 02, what does that mean? It's a 16 y.o. car? Meaning did you initiate the offer, such as Carmax etc.? If so, then it would make sense, of course the only way they would touch it is to lowball it and wholesale it off. I have never seen a 2002 for sale at a new car dealer....the time should be near when a 2006 is too old and gets wholesaled right off the bat. I believe it's based on appearance--a young kid at my office thought my Lexus was brand new (it's understandable--his generation would not be interested in a grandpa car, remember, these folks have never used a CD and don't know of a world without smartphones). He was not trying to be funny when he said it was a beautiful car and he thought it was brand new. He was passing judgement based on what he saw and likely knowing nothing about Lexus.

Quick Reply: Opinions on these 2006 LS430s