LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2006 LS430 "Non-Air Suspension Overhaul + Rear Subframe R/R" Project

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-18, 09:49 PM
d1ma
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2006 LS430 "Non-Air Suspension Overhaul + Rear Subframe R/R" Project

130k miles, the suspension is starting to make noises, ride comfort is not what it used to be, i'm committed to keeping the car for another 3-5 years and decided to do a suspension overhaul.
now, why the rear subframe? wife hit a curb, bent a control arm, hired a budget mechanic to install megan control arms while i was traveling, he butchered the subframe attempting to cut out the stuck arms... i regret letting someone else work on her.

for the money there's no better driving car, even with a worn out suspension, so -- time for a refresh.

my goal is to get this done in 2-3 weekends, I haven't found too many threads of people overhauling a non-air suspension and hope this helps others... and myself.

here's the parts list from rockauto ($1405.20 w/ shipping and 5% off coupon)
- f & r brake pads + ss hoses
- f & r kyb struts
- parking brake hardware kit + shoes
- f lower balljoint
- f upper & lower control arms
- f & r sway bar bushings + links
- inner & outer tie rods
- engine mounts
- trans mount
- hood & trunk struts

also ordered a subframe from a wrecker: LS430 Rear K Sub Frame 51206-50040 - $225

i realize i'll need a good heap of fresh hardware, will start compiling the list over the next few days.

feeling pretty comfortable about everything except dropping the rear subframe, anticipate running into a few stubborn bolts that'll make the project extra fun.

any tips, links, resources would be greatly appreciated

i'll update the thread with progress.

Last edited by d1ma; 02-06-18 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02-07-18, 08:58 AM
ls430w140
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 113 Posts

Wow...

Sorry to hear that you have to go through this mission. Are you planning to do work DIY?

as for the subframe, don’t forget to check the condition of mounts that are attached to that part which you ordered. There are 4 of them, the rear right is filled with hydraulic fluid to counterbalance the micro movement of sub frame. L

let Me know if you do DIY and get stuck replacing any of the parts you mentioned.
Old 02-07-18, 09:35 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 190 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by d1ma
130k miles, the suspension is starting to make noises, ride comfort is not what it used to be, i'm committed to keeping the car for another 3-5 years and decided to do a suspension overhaul.
now, why the rear subframe? wife hit a curb, bent a control arm, hired a budget mechanic to install megan control arms while i was traveling, he butchered the subframe attempting to cut out the stuck arms... i regret letting someone else work on her.

for the money there's no better driving car, even with a worn out suspension, so -- time for a refresh.

my goal is to get this done in 2-3 weekends, I haven't found too many threads of people overhauling a non-air suspension and hope this helps others... and myself.

- f & r kyb struts
- f lower balljoint
- inner & outer tie rods
- engine mounts
- trans mount
- hood & trunk struts

also ordered a subframe from a wrecker: LS430 Rear K Sub Frame 51206-50040 - $225

i realize i'll need a good heap of fresh hardware, will start compiling the list over the next few days.

feeling pretty comfortable about everything except dropping the rear subframe, anticipate running into a few stubborn bolts that'll make the project extra fun.

I hope you get your money back talking from expereince the rear control arms are super easy it is 2 bolts, if he couldnt get the bolts out he should not work near a car if there stuck you heat up the end 2-3 to with a torch and then use a air hammer and they come right out.
Old 02-07-18, 12:08 PM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

This should make for a fantastic thread. Please take some photos and post as you complete the work. Here's hoping it all goes well..
You near Chicago?
Old 02-09-18, 10:30 AM
bradland
Forum Moderator

Received 693 Likes on 567 Posts

I'm considering the Mevotech lower control arm (CMS113X) as well. Once I realized it includes the large bushing and bracket. I normally favor OEM parts but at that price, without the hassle of pressing bushings in and out, a simple swap is hard to pass up.
Old 02-09-18, 11:49 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 752 Likes on 531 Posts

I'd pass on SS hoses. A properly bled brake system with fresh fluid, quality pads, and quality rotors should be more than sufficient for any kind of braking you will be doing in a car like the LS430.
Old 02-09-18, 01:30 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 190 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Romanova
I'd pass on SS hoses. A properly bled brake system with fresh fluid, quality pads, and quality rotors should be more than sufficient for any kind of braking you will be doing in a car like the LS430.
Agreed if he was going to track his car then that would be a different story.
Old 02-09-18, 02:13 PM
d1ma
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ls430w140
Wow...

Sorry to hear that you have to go through this mission. Are you planning to do work DIY?

as for the subframe, don’t forget to check the condition of mounts that are attached to that part which you ordered. There are 4 of them, the rear right is filled with hydraulic fluid to counterbalance the micro movement of sub frame. L

let Me know if you do DIY and get stuck replacing any of the parts you mentioned.
I'll take pics once I get it early next week, if they're damaged I'll swap them. The frame's coming off a 04 LS with 101k miles and no accident history (allegedly).

Plan is to DIY everything except the alignment, thinking of getting a smart strings alignment system that will be used mainly for the s2k test and tune days in the future... not sure about it yet since the alignment guys I got to now are pretty easy to work with and always cut me a deal.

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
I hope you get your money back talking from expereince the rear control arms are super easy it is 2 bolts, if he couldnt get the bolts out he should not work near a car if there stuck you heat up the end 2-3 to with a torch and then use a air hammer and they come right out.
Man. Tell me about it. I spoke to the police, it's not a criminal case. I can do small claims and it's not even worth it in the end. A reminder of a lesson I already learned... shame on me.

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
This should make for a fantastic thread. Please take some photos and post as you complete the work. Here's hoping it all goes well..
You near Chicago?
Moved to Denver. Gotta update that. Don't want to build false expectations -- I'll try to video this. At the very least some pictures.

Originally Posted by bradland
I'm considering the Mevotech lower control arm (CMS113X) as well. Once I realized it includes the large bushing and bracket. I normally favor OEM parts but at that price, without the hassle of pressing bushings in and out, a simple swap is hard to pass up.
Agreed. I'm also limited on garage space and a press wouldn't help that.

Originally Posted by Romanova
I prefer the linear feel ss lines give, have done it to all my cars in the past, when I saw it was an option from Centric for a few bucks more... why not.

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
Agreed if he was going to track his car then that would be a different story.
I guess it's a preference thing... unless someone knows of a negative to SS lines??

The parts are starting to come in.

For those of you who have experience, since I'll be swapping all of the components over, is it easier to pull the diff, suspension, arms, knuckles, etc... while they're still on the car/subframe? What's the optimal order to do this in?

I anticipate having a few more stubborn bolts and getting a few tools to help.

Diagrams and more parts to come over the weekend.
Old 02-13-18, 05:37 PM
d1ma
Driver School Candidate

Looking for a part site that lets me click on different areas -- will update asap.
Old 02-13-18, 06:14 PM
d1ma
Driver School Candidate

Spent 45 minutes talking to a cali lexus dealer since the local one's closed. So, apparently, 2006 ls430 sounds like 2016 ls460... at least to Steve. He gave me part#'s for the wrong car.

Plan to visit a local dealer tomorrow with diagrams and go through the parts piece by piece and hopefully pick everything I need to start. Maybe wait for shipping on any missing parts.

The remainder of the parts is coming in tomorrow. The plan is to start on Friday.

Will be checking the subframe for bushing condition and will post pics.

** forgot to circle the vertical diff bolts
Old 08-05-19, 01:59 PM
04silver4
Driver School Candidate

How is everything holding up after a year? Very curious about how well aftermarket parts feel compared to oem.
Old 08-05-19, 04:40 PM
YODAONE
Pole Position

Received 414 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by d1ma

- f & r kyb struts
- f lower balljoint
- inner & outer tie rods
- engine mounts
- trans mount
- hood & trunk struts

For best results use OEM parts....or if using aftermarket, Purchase NOTHING made in China.

Ask RockAuto to verify Country of Origin of their parts.

Read this post;

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...rock-auto.html

Aftermarket vendors must earn our business.

There have been concerns raised over their aftermarket parts for LS400.

Rock Auto must address the quality level.of aftermarket Lexus parts, or not offer them.