LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Common suspension wear items

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-18, 03:45 AM
Dustin88
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Common suspension wear items

Just got an 01 ls with 147k. What suspension items usually wear first? Drives ok but something feels loose. I used to have a 99 ls400 and i know front lower ball joints and strut rods usually wear first on 400s, are 430s the same?
Old 01-23-18, 04:55 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I bought a '06 in 10/16, and within a month I took it to Lexus, who did a multipoint. Basically, without even looking at the car, they recommended lower control arms to the tune of $1,400, and front struts. I was taken aback, and sure enough, the indie said neither are needed at 81k, not even due to age. However, because I searched this forum, it seemed that LCA bushings were not a bad idea, so I got them on eBay and the indie pressed the old out, and the new in. All the while insisting, that I would see no benefit. They were correct. And now I understand, because I have seen YouTubes where on a Nissan, they are completely ripped and the arm can be moved by hand--that's where it's necessary. But again, I was at 81k, and you are at 147k, so maybe you might as well do the LCA bushings?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FACTORY-OEM...xaFkG8&vxp=mtr

Just to illustrate how bad the Lexus dealer was, I asked, "Would I fail a state inspection because of that?" They said maybe. And the reality is., no way. I can't imagine being treated like that on a new car, where they try to recommend unneeded repairs for their commission. Contrast to BMW, they suggested thrust arm bushings which are the equivalent, but said you don't have to do them to pass inspection, just wanted to bring it to your attention that they are showing physical wear.
Old 01-23-18, 07:02 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I have an 05 with factory 18" rims and tomorrow it will turn 150k. I've never had ANY suspension work done, and she feels just about as solid (solid steering and no body roll) and smooth on the highway and on-ramps/off-ramps and speed bumps in neighborhoods as she did when purchased at 45k. I think. I have wanted to change the shocks JUST to do them because I want to believe brand new (even aftermarket) will perform better than mine. I haven't splurged for that expense yet.

Are you driving an Ultra with air suspension? It's a totally (potentially) different conversation if you're driving an Ultra.
Old 01-24-18, 01:09 AM
Scootymad
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
I have an 05 with factory 18" rims and tomorrow it will turn 150k. I've never had ANY suspension work done, and she feels just about as solid (solid steering and no body roll) and smooth on the highway and on-ramps/off-ramps and speed bumps in neighborhoods as she did when purchased at 45k. I think. I have wanted to change the shocks JUST to do them because I want to believe brand new (even aftermarket) will perform better than mine. I haven't splurged for that expense yet.

New shocks and an upgraded set of anti roll bars are what you need. The pissant rear ARB in these are pretty hopeless. My Ford Contour had a thicker ARB and that wasn't overly large in the grand scheme of things. I think Ultra Racing do larger bars and chassis brace kits
Old 01-24-18, 04:10 AM
Dustin88
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys, high speed stability is the main problem, having to constantly correct steering and wind and trucks blow it everywhere. Rear sway does seem to be a problem. Do u suggest aftermarket rear sway bar or just poly bushings? I put poly bushings in the fr and rear sway bars on my ls400 and didnt notice a huge improvement
Old 01-24-18, 07:09 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

My 04 UL is stable as a rock at high speeds (80 mph on interstate). A terrific cruiser.
Old 01-24-18, 07:13 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
My 04 UL is stable as a rock at high speeds (80 mph on interstate). A terrific cruiser.
Mine is too....I honestly believe that upon buying my car used, the 4 wheel alignment is what improved it the most. The "before" on the report had every setting red....I don't think new LCAs did anything at all, even though the old had cracks...indie swears the ones that came out were not bad, even with the cracks...
Old 01-24-18, 08:53 AM
Dustin88
Driver School Candidate

Just had an alignment and it looks good on paper, my ls400 had the exact same highspeed stabity problem, maybe i just cant find an alignment tech worth a sh#t
Old 01-24-18, 08:59 AM
toddmorr
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

my '05 UL with 98k is stable as can be at high speeds, no complaints, but I truly do believe it could be tighter to give that new car feeling. I did have that feeling briefly a year ago when I put on new front ARB end links and bushings but either i got used to it, or things loosened up a bit after a few thousand miles. I visually inspected my LCA bushings and no cracks.

lexus is great but i really have a hard time believing a 100k mile car has no material wear on the suspension. Arnott now makes front air struts for like 500 a piece, if they do a rear, I would be sorely tempted to just replace the entire suspension front and rear. I'm DIYer so the cost isn't so crazy and it would be interesting to see the effect.

by the way, the number of used air struts on ebay is amazing, many from Japan which means low miles. I'd bet the price will start to fall big time..
Old 01-24-18, 10:13 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Dustin88
Thanks guys, high speed stability is the main problem, having to constantly correct steering and wind and trucks blow it everywhere. Rear sway does seem to be a problem. Do u suggest aftermarket rear sway bar or just poly bushings? I put poly bushings in the fr and rear sway bars on my ls400 and didnt notice a huge improvement

I have all the ultra racing products only 1 is installed on my car right now the rest will be installed when it gets warmer.

Most people do the oem sport suspension sway bar upgrade and are fine, i would start there the ultra racing sway bars are huge and will change your ride comfort dramatically. I have to look at them but its 28mm front 19mm rear if i am not mistaken, this will also drastically change how your car handles as well so keep that in mind.
Old 01-24-18, 04:34 PM
ls430w140
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Dustin88
Just got an 01 ls with 147k. What suspension items usually wear first? Drives ok but something feels loose. I used to have a 99 ls400 and i know front lower ball joints and strut rods usually wear first on 400s, are 430s the same?
Here is my recommendation to you based on my experience with ls430 and all diy that I did to all my cars.Assuming that you did an alignment and the person doing it didn’t notice any visual damages to any of the bushings, first thing I will strongly recommend you to do is to check the condition of your tires (!). What brand and for how long were they used for in your ls?Poor tire sidewalls and poor tire condition as a result of bad weather or heat will directly affect the stability of your car. You may have all the suspension remade and replaced, but with poor quality tires your LS will drive correspondingly asking you to correct traction at every point of time especially at high speeds.Second thing that I strongly recommend you to verify is your brakes. Uneven brake pad wear, excessive air in the system, poor brake discs condition or poor caliper condition - any of these four condition will significantly contribute to front end or rear end looseness. Some other cars that I owned did not experience similar symptoms while these conditions were present.Third thing that is worth to be looked at is either of: play in Lower ball joint, front rear Lca bushing, strut performance, difference in front left and front right ride height, steering rack bushing, variable steering mechanism, sway bar cushions and links, and correct bushings retorque.
Old 02-03-18, 09:48 AM
hlheaton
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Look the front wheel bearing hubs when experiencing high speed wander

My 2002 LS430 had significant wander at high speeds when I bought it. I looked at the suspension but found no issues. The problem turned out to be the right front wheel bearing hub. It passed inspection but was loose enough to cause wander at highway speeds. After I replaced it, no more wander. You can check it by raising the car up on jack stands then grabbing the tire top and bottom and trying to rock it. More than a millimeter or so play and it should be replaced. This will also check your ball joints, so if you do see play then check to be sure where it is coming from before replacing parts. Check in this forum for how to replace the wheel hub, it is not too hard but getting the old one out can sometimes be a problem due to corrosion. Watch out for cheap aftermarket parts, I tried that at first but ended up repacing it again after a couple of years.
Old 02-03-18, 02:01 PM
mykvr6
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I really need to take the time to inspect everything on mine. Its at 163k. I've already replaced the rear lower control arm bushings, it was missing hub rings on the wheels so they vibrated quite a bit. I've got it tightened up a bit but it still feels a bit loose, likes to bump steer over every little imperfection in the road, etc. I need to check the lower ball joints and probably the wheel bearings, although its not making any noise. It also needs new tires as well so that could be an issue. I think I'm going to let the local independent give it an inspection, check the alignment then I'll look into repairs, new tires and a final alignment when everything is done. I love the way the car drives, it just needs a little love to be perfect
Old 02-03-18, 04:11 PM
ls430w140
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by mykvr6
I really need to take the time to inspect everything on mine. Its at 163k. I've already replaced the rear lower control arm bushings, it was missing hub rings on the wheels so they vibrated quite a bit. I've got it tightened up a bit but it still feels a bit loose, likes to bump steer over every little imperfection in the road, etc. I need to check the lower ball joints and probably the wheel bearings, although its not making any noise. It also needs new tires as well so that could be an issue. I think I'm going to let the local independent give it an inspection, check the alignment then I'll look into repairs, new tires and a final alignment when everything is done. I love the way the car drives, it just needs a little love to be perfect
Knowing that any suspension part is subject to wear and it is difficult to diagnose a problem by two or three sentences, what may be worth to look at in your cause is the following:

- Hub centric rings are usually not something that is required to have on LS.
- Wheels need to be torqued to a hub using right tools and right method to prevent vibrations from this source. Use hand to manually tighten all five bolts to ensure rim is centered, then apply 76 ft lbs torque from your torque wrench. Your wheels will be centered (if your lug nuts are good)
——- Tires need to be force balanced. This is a must on this car.
——- Tires should be made by reputable brand. Cheap tires will cause wandering, vibration, instability during turning, and excessive noise. Poor alignment will aggravate it.
—— Worn wheel bearing may either cause a clunk during turns, or trolley bus noise while accelerating, or “Low Tire Warning” if one of the tire takes significantly more effort to rotate than the other.
—— Old original ball joint or cheap aftermarket LCA ball joint will affect suspension performance as it may not function properly according to Lexus standards. Now, in case if this element fails under heavy load, the consequences will include body damage.
—— From my experience, upper control arms are subject to a tiny wear even after 100k miles compared to lower control arms.
—— What dealers never do to our LS, is verify the condition of steering rack mounts. I ve seen cars that had a problem with moving steering rack under pressure. It will cause floaty steering.

Let me know if you find any of this information useful.
Old 06-26-20, 01:17 PM
danielmew
Driver School Candidate

I just had my front brakes done on my 2004 LS 430 at the dealer. The dealer informed me that my caster bushing are all worn and needed to be replace. They tell me it will cost over $900.00. I told them no for now. The car has over 215k miles. I bought it in 2009 as a CPO. It is still in good shape. I look at one of the local dealers web site (Lexus of Stevens Creek) and it does not list caster bushing. Is it the Bracket Bushing, part #48655-50012? I also notice there are 3 different brackets. They are "no mark" "white mark" and a "pink mark". Is it VIN specific? I could not fine the part in Rock Auto. If that is the caster bushing, what is the Rock Auto part number? You mention the steering rack rubber mounting bushing, what is the part number for that? On a separate note, someone hit my car from behind a couple of years ago and crunched the trunk and rear bumper cover pretty bad. I finally replaced the rear parking sensor this year. The sensors seem to work fine. My wife walk toward each sensor and each activated as expected but when I back up the car the rear sensor fault comes on. Is there a reset I should have done or is there something else there I missed.

Quick Reply: Common suspension wear items