LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Road Trips w Kids- Mods/ports/other ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-18, 06:38 AM
biacs
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Road Trips w Kids- Mods/ports/other ideas?

So I have school age kids, and we play travel hockey. Sometimes I'll take my LS430. SO we have 2 cig ports as stock. I also have a wireless hard drive that runs a media server (MyPassport) and the kids have cheap kindle tablets that they can stream the movies to. I also have a Pioneer Avic 5000 NEX Dash unit that can play DVDs in a pinch

But as you know cig chargers, USB cods etc running all over - it works OK but certainly not a 'cool solution.' I do like to fiddle with wiring and installs to have something that is usually unique.

Anyone have cool road trip set ups in the LS?
Old 01-05-18, 06:48 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 190 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by biacs
So I have school age kids, and we play travel hockey. Sometimes I'll take my LS430. SO we have 2 cig ports as stock. I also have a wireless hard drive that runs a media server (MyPassport) and the kids have cheap kindle tablets that they can stream the movies to. I also have a Pioneer Avic 5000 NEX Dash unit that can play DVDs in a pinch

But as you know cig chargers, USB cods etc running all over - it works OK but certainly not a 'cool solution.' I do like to fiddle with wiring and installs to have something that is usually unique.

Anyone have cool road trip set ups in the LS?
You could do screens in the headrests with a ps4 or what have you underneath the passenger or drivers seat it all matters how far you wanna go. I used to do this stuff for customers when I was in high school 6-7 years ago the craziest thing i ever did was install 22 inch screens in the back of the front seats in a s class benz of some kind the gentlemen also wanted screens in the headrest, visors, doors 4 10 inch subs in the trunk all new speakers around, the car was cool for that time.
Old 01-05-18, 11:38 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Set up a virtual reality system which ties into their smartphones. Maybe even a hotspot with your cellphone provider.
Old 01-05-18, 01:53 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

We have a family of 3 and my son is 4, but my wife much prefers her SUV. Seems like in addition to the space, she likes the privacy. Anyhow like you, we never leave without the adapters, and I am usually riding in the back, which is why I wish I had the curtains and the rear sunshade. My son likes to flip the vanity mirror down on his side which is very annoying at night. We have the original iPad that can be attached to the front pass seat headrest. Battery is just fine after all these years, which is why the iPhone 6 seems to be an engineered outcome. Getting a $29 battery and everyone is rushing? lol

My son was on skates at 1 1/2. But he is not that interested in hockey now, like he was before. DANG. When I was up in Toronto one of our vendors told me how his nephew played juniors in Ontario and everyone thinks their kids are headed to the NHL and we Americans do the college thing but they usually do not....there's still time, I hope my son will gain interest. Your kids are so lucky to have you take them to practice and away tournaments, kudos. I wish that ice weren't at such a premium here. I have a rink that is walking distance, yet it's like you can use it from 3:17 to 3:31 daily, for $20 (exaggerating). My point is it's my township's rink, every prep and public school ice hockey team has it booked. Time to win that Kraft contest!!