LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Price Check - 2006 LS 430

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-17, 08:51 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts
Default Price Check - 2006 LS 430

Just want to see what those members with more knowledge than myself think of this prospective purchase. The car in question is a 2006 LS 430 with the Modern Luxury option as well as smart-key, non-chrome 18 inch wheels, and factory satellite radio. It is Black/Cashmere with 62,000 miles and being offered at a firm $12,500 by the original senior owner. It's never been hit nor had any body repair or paint work. It's always been garaged on a million dollar street. As described, it is "like new" and it looks like it from the photos. The Lexus dealer service history is extensive (18 pages) and quite good except that the timing belt has not been changed. Surprisingly, the Carfax report contains very little of that service history.

Is $12,500 a fair price?
Old 12-31-17, 10:20 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Sounds right. Figure an additional
2 grand for timing belt/ water pump and miscellaneous to get it up to par. If all the paint is original it’s a good buy. How’s the tires? What brand?
Old 12-31-17, 10:23 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by TriC
Just want to see what those members with more knowledge than myself think of this prospective purchase. The car in question is a 2006 LS 430 with the Modern Luxury option as well as smart-key, non-chrome 18 inch wheels, and factory satellite radio. It is Black/Cashmere with 62,000 miles and being offered at a firm $12,500 by the original senior owner. It's never been hit nor had any body repair or paint work. It's always been garaged on a million dollar street. As described, it is "like new" and it looks like it from the photos. The Lexus dealer service history is extensive (18 pages) and quite good except that the timing belt has not been changed. Not surprisingly, the Carfax report contains very little of that service history.

Is $12,500 a fair price?
That's not a terrible price, but the timing belt service could be a bargaining point. Not sure if that's something you would do, or take it to a shop, but plan on 1200-1500 for a shop to do it, or 300 or so for you to swap it out.
With lots of service history, that does make it a better car from my viewpoint
Old 12-31-17, 11:51 AM
TriC
Racer

Bocatrip (for some reason the quote feature is not working) - the tires were installed by the dealer 7000 miles ago. Not sure of the brand, but all of those listed on the dealer website are rated 50K miles or better. I won't be driving it much, so they will no doubt be fine for a long time. All of the paint is original, a BIG plus in my book.
Old 12-31-17, 11:52 AM
TriC
Racer

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
That's not a terrible price, but the timing belt service could be a bargaining point. Not sure if that's something you would do, or take it to a shop, but plan on 1200-1500 for a shop to do it, or 300 or so for you to swap it out.
With lots of service history, that does make it a better car from my viewpoint
I have already used the lack of timing belt service as leverage. He had started much higher.
Old 01-01-18, 02:13 AM
iriz
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

To me it sounds like a steal - and I really have to scratch my head over what people here consider important - tires? I couldn't care less.

It's a garaged one-owner car - in my book that is worth thousands of dollars.
Old 01-01-18, 04:21 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

I have already used the lack of timing belt service as leverage. He had started much higher.
Well, sir, then in my humble opinion, you have found your car! Please post picks when you get it home, we love that stuff here...
Old 01-01-18, 06:57 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 166 Posts

Just want to see what those members with more knowledge than myself think of this prospective purchase. The car in question is a 2006 LS 430 with the Modern Luxury option as well as smart-key, non-chrome 18 inch wheels, and factory satellite radio. It is Black/Cashmere with 62,000 miles and being offered at a firm $12,500 by the original senior owner. It's never been hit nor had any body repair or paint work. It's always been garaged on a million dollar street. As described, it is "like new" and it looks like it from the photos. The Lexus dealer service history is extensive (18 pages) and quite good except that the timing belt has not been changed. Surprisingly, the Carfax report contains very little of that service history.

Is $12,500 a fair price?
Hey man not trying to be a downer but just because it does not say it was it in a accident does not mean it was not you need to inspect under the engine plastics, the bottom fender pieces, the trunk underneath the carpet on eac side there is going to be to plastic covers check the metal around and underneath that area also make sure there is no over spray on any of the car pay close attention to the rubber trim around the doors, engine bay and trunk.

I am not detering you from buying a car that has had an accident, my car has had 3 "accidents" since I owned it due to my insurance company playing games when I filed a vandalism claim so just keep a sharp eye out for stuff and if something looks off avoid it like the plague lol

A good resource to check out cars is vinwiki it is a great tool that can really helpbyou learn the history a certain car if there is information on it.
Old 01-01-18, 07:01 AM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 157 Likes on 116 Posts

If you decide against it, post a link to the sale. Some others here might be interested.
Old 01-01-18, 09:17 AM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Very fair price, and sounds like a great car. The mileage is really low. I would change that timing belt the day you buy it. If you don't want it, let us know. I would like to upgrade my 2002 UL (silver, black leather, rosewood, 104,000 miles) to a newer 430. I don't want a 460, because my certified Lexus tech told me that the 430 is a much better car. Also, I had my tires rotated, and the owner of the tire shop (I've been using them for as long as I can remember. They really know about cars, and are serious about accuracy, etc.) happened to compliment my car, and tell me that he way preferred a 430 to a 460, because the 460 is over engineered, less reliable, and has less rotor life.
Old 01-01-18, 01:22 PM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Sounds like a nice car. Do you have a link so that I can give you an honest opinion?
Old 01-01-18, 01:43 PM
TriC
Racer

Originally Posted by iriz
To me it sounds like a steal - and I really have to scratch my head over what people here consider important - tires? I couldn't care less.

It's a garaged one-owner car - in my book that is worth thousands of dollars.
It's interesting what different people believe is important. Except for my first car, all of the 50 or so used cars I've bought over the past 46 years have been via private sales because I put great weight on a car's "home." Color and options are critical when buying new, but not so much when used IMHO. Rather, it's all about condition.
Old 01-01-18, 01:48 PM
TriC
Racer

XJSFan (evidently one can't quote when a post is under a certain length) - sorry, no, the ad has been taken down. It was not up long. Heck, I had to sell myself to the owner as he didn't want his "baby" going to just anyone!
Old 01-01-18, 06:33 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Whomever goes to check the car out for you needs to check the AUTOMATIC function of the tilt & telescopic steering wheel. The tilt/telescoping motor is a very common failure point in due time.

Another common failure are the door lock solenoids. Make sure all the doors LOCK and also UNLOCK (either with the Smartkey or simply using the power lock/unlock button at the driver's position.

It would not hurt to take an OBD2 scanner to make sure there's no pending "codes".

It wouldn't hurt to play the music loudly. Another common failure is the Mark Levinson amplifier, or sometimes even the speakers being dry-rotted or simply worn out. I am guilty of shutting off the radio when doing a test drive, just to listen to everything. You still should do that, but then make sure to turn the radio onto a good music channel, and crank it up a little bit, and observe the sound.

Check all the GLASS. If never replaced before, they should all say Lexus on each piece of glass.............(unless you fight the insurance company and get genuine OEM Toy/Lex glass like I did a couple months ago!) Woot-woot!!! lol

Those are some of the most common failures on the 04-06 LS, besides the air suspension, but that's only on the UL's.

BTW----I personally wouldn't pay $12.5k for it. $11k yes, $12k probably not. Just my thoughts

PS---if you decide to get it, tell him you want a FULL tank of premium also!
Old 01-02-18, 05:14 AM
TriC
Racer

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
Whomever goes to check the car out for you needs to check the AUTOMATIC function of the tilt & telescopic steering wheel. The tilt/telescoping motor is a very common failure point in due time.

Another common failure are the door lock solenoids. Make sure all the doors LOCK and also UNLOCK (either with the Smartkey or simply using the power lock/unlock button at the driver's position.

It would not hurt to take an OBD2 scanner to make sure there's no pending "codes".

It wouldn't hurt to play the music loudly. Another common failure is the Mark Levinson amplifier, or sometimes even the speakers being dry-rotted or simply worn out. I am guilty of shutting off the radio when doing a test drive, just to listen to everything. You still should do that, but then make sure to turn the radio onto a good music channel, and crank it up a little bit, and observe the sound.

Check all the GLASS. If never replaced before, they should all say Lexus on each piece of glass.............(unless you fight the insurance company and get genuine OEM Toy/Lex glass like I did a couple months ago!) Woot-woot!!! lol

Those are some of the most common failures on the 04-06 LS, besides the air suspension, but that's only on the UL's.

BTW----I personally wouldn't pay $12.5k for it. $11k yes, $12k probably not. Just my thoughts

PS---if you decide to get it, tell him you want a FULL tank of premium also!
Thanks, am aware of those (and other) weaknesses in the breed. I'm not really worried about things that can be fixed though. Of far greater concern are those things that can't be remedied. A car with 130,000 miles can never have 62,000 miles. A body that has been repaired cannot be returned to original paint status.

Based on value guides and anecdotes on this site, $11,000 might buy a 2005 with comparable mileage if one is lucky. More likely, it would have been driven 100,000 miles by multiple owners and/or have an accident history.

Quick Reply: Price Check - 2006 LS 430