LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

A650E Transmission Fried? 01' LS430

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-17, 07:46 PM
kaizmauka
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default A650E Transmission Fried? 01' LS430

2001 Lexus LS430....229,000 miles...driven relatively hard....one day cruising along at 70 mph transmission fluid began burning up on the exhayst causing lots of smoke...i kept driving for a few miles, which was probably a bad idea but I really had to get to the nearest town.
Anyhow...transmission started slipping and eventually it was not engaging at all.

Got car towed to a transmission shop 50 miles away where they replaced the torque converter, seals, bushings, pump, mount, and some hoses.
The car drove fine on the 400 mile trip back home but I noticed the transmission behaved a bit differently than usual...it would rev higher especially when going downhill it was engine braking much more than usual.
Almost back to Canada and in Seattle at a gas station it happened again...as I attempted to pull out it stopped engaging. Had to let the car sit before the transmission would engage just a little bit...but it would eventually slip again and not engage.

Had the car taken to Lexus of Seattle where they drained the fluid and filled it to specs, yet the problem persisted to it was assumed that something was damaged internally.

1. What is the likelihood that this transmission has been misdiagnosed and in fact not internally damaged? Is there any chance that the issue relates to sonething external?

2. If the transmission is in fact damaged internally, how did it manage to drive so far following the work that was done?

Really curious as to how these transmissions look like inside and what the damage is...guess theres only one way to find out!

PS. Has anyone ever busted their A650E ? Please share your experiences!
Old 10-01-17, 07:51 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Can I ask why you are starting up another thread with your transmission problems? You could have simply asked these questions in your other threads...
The following users liked this post:
Duck05 (10-01-17)
Old 10-01-17, 07:59 PM
ejthomp
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Transmission fluid burned up on exhaust? Trying to imagine how that happened.

So you had a hose leak? And the fluid leaked out? And you kept driving until the transmission stopped working?

Someone fixed it, but the fix didn’t seem right so again you drove it until it wouldn’t move.

Now you’re wondering if you might have internal damage?

Sounds like you had a hose leak that could have been fixed for $50, but you ignored it and now need an entire transmission.
Old 10-01-17, 08:07 PM
kaizmauka
Driver

Originally Posted by Gronemus
Can I ask why you are starting up another thread with your transmission problems? You could have simply asked these questions in your other threads...
Theres a higher probability I will get more responses from different members..I apologize if it is annoying other members, I understand what you are saying but I am trying to get as much opinion as possible.
Old 10-01-17, 08:12 PM
kaizmauka
Driver

Originally Posted by ejthomp
Transmission fluid burned up on exhaust? Trying to imagine how that happened.

So you had a hose leak? And the fluid leaked out? And you kept driving until the transmission stopped working?

Someone fixed it, but the fix didn’t seem right so again you drove it until it wouldn’t move.

Now you’re wondering if you might have internal damage?

Sounds like you had a hose leak that could have been fixed for $50, but you ignored it and now need an entire transmission.

Ok I get it...but if you were in my shoes you would have done the same thing...given the circumstances....500 miles from home in a remote valley and got to get back to work in 2 days. ..Plus I didn't know it was transmission fluid leaking, thought it was oil.
But yes if I had been at home this probably all wouldn't have been so bad.
Old 10-01-17, 08:41 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by kaizmauka
Theres a higher probability I will get more responses from different members..I apologize if it is annoying other members, I understand what you are saying but I am trying to get as much opinion as possible.
I've been on this board about a year now. The one thing that I have observed is that there is a core group of owners that generally read through each thread and will follow the progress sometime daily. These are the guys/gals that are most likely going to offer you good advise. IMHO (and I could be wrong) but if you start creating multiple threads about the same issue there is a higher chance that these people are just going to start ignoring you and that's not what you want.

I understand the predicament that you are currently in but I think you could have easily added this to your 2nd thread when it became apparent that you were going to need a new transmission.

Hoping for a good, relatively inexpensive outcome for you...
Old 10-01-17, 08:47 PM
kaizmauka
Driver

I've been on this board about a year now. The one thing that I have observed is that there is a core group of owners that generally read through each thread and will follow the progress sometime daily. These are the guys/gals that are most likely going to offer you good advise. IMHO (and I could be wrong) but if you start creating multiple threads about the same issue there is a higher chance that these people are just going to start ignoring you and that's not what you want.

I understand the predicament that you are currently in but I think you could have easily added this to your 2nd thread when it became apparent that you were going to need a new transmission.

Hoping for a good, relatively inexpensive outcome for you...
Thank you for your honesty, I am beginning to understand how this forum works and I agree it was probably more of an emotional response on my end to post multiple threads that were basicslly relating to the same topic
Anyhow, I look forward to posting more in the future when it doesnt relate to a predicament!!