LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

01' ls430 flaring when shifting? Possible causes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-17, 03:48 PM
kaizmauka
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 01' ls430 flaring when shifting? Possible causes?

Hey guys I have posted here before regarding my transmission issues..just wanted to update everyone, the "new" A650E tranny is still running after about 2000 additional miles or so..however the transmission flare is not improving and it seems to be getting worse. Especially I am noticing that when I put the car into reverse there is a strong delayed jerk.
But I am wondering if anyone here has ever encountered flaring for whatever reason..and if so please include what repairs were done to fix it.
Hopefully I don't have to replace the transmission a 3rd time! If that is the case I might as well invest in a manual swap...auto trannys are annoying...too complicated!!
Old 11-19-17, 06:24 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

What's the outside temperature when this is happening? in Fahrenheit, please

It was about 14 degrees one morning last week and mine hesitated before moving into reverse. First time it's ever done that...

If it's doing the same thing as the previous transmission, I would be suspect of the Trans ECM...
The following users liked this post:
kaizmauka (11-19-17)
Old 11-19-17, 01:14 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,238 Posts

I recall the story. Well mostly.
Was this used trans pulled apart? It was the original that got the new front pump and torque converter, yes?

Honestly if its been flaring for 2000mi it has likely burned the clutches and the bands.

Low fluid and the wrong fluid are first and most obvious killers. A restricted filter and/or low line pressure can also make lazy shifts that lead to flairing as well. I have seen a bad ground lead to low current and sluggish or no shifts as the solenoids are slow to respond.

Like I said on those original threads, slipping destroys the clutches as it burns both the clutch material and steels which opens the clearance in the clutch pack. From here and when the load overcomes the holding power of packs it all goes down hill damaging itself by raising the heat and putting burned material into circulation.

The delay into rewind sounds like low pressure and its time is limited.
kaizmauka (11-19-17)
Old 11-19-17, 11:06 PM
kaizmauka
Driver

Temperature has been between 45 and 55 degrees F. I haven't noticed much change based on temperature...there is no obvious correlation...or perhaps I am just not noticing it...I will try to note the temperature more often.

Back to the original problem...if in fact the clutches and are worn out and crap can you or anyone you know recommend where I can buy a properly working A650E transmission that will not flare or act strangely? I paid only about 300 dollars for this current transmission, and so I suppose I should not expect to get anything great...yet I am still pretty pissed because afterall I had to drop like 900 bucks to have the thing put in...so about 1200 total which is a pretty good deal...yet if I do this again I will make damn sure that the transmission I am putting is like brand new or better....perhaps even a re-manufactured tranny?
Old 11-19-17, 11:53 PM
kaizmauka
Driver

Thank you for your feedback 2013FSport and 2KHarrier...really appreciate it.
So I would love to think that it is just low line pressure or something non-internal but it seems to me that this is truly and internal problem that the transmission guys just didn't wanna tell me strait to my face for whatever reason. I believe it is internal because the shop did everything they could (according to what the mechanic told me on the phone) that it was not the computer or fluid levels or lines etc etc....however I am sure there is more they could have done just because obviously they aren't going to go too far out of their way to do stuff as long as the tranny works....albeit the flaring.

So anyways...I have attached the files of all the transmission work that I did in those few crucial days...you will be able to see all that was done transmission wise.

1. 9/26/2017 First transmission shop I ended up at..they rebuilt the exterior of the tranny..only got about 500 more miles out of it after this util it failed again..probably because damage was internal and so this was just a quick fix (not a rebuild). They put new pump, seals, mount, torque converter...etc.

2. JDM used parts store / importer ....bought the JDM A650E from them...had about 50K miles according to them...they claim it is in good shape.

3. 10/04/2017 Transmission Shop ii....Installed aforementioned transmission.

Old 11-20-17, 08:23 AM
2KHarrier

Ouch... I hate to see you continue to throw money at this thing until something sticks, but it could very well be the "Low mileage" trans they sold you...

I take it you're out of the 30 day warranty window?
Old 11-20-17, 12:41 PM
kaizmauka
Driver

Thanks man I hear you...it is hard throwing so much into it in such a short time period...but right now I am in the process of getting the claim reassessment...basically when I had the original transmission dropped the mechanics in Oregon noted that the transmission mount was broken and the tray was not properly secured..this leads me to belive that the original leak had been caused from the accident...and of course it was too late once I noticed as I didn't have the transmission inspected following the crash...everything seemed to be fine.

Also, I talked to the shop that sold me the JDM tranny and they stand behind their product and are suggesting that the tranny oil pan may have been cracked when they sold it too me and the tranny shop decided to throw it in anyways (hence the flaring). They say that since the tranny are shipped in on crates there is always a chance of damage in transport.
However, of course I will have to try and prove that the crack wasn't formed following installation..but it would have been obvious if I hit something hard enough to do this...so we think it was cracked prior to install.
Old 11-20-17, 12:44 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Sorry to hear about all the problems! How many miles on your car?
Old 11-20-17, 12:49 PM
kaizmauka
Driver

240,000 miles...this car was virtually flawless before the front end damage...only a bit creaky but had been babied it's entire life...that's why I really wanna keep it running...plus I just love the color (parchment crystal)...but if I find a good deal on a low mileage LS430 I may look into getting a fresher one if it's also parchment crystal or moonlight pearl.
Old 11-20-17, 01:10 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by kaizmauka
240,000 miles...this car was virtually flawless before the front end damage...only a bit creaky but had been babied it's entire life...that's why I really wanna keep it running...plus I just love the color (parchment crystal)...but if I find a good deal on a low mileage LS430 I may look into getting a fresher one if it's also parchment crystal or moonlight pearl.
Before you put any more money into repairs, you might want to consider buying something with fewer miles......
There are plenty of nice well maintained 430's w/ mid 100's that are a bargain. These are amazing cars. I recently drove
a perfect dealer service 04 ML w/ 177. Quiet, comfortable, smooth, lots of power, everything worked.
Old 11-20-17, 01:40 PM
kaizmauka
Driver

Yeah I am just worried that I will lose a lot of money if I get a newer one..it's gonna be at least like 7 or 8 grand for a new 04' - 06' ...hoping the insurance will cover/reimburse me for all my tranny Costs. If not then how much do you expect I can sell my 01' for? It has a custom TIG welded catback plus chrome rims and new headlights...plus it has 0 guage copper for subs installed.
Old 11-20-17, 02:29 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

I don't know what a non stock high mileage '01 430 w/ transmission problems is worth. Anyone else know? A Sacramento (CA) Toyota dealer just sold a 04 Modern Luxury (177) for under 7k. Perfect interior/exterior, full dealer service history. Hopefully your insurance will pay for repair costs. Mine definitely will not. Based on your posts, you may have to deal w/ more repairs which are usually expensive w/ these cars.

Just checked Craig's. Down here, there's an 02 (237) for 3,300. An 01 (277), needs trans for 2,800. A nice 02 (158) for 3,800.

Good luck!
Old 11-20-17, 05:49 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

What do you know about the Qty. 9 "Platinum Fluid" used in your transmission. Is the fluid compatible with the Toyota ATF?

If they used Pennzoil Platinum ATF, it is not compatible with the 2001 LS430, which requires Toyota T-IV ATF.

Last edited by rkw77080; 11-20-17 at 06:06 PM.
kaizmauka (11-20-17)
Old 11-20-17, 08:36 PM
kaizmauka
Driver

I brough the car to a Mr. Lube near my house and on August 25th the drained the ATF and put in Toyota Type T-IV. I noticed no difference in the transmission before before or after the transmission service.
I'm bringing it to Wilf's transmission tommorrow where Wilf will ispect it..he is one of the best guys in Vancover from what I understand.
It looks as though the JDM supplier is backing their product and the guys there claim it may have been damaged during transit before they sold it to me ( there is an impact on the bottom of the oil pan that may have been there the whole time and somehow the transmission shop in Seattle installed the transmission without noting that it was impacted? Really strange stuff...because I don't remember ever impacting anything that would cause such a dent on the bottom of the oil pan (feel like I would have noticed, lol)...this just keeps getting wierder..I know..just wanna get to the bottom of this...will keep everyone updated!
Old 11-21-17, 04:51 AM
2KHarrier

Good to hear that the shop might be standing behind the sale. That's huge. Hopefully the 3rd times a charm, eh?

Quick Reply: 01' ls430 flaring when shifting? Possible causes?