LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Transmission leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-17, 06:32 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts
Default Transmission leak

I have been aware that I have a number of engine leaks and one transmission leak for over a year. However, nothing has leaked on my garage or driveway floor until now. The transmission leak (which is now showing on the floor) was diagnosed awhile back coming from the transmission shifter bushing. I have been using my trusty Indy shop which happens to be a transmission shop. Even though I was able to see the exact spot the leak was coming from, my mechanic told me the trans has to be removed and that while it was out he would change all the seals and take care of the engine oil leaks as well which include the pan, tip stick o ring, oil level sender and rear main as well as all transmission seals. I believe we are talking big dollars here ($2,000). Has anyone else had to repair the trans shifter seal and have to remove the transmission? Does that price sound like it's in the ballpark for an Indy shop? I do have confidence in my mechanic as he was previously a service manager for Lexus. I hate spending this much money on an older car, but my car is just about flawless in body and interioir condition with 130,000 miles. Selling and finding a replacement would be a task and I've been looking for over a year with no luck. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-28-17, 06:54 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I was told when my indie did a multipoint check, that my output shaft had a leak, and they suggested that I address it prior to replacing the fluid. I did not see it at the time, and I could find nothing about it on this forum, but found it mentioned on Toyota forums. The part was dirt cheap, I think the labor was 1 hour, tranny did not have to be removed. Dunno of this type of leak could eventually show up under the vehicle, my understanding was that it was beginning to seep out....(it irks me that two Lexus multipoints did not mention--I think 1) they don't care they would replace the tranny when it fails OR 2) they didn't even look and was more focused on my clutch reservoir being full (box was checked)

EXTENSION HOUSING SEAL 90311-42024
Old 08-28-17, 07:11 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I was told when my indie did a multipoint check, that my output shaft had a leak, and they suggested that I address it prior to replacing the fluid. I did not see it at the time, and I could find nothing about it on this forum, but found it mentioned on Toyota forums. The part was dirt cheap, I think the labor was 1 hour, tranny did not have to be removed. Dunno of this type of leak could eventually show up under the vehicle, my understanding was that it was beginning to seep out....(it irks me that two Lexus multipoints did not mention--I think 1) they don't care they would replace the tranny when it fails OR 2) they didn't even look and was more focused on my clutch reservoir being full (box was checked)

EXTENSION HOUSING SEAL 90311-42024
Thanks John. I will take my car back to my Indy to revisit my leak and make sure we are talking about the same output shaft leak/extension housing seal. For these kind of dollars of course I will double check. I hate to think my mechanic would deceive me as I have worked with him for a number of years.
Old 08-28-17, 07:21 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Thanks John. I will take my car back to my Indy to revisit my leak and make sure we are talking about the same output shaft leak/extension housing seal. For these kind of dollars of course I will double check. I hate to think my mechanic would deceive me as I have worked with him for a number of years.
Maybe ask if you can see it....when it was mentioned to me, it was my first visit to the indie to get the LCA bushings pressed out/in, and so they told me whenever they have a new customer, they go over the vehicle thoroughly and provide a report of what might be recommended....so I never saw the leak myself.....now I just ask them to show me everything while the vehicle is on the lift....ask your mechanic to show you....my leak would have been only at the back where the driveshaft joins....yours per the mechanic sounds like there's more to it?? The part is so cheap ($12?), shame it takes over $100 in labor to do it....now that I think about it, I wonder if fluid is lost when that seal is replaced? Because they did drain/fill #1 on the same visit....
Old 08-28-17, 08:19 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Maybe ask if you can see it....when it was mentioned to me, it was my first visit to the indie to get the LCA bushings pressed out/in, and so they told me whenever they have a new customer, they go over the vehicle thoroughly and provide a report of what might be recommended....so I never saw the leak myself.....now I just ask them to show me everything while the vehicle is on the lift....ask your mechanic to show you....my leak would have been only at the back where the driveshaft joins....yours per the mechanic sounds like there's more to it?? The part is so cheap ($12?), shame it takes over $100 in labor to do it....now that I think r Sid about it, I wonder if fluid is lost when that seal is replaced? Because they did drain/fill #1 on the same visit....
I was shown my trans leak last year. It's on the passenger side very close to the trans pan. You can see linkage going up from the bushing.
Old 08-28-17, 11:01 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Default Not a trasmission leak afterall

UPDATE: After taking my car back to my Indie for re inspection of what I thought was a progressive trans leak turns out to be my front passenger side strut leaking. Incidentally, I had both front struts changed by Lexus over 2 years ago. The receipt reads that any work done by this dealership (not covered under any warranty) will give a lifetime replacement for parts and labor. The two bits of good news is not having to pay for the strut replacement (to be seen) and the trans leak has not gotten worse! I'll stop by my local Lexus dealership tomorrow to hopefully get things sorted out. . Never had a lifetime warranty before from a dealership on repairs done at the facility. If true it's a good policy to keep the customers coming back. I'll keep the forum posted.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 08-28-17 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-28-17, 11:16 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Good that it's not the tranny....but that's odd that if a dealer used OE parts, that it would already have a problem....I don't think you should have any issue....

Here's what happened to me...

I once had someone write "lifetime guarantee on all parts, resonator included," sign it, and staple his business card on the invoice, at a national chain, and they refused to honor it 2 yrs. later when the part failed. This was one time when the BBB couldn't help (they sided with the shop, say what?!). The position they took was that the manager did not have the authority to offer a lifetime guarantee (he only had the authority to grab my monay and run!), and not only that, he is no longer at the local shop, and the chain was purchased, no longer publically traded, was now based out of Palm Beach and owned by a Japanese co. (that surprised me how rude they were, but imho it's not the Japanese co. but the FLA headquarters). Trust the M***** touch my you know what!
Old 08-28-17, 11:28 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Good that it's not the tranny....but that's odd that if a dealer used OE parts, that it would already have a problem....I don't think you should have any issue....

Here's what happened to me...

I once had someone write "lifetime guarantee on all parts, resonator included," sign it, and staple his business card on the invoice, at a national chain, and they refused to honor it 2 yrs. later when the part failed. This was one time when the BBB couldn't help (they sided with the shop, say what?!). The position they took was that the manager did not have the authority to offer a lifetime guarantee (he only had the authority to grab my monay and run!), and not only that, he is no longer at the local shop, and the chain was purchased, no longer publically traded, was now based out of Palm Beach and owned by a Japanese co. (that surprised me how rude they were, but imho it's not the Japanese co. but the FLA headquarters). Trust the M***** touch my you know what!
I agree about being skeptical however it was done at a well known lexus dealership that does a tremendous amount of work in the area. I have the original invoice and it is printed on the back in very clear language. I am still unable to find the exclusion for this repair as I used the Lexus dealership for labor and their parts and did not have any extended or factory warranty. That's been a gimmick at this dealership. Now I need to see how it works.
Old 08-30-17, 10:23 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Dropped my car off at Lexus yesterday to check the leaking front strut. I was called today to pickup my car. Strut was replaced with the lifetime free replacement. No charge.
Old 08-30-17, 06:21 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

Dropped my car off at Lexus yesterday to check the leaking front strut. I was called today to pickup my car. Strut was replaced with the lifetime free replacement. No charge.
now that's what i call customer satisfaction
The following users liked this post:
Bocatrip (08-31-17)
Old 08-30-17, 06:56 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

You must be talking about JM Lexus. They even offer that on batteries(or used to when I had my 430 a couple years ago). I had the battery replaced a few times under that warranty. They would do it without me even asking! Glad they got your issue fixed fast.
The following users liked this post:
Bocatrip (08-31-17)
Old 08-31-17, 05:51 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS430FL
You must be talking about JM Lexus. They even offer that on batteries(or used to when I had my 430 a couple years ago). I had the battery replaced a few times under that warranty. They would do it without me even asking! Glad they got your issue fixed fast.
Interesting, maybe it's like a lifetime alignment, where it takes 3 times to break even? Say you get a timing belt job for $1800 at a Lexus dealer, but an indie charges $850. You come back for #2 which they didn't expect because it's 90k later, and they do the job for free. You're almost even. Now, you come back 180k later and tell them to do job #3 for free, and you're ahead?

Interesting timing belt is not included nor excluded, and they are smart enough to exclude door actuators? They also use the word opinion, and state the replacement will not exceed the cost of the original...

http://jml.jmlexus.com/Lifetime_warr...ertificate.pdf
Old 08-31-17, 12:06 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LS430FL
Yes. I would like to say this....If I were the original owner of my 2001 Lexus LS430 purchased new for approximately $62,000 back then.....and I appreciated what a super reliable superb car I owned, I would once the factory warranty was over, bring my car to this Lexus dealership for the lifetime warranty on certain items, knowing that after keeping my car for as long as I have (8 years from purchase in 2010).....it would be a worthwhile investment. Especially on expensive parts! Yes they are super expensive so I'd pick and choose which items to take there for installation. Regardless, it's nice to replace an item that should last the lifetime of the car but failing after only 2 1/2 years free of charge. Especially on a 16 year old car!!!!!